4 replies to this topic

#1 Uno

Uno

It's bricked up in my head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:56 AM

I've been trying to figure out when and where Amy performed this one forever, it seemed to have just showed up on YouTube one day outta nowhere and then ended up on a German Christmas album ...

In this YouTube version of 'I Saw Mummy Kissing Santa Claus', Jamelia introduces Amy before she sings the song ...

It was recorded on Dec 15, 2004 at Union Chapel in Islington, to be aired on the BBC Radio 2 Christmas Day special called 'The Gospel according to Christmas'

I accidentally ended up at this blog post while looking for something else and noticed that Amy was in this Christmas special and that Jamelia hosted the show.

http://www.angrybeat...ves/000168.html

The only thing that I could find on BBC was this little Press Release

The Gospel according to Christmas
Jamelia hosts a specially recorded Christmas Day concert featuring the London Community Gospel Choir and some special guests singing Christmas carols and festive favourites. (The Gospel According To Christmas, 