Photo
- - - - -

Musicians please, choose your favourite, most difficult Amy Winehouse song to play.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Yousaymyname

Yousaymyname

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:01 PM

I play Piano by trade, but picked up my guitar today to see if Amy could speak to me thru her instrument... I was pleasantly surprised, but still struggle with more difficult arrangements... What do you guys think, do you play an instrument, sing? I would love to know....:afro::heart:

#2 TBR

TBR

I still wonder 'bout the things you do

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:17 PM

I sing, play piano and guitar and find most of the tracks of Frank are generally more difficult to play. Most of the tracks on BTB are pretty conventional in their chord structures and approach whereas Amy was a little more diverse and creative with her writing on Frank. My favourite song to sing is Love Is A Losing Game just because, while it's pretty circular, you can do a lot with it and favourite track to play is probably I Heard Love Is Blind, or maybe even Fuck Me Pumps even though it's pretty circular too. Love Stronger Than Me too for both. So yeah, i'm pretty indecisive haha.

#3 melnyk

melnyk

The Lighthouse Keeper

• Administrators
  • 1,468 posts
  • LocationπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦ Ukraine πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:26 PM

I never play Amy's songs (well, almost never), but I like to make some improvisations based on her songs. For example, there's a quick and really rough draft: https://soundcloud.c...of-anything-aup - it has some chords from Back to Black, but, of course, it's not Back to Black at all... =)

V.Melnyk

#4 BeehiveQueen

BeehiveQueen

Camden Girl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • LocationHollywood, CA

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:42 PM

I have a difficult time with "Addicted". There is a lot of instrumental needed. Truth is the vocals aren't hard but during the break I have to keep myself occupied performing it. If I have a bandmate who is sick or can't make a gig and I'm short a flute player it just doesn't sound right. Valerie is a tough one too. So much going on everything has to be dialed in perfectly before playing it.

#5 Yousaymyname

Yousaymyname

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:16 AM

TRB I found that too, with frank and b2b. I heard love is blind is one of my favourites too. I really enjoyed playing you know I'm no good on the guitar, like the version on the bbc audio cd where it's really stripped back, and I'm finding the slower version of tears dry from lioness easier to play in the song's emotion, plus the slower tempo for chord changes is easier! BeehiveQueen I love that song addicted, would imagine it is hard to play, will have to check out the music!

#6 dykehaze

dykehaze

What the fuck

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:42 PM

Drums, guitar, keys and bass. Currently with a jazz group doing mostly standards. I've worked with some really good female vocalists but can't say that I've heard anyone trying to cover Amy. I know there are some folks out there doing it but I haven't heard anyone that really does justice to her. For lack of a better term, there's a lot of magic in what Amy does. It starts with the first note and never quits. Truly amazing singer / musician.

#7 Yousaymyname

Yousaymyname

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:08 AM

[MENTION=3171]v_melnik[/MENTION] I like your improv, it's got some beautiful harmonies in it, very sad, I am a better piano player than guitar, you are quite good! @dykehaze god, she was brilliant, I'm not a singer myself, but I could never imagine anyone doing it like Amy did :)

#8 pearljo

pearljo

β™ͺβ™«β™« vaginal bleeding

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:56 PM

Drummer, trumpet

#9 LiamSullivan

LiamSullivan

I love Amy Winehouse.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 951 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:07 AM

I play guitar, and for me personally, I've had problems with Tears Dry On Their Own in the past.

R.I.P Amy Jade Winehouse. Once in a lifetime voice.
2r4h89d.gif

#10 ToKnowHerIsToLoveHer

ToKnowHerIsToLoveHer

I'm not arrogant, just honest.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:47 AM

I played saxophone, and now I'm learning by myself (since a few days) to play guitar, and I like singing too.

Btw does anyone know a song by Amy that I can play with the chords G-major, e-minor, C-major, a-minor and D-major?

#11 melnyk

melnyk

The Lighthouse Keeper

• Administrators
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:06 AM

Greetings from Ukraine, Maike! I'm learning to play by myself too (since the ending of the previous year) and I'd advice you to become familiar with the barre: it will widen your range of chords (and tunes you can play) very much! The sooner you start to use it - the better for ya. :-)

Good luck!

Edited by v_melnik, 04 August 2013 - 11:11 AM.

V.Melnyk

#12 ToKnowHerIsToLoveHer

ToKnowHerIsToLoveHer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:03 PM

Thanks for your advices, will try it :)

#13 melnyk

melnyk

The Lighthouse Keeper

• Administrators
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:20 PM

I'm sure you'd try that even without those Captain Obvious' advices :-)

V.Melnyk

#14 ToKnowHerIsToLoveHer

ToKnowHerIsToLoveHer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:48 PM

Haha, yes there is a truth in it :D

#15 LiamSullivan

LiamSullivan

I love Amy Winehouse.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 951 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:44 PM

Definitely agree with [MENTION=3171]v_melnik[/MENTION]
Get used to barre chords and from that point on, guitar playing seems a lot easier. (In my opinion, at least.) Learn some scales, too.

R.I.P Amy Jade Winehouse. Once in a lifetime voice.
2r4h89d.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users