1324 replies to this topic

#1231 HelloSailor

HelloSailor

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 10:40 AM

When you read some of the comments on his twitter (from people that will be imminently blocked, I'm sure), you can see why he's upset. He's being called a bad father, only interested in money, told to fuck off, etc. A lot of people seem shocked by the fact that he brought a film crew to St Lucia... it's funny, because as a fan, I knew about this footage for years, that documentary was even available in full on youtube after it aired on C4, I always assumed people had seen it or knew about it.

What this film seems to have done is bring to people's attention stuff that we already knew about, as fans, to a wider public. Some people are only discovering how complicated her story was, and how implicated her family (or at least her dad) were in her finances/career, as well as her health. They were very involved. Too involved (and thus unable to take a step back and think ONLY of Amy and not of her work commitments). 

I mean I think it's really poor form that he is still criticizing the film and Asif and that he doesn't understand how this documentary is helping her legacy and her image, but he's not entirely paranoid : people are indeed talking about him and judging him. If he wasn't so self-centred and guilt-ridden of course, it would be water off a duck's back. 

• inwinoveritas and HiddenTreasures like this

#1232 inwinoveritas

inwinoveritas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 11:20 PM

i know, that it must be hard and devastating to read things like 'you're a piece of shit' or 'you're the worst father ever', but this guy terribly needs to sort himself out! he can'T rant about the movie and insult it all the time, like 5 year old would do. and because of this behavior it's also no surprize, that most of his tweets are negative! if  he's feeling insulted, than he should go to the source of this, instead of insulting Asif (who never insulted him) and comment on these tweets and blog entries or web page comments annd portrayals in magazine (but inn a more appropriate way), instead of saying that a faboulus doc was bad

• HelloSailor likes this

#1233 WhoDat

WhoDat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 01:13 AM

I think Mitch needs to sort out his issues in private rather than over Twitter. Going into a Twitter rage over things that people are saying to him isn't going to actually make him feel any better about himself or his role in Amy's life in the long run. Social media is not a kind place at the best of times and Mitch would probably be better served by getting away from that. The fact that he is directing so much of his anger at Asif would indicate that the film has touched a nerve, so perhaps Mitch should take a step back and examine that.

• inwinoveritas, SarahMermaid, HelloSailor and 1 other like this
"They laughed when I said I was going to become a comedian. Well, they're not laughing now." - Bob Monkhouse

#1234 HelloSailor

HelloSailor

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 10:44 AM

... and you know what Amy would say : 'write a fucking song about it' !

• Uno, SarahMermaid, Love is a losing game and 1 other like this

#1235 inwinoveritas

inwinoveritas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 10:15 PM

I think Mitch needs to sort out his issues in private rather than over Twitter. Going into a Twitter rage over things that people are saying to him isn't going to actually make him feel any better about himself or his role in Amy's life in the long run. Social media is not a kind place at the best of times and Mitch would probably be better served by getting away from that. The fact that he is directing so much of his anger at Asif would indicate that the film has touched a nerve, so perhaps Mitch should take a step back and examine that.

yeah, if he gets ragious on Twitter, he gets exactly the reverse of what he wants, cause he's just turning more people against him, if he's acting like that. he should go off Twitter and should do this more privately. and he also doesnT# do himself and his image a favor, if he is saying, that the movie is miserable or that it's all a lie (HOW? this is a doc with lots of private footage and evidential material) and he is ranting about it! maybe he feels like he has done something wrong, which has been exposed to a broader audience, but i think, that most fans and people who arent' even fans already knew about this and secondly he seemingly puts the doc in responsibility of what he's done, this is what a 5 yo would do. it would have been a lot better, if he said something like yeah, i made lots of terrible and irreversible mistakes and i regret everything about it. it would have been a fair thing to say, i guess!

• GoddessAmy likes this

#1236 amh91

amh91

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 16 February 2016 - 11:05 PM

http://www.goldderby...ry-feature.html

Based on "expert" predictions, the odds are almost unanimously in Amy's favour. Here's hoping.

