Photo
- - - - -

If this ain't lunch, why does it feel so good? (The Observer 2007)

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Uno

Uno

It's bricked up in my head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:29 PM

This article has interviews from a few people, I'm only pasting Amy's part of the interviews, the rest are in the two links down below ...

If this ain't lunch, why does it feel so good?

The Observer, Saturday 27 January 2007

Beth Ditto, Amy Winehouse, Mcfly, James Morrison, Tasmin Little, and ex-Spice Girl Emma Bunton tell us what they really really want to eat

Amy Winehouse on drink, weed and soup

I stopped smoking weed about two years ago when I started going to the gym. Because I guess I've written 'Addicted' and it's come out on this album [Back to Black], it would seem like I still smoke and have days where I think, 'Oh, should I buy a quarter?' But it's not even a factor any more. I wrote that song about three years ago.

But my drinking replaced weed. I still have a problem - well, I have had problems with drink but I haven't had a drink in a few days. Is the problem exaggerated in the papers? I don't know ... No. I'm a terrible drunk. I dunno where that comes from - boredom?

'Rehab' came out of the fact that I always have been able to deal with things myself. If you can't look after yourself then no one can. That's what I think. The only place I've ever been to talk about the substance problems I have - whether with alcohol or food - I've never actually spoken to anyone, I've never been consulted. They talk at me, I go, 'Thank you for your time,' then I leave. I just went to please people around me. I went to walk in and walk out. Revolving door syndrome.

But no, God, I didn't drop four dress sizes to size 0. Size 0 is an Americanism, it's not even a real English term. It'd be like a UK size 4, which I've never been. At my smallest I was an American size 2, which is six in the UK. But I was never even a 12, so I dropped two dress sizes. It's a joke. It just makes me laugh when people say things like, 'you were a spokeswoman for curvy girls, and you were a really good role model - and now look at you, you're a state ...'

I'm like, 'What, I used to smoke weed from fucking eight o'clock in the morning till three o'clock in the morning. And when I stopped and started going to the gym I lost a bit of weight and looked better - but I'm a terrible role model?' It's a joke.

Anyway, I think if you're a girl, the best role models are women you know, strong women around you - your best friend, your mum, your nan, your aunties. However someone is portrayed in the media, you don't know them personally. If you latch onto someone, a famous person, to the point where they'll fuck you up and you don't even know them, you're a knob anyway. I eat ridiculously healthily. Just now I'm drinking a carrot, beetroot, celery and ginger throat juice - it's gross. I'm gonna have red poo. But I've got to, I'm not well, I came back from Miami after New Year with a bug.

My boyfriend Alex is a chef, and he can cook anything. But he doesn't cook for me, I cook for him. I do great chicken soup, or meatballs. But West Indian food is probably my best thing. I learnt from my mum, but she stopped cooking when I was quite young, so then I learnt from my grandma. I'm very enthusiastic about it. And Alex is really good because I have someone who I can really make something for and you know they'll appreciate it and they'll give you really good criticism. As I'm cooking things I'll be like, 'When should I put the thing in, baby?' 'Now!'

I love being on tour, and I do tend to look after my voice. One of my crew makes me really nice ginger tea. And Alex always tells me to avoid dairy - I was gonna get a smoothie with yoghurt in it but he told me not to 'cause of my voice.

When I was smoking a lot of weed I didn't have a munchie diet so much as I just ate bad. I'd get up, smoke two big spliffs then be like, 'hmmm, I should eat something ...' So I'd go and have a fry-up. Then I wouldn't eat anything all day. Then I'd eat pasta at two in the morning. Just ridiculous.

I don't know why I was so into spliff. It's a teenager's thing, innit? I can't smoke now 'cause my energy just crashes. I'm a gym girl. I'm not a lazy person any more, I like getting up and going. I'd rather walk somewhere or run somewhere. I'd train every day if I had the chance. On tour I'll try and find a gym locally.
Interview by Craig McLean

Part 1 (With Amy)
http://www.theguardi...ck.foodanddrink

Part 2
http://www.theguardi...rink.popandrock
  • JadedHearts likes this
Amy, if you are up there listening, thank you for sharing the incredible soundtracks of your life ...

#2 Elsie

Elsie

eek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:01 PM

I'm like, 'What, I used to smoke weed from fucking eight o'clock in the morning till three o'clock in the morning. And when I stopped and started going to the gym I lost a bit of weight and looked better - but I'm a terrible role model?' It's a joke.

She has a point there, if that were true, but I'm not really buying most of the things she said here lol.

He still stands in spite of what his Mars bar says.

#3 pearljo

pearljo

β™ͺβ™«β™« vaginal bleeding

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:09 PM

Two spliffs when she wakes up? I wish that she stayed with weed. All things being equal, she would be alive now--and stoned as shit.