• inwinoveritas, Love is a losing game, GoddessAmy and 1 other like this

#1237 amywinehousequeen

amywinehousequeen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 10:59 PM

Maybe we should all pitch in together and buy Mitch some intense therapy sessions! x

"Before the forum can make contact with Mitch, the foundation first requires an, at minimum, £20,000 donation. We help kids in 54748449 countries... blah... blah..." 

• Love is a losing game and GoddessAmy like this

#1238 GoddessAmy

GoddessAmy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 19 February 2016 - 09:11 PM

Maybe we should all pitch in together and buy Mitch some intense therapy sessions! x

"Before the forum can make contact with Mitch, the foundation first requires an, at minimum, £20,000 donation. We help kids in 54748449 countries... blah... blah..." 

fantastic! so true! you're so right! thanks for saying it! hope Amy is smiling xx

• Love is a losing game likes this

#1239 amyinourhearts

amyinourhearts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 12:45 PM

Hey folks! Would be great if you share your opinion of the documentary on his facebook (https://www.facebook.../asifkapadia.ak).

I think we should be GRATEFUL,without him we could never get the chance of watch those amazing footages and inedit videos. He did a lot of work, so please be positive in the comments.

#1240 amh91

amh91

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 20 February 2016 - 06:36 PM

http://www.digitalsp...nehouse-family/

Glad to hear this. 

#1241 mayday

mayday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 08:19 AM

https://twitter.com/...729408807944192

what the hell is wrong with him? "still hate the film though" 

really? you hate the film that has single handedly changed everyones point of view about your daughter? from everyone labeling her a drug addict, crack head, alcoholic mess to being respected, being remembered, from countless artists remembering her and sharing their condolences, from getting awards years after her death. this movie has raised so much awareness, not only on amy but mental illness and drug abuse, this film will go down in history as one of the most powerful documentaries in recent memory, the sheer power fullness of it was incredible. everyone knew how it was gonna end but it invested you in amy to the point where you had slight hope she would make it alive. it's educational, it will be shown to upcoming artists, the editing was spot on, the way it told the story, the images presented. 

so mitch how about you get your head out of your egotistical ass and pay respect. we know you loss your daughter but how you present yourself right now represents amy a lot more than you think, everytime this film is mentioned it will be tagged with "the winehouse family did not aprove" why? because of you. learn to appreciate what this movie has done to your daughters legacy, whether it wins 1 award or 100, amy winehouse's legacy and image was refurbished with this movie whether you like it or not. pathetic. 

• Sassy, dykehaze, ToKnowHerIsToLoveHer and 4 others like this

#1242 Guest_Chris_*

Guest_Chris_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2016 - 06:32 PM

http://www.billboard...ry-guest-column

"AMY offers the clearest, most powerful portrait of the effects of addiction I've ever seen on film." - Dr. Drew

• Sassy, HelloSailor, Love is a losing game and 2 others like this

#1243 HelloSailor

HelloSailor

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 08:20 PM

http://www.billboard...ry-guest-column

"Amy offers the clearest, most powerful portrait of the effects of addiction I’ve ever seen on film." - Dr. Drew

Excellent analysis of the problem, in my opinion.

I don't know who Dr. Drew is, but what he has to say is important. For those who wont click on the link, it's definitely worth a read, not just about her but regarding her entourage also  : 

The Oscar-nominated documentary Amy takes an honest look at an incredible singing talent who was also suffering from a common chronic disease. Although Amy Winehouse’s voice was indisputably unique, there was really nothing unusual about her addiction. Like so many other addicts living in the glare of celebrity, Amy needed to be treated like everyone else. It’s easy to place celebrities on a pedestal and believe that their problem stems from the special circumstances of celebrity, therefore their treatment requires special handling, but through years of experience, I’ve learned the opposite is true.

Contrary to what many believe, the white-hot light of fame wasn’t the problem for Amy, her disease was. This wonderful documentary heartbreakingly chronicles the missed opportunities for appropriate care for a young woman in the throes of severe psychiatric illness. Many addicts typically have adverse childhood experiences and trauma — for Amy, her parents’ divorce, feelings of paternal abandonment and lack of boundaries from her primary caretakers resulted in difficulty in regulated emotions, particularly negative emotions. Again, like so many that seek relief in drugs, meds or a bottle, addiction is the solution that becomes the problem.