#4 HelloSailor

HelloSailor

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:51 PM

It doesn't really sound like Amy. Was this a face to face interview with her, or were they asked to write what they wanted, answering certain questions? I can't explain it, but something's off.

#5 TBR

TBR

I still wonder 'bout the things you do

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:07 PM

I dunno, it sounds pretty true to Amy, especially with her turns of phrase.

I liked "If you latch onto someone, a famous person, to the point where they'll fuck you up and you don't even know them, you're a knob anyway." haha

#6 melnyk

melnyk

The Lighthouse Keeper

• Administrators
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦ Ukraine πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:14 PM

Yes, she would feel much better if she kept smoking.

By the way, why the Foundation claims they are fighting against so called drugs, bot nobody remember what vodka have done to Amy?

V.Melnyk

#7 BeehiveQueen

BeehiveQueen

Camden Girl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • LocationHollywood, CA

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:03 AM

The Amy Winehouse Foundation mission cut and pasted from the website.

The Foundation’s work focuses on three core areas
1. To inform and educate young people about the effects of drug and alcohol misuse, as well as to support those seeking help for their problems and those needing on-going support in their recovery
2. To provide support for those most vulnerable, including those who are disadvantaged through circumstance or at high risk of substance misuse.
3. To support the personal development of disadvantaged young people through music

#8 melnyk

melnyk

The Lighthouse Keeper

• Administrators
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:06 AM

It sounds good. :-)

V.Melnyk

#9 suestev07

suestev07

injured butterfly is so talented, it hurts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:05 PM

I agree that it doesn't sound like Amy. Part of the way through reading, it began to sound too manufactured for me...even tho', or especially maybe, because all the buzzwords are there.
\"it was as if all the emotions in the universe suddenly were coming out of her mouth.\" --Entertainment Weekly music critic Chris Willman.

"It's open-heart surgery set to music" - Sunday Herald article by Peter Ross Jan 7/07

"Be kinder than necessary...because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle." - Anon.

#10 melnyk

melnyk

The Lighthouse Keeper

• Administrators
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 01:40 PM

Yeah, that's not her language :-)

#11 Eva

Eva

Banned Bitch!

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 05:15 PM

lmao um how doesn't it sound like her? no harm intended vlad but your english is not fluent so i don't think you're one to distinguish whether or not it's so. would you guys like them to write phonetically or what? in a cockney fashion?

this interview sounds like it was during the frank era to be honest as her answers did sometimes shorten as time went by in the b2b era. look at her interview at the brit awards in 2008 though. seems similar to the one posted in this thread to me. she started to pace up again and her responses started to become more lengthy as she started dating reg, etc. in the few little interviews that she gave during that time.

"sometimes I go about in pity for myself,
and all the while a great wind is bearing me across the sky...
"

I wanna keep you here laying next to me
ღ sharin our love between the sheets

θ΅·ζ­»ε›žη”Ÿ

#12 Nineandfourteen

Nineandfourteen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 05:52 PM

Who even has time to make up a fake interview script of her anyways lol

#13 HelloSailor

HelloSailor

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:00 AM

When I said it didn't really sound like her, I meant it sounds too structured. To me, it sounds like Amy writing an essay, measuring her words, not Amy answering spontaneously to a live interview.
I kinda got the impression that either a) she was emailed a bunch of questions and was asked to answer them, in writing, or B) her answers were reworked so they would read well, it doesnt't sound like direct soundbites.

For example:

Is the problem exaggerated in the papers? I don't know.

The way she repeats the question as if it was rhetorical, to giver her answers context...I don't know. The style is a little stifled.

Some interviews come off better than others, this one sounds odd to me, that's all...my issue isn't with Amy, but with the journalism...

- - - Updated - - -

Who even has time to make up a fake interview script of her anyways lol

Well that's a little naive if you think journalists never make up interviews. I'm not saying that's the case here, but journalism isn't always the truth you know.

#14 Eva

Eva

Banned Bitch!

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:14 AM

of course the media misconstrues things to their advantage but as u said that isn't the case here, there's nothing to really manipulate. nothing in this interview displays a hot story, it's a pretty innocent script and i don't think they have anything to gain by adding false info to this one in particular. now if it were a heart to heart interview about drugs & alcohol then perhaps

"sometimes I go about in pity for myself,
and all the while a great wind is bearing me across the sky...
"

I wanna keep you here laying next to me
ღ sharin our love between the sheets

θ΅·ζ­»ε›žη”Ÿ

#15 Nineandfourteen

Nineandfourteen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:22 AM

Well that's a little naive if you think journalists never make up interviews. I'm not saying that's the case here, but journalism isn't always the truth you know.

Huh? I never went against the fact that not everything is the truth... Just laughing at people who would have the time to write lies. You sound angry lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users