There are no shortcuts to recovery. It takes time. The most common issue that I find sabotages a celebrity patient’s recovery is the desire to return to work prematurely. The patient loves his or her work; they make a lot of money for a lot of people so the pressures to return are huge. Musicians, in particular, often hire “sober companions,” too, so as to get back out on tour and keep working; this rarely results in success. In fact, what the patient should do is drop out, get the care he or she needs and focus on recovery for whatever time it takes. Unfortunately, the celebrity is often surrounded by an inner circle that is reluctant to confront the celebrity for fear of being kicked out of the privileged access to this special individual. And yet more treachery comes from celebrities seeking “special” caretakers or treatments. Again, what a celebrity needs is standard care. The standard of care is the standard for a reason: it is the best.

Certainly recovery is difficult in front of the paparazzi, and it doesn’t feel good if shaming headlines are splashed across tabloids. But most impactful is a family and community who does not mandate or at least does not firmly encourage appropriate medical care for a patient with bulimia, a mood disturbance, severe polydrug addiction, generalized seizure disorder, cutting and sex/love addiction one way or another conceived confounding characterological pathology. The fact remains, she could likely have been effectively treated.

I’ve spent much of the last 30 years trying to get people to understand that addiction is a brain disease. It’s not about a lack of self-control or a weak will. Severe addiction is a fatal illness with a bleaker prognosis than most cancers. The disease itself affects our ability to judge situations and to prioritize — at its very darkest, it distorts our freedom as thinking, feeling human beings. Amy offers the clearest, most powerful portrait of the effects of addiction I’ve ever seen on film. I urge you to see Amy and help destigmatize this disease.

Dr. Drew Pinsky, a trusted health and wellness advocate, hosts HLN's Dr. Drew. He is a practicing physician, Board Certified in Internal Medicine and Board Certified in Addiction Medicine. Pinsky is also Assistant Clinical Professor of Psychiatry at the Keck USC School of Medicine.

• King Marty and GoddessAmy like this

#1244 Ava_Grace

Ava_Grace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Posted 21 February 2016 - 09:19 PM

https://mobile.twitt...35788263426?p=v
So Mitch wants to give another view of Amy's last years with new projects (film, music, etc.). The selfish part of me would love to hear new music but why make another film? Mitch, your daughter died at 27, not from an accidental overdose but from a slow painful death. There's nothing great or happy about that. Asif could care less about you Mitch, he has no personal vendetta against you, Amy was a complicated girl and many factors contributed to her death but her lack of self love and destructive behavior were the key factors. He is not blaming you, yes you could have done things differently, but you were just one of many who were incapable of dealing with a person like Amy. I hope one day you'll come to understand that. Asif, my respect to you for making this film, a film as bittersweet as Amy was, and I'm sorry you have to deal with Mitch's complaints.
  • King Marty and HelloSailor like this

#1245 amh91

amh91

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 21 February 2016 - 09:50 PM

That's just so sad. It's just such a pity. A large part of me actually feels extremely sorry for him, not only because he lost Amy, but also because he feels the need to constantly have to "defend" himself, rather than maintaining a respectful, dignified silence.

The cynic in me feels that these tweets and statements are more necessary for him to make now more than ever, because he knows or thinks he's in deep trouble, and he's becoming increasingly aware of that day by day. The Oscars are next week, and there is an extremely large chance that the film is going to win. If it does, there will be no coming back from that. No matter what projects he has in the pipeline, the film's status in cinema history will be undeniable, and the other projects will likely pale in comparison. 

It's just a shame when somebody, especially of his age, either can't bring themselves to admit they made a mistake or, even if they stand by what they did, have some self respect and simply keep their mouth shut. 

• King Marty, HelloSailor, mayday and 3 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cannes, doc, documentary, film, movie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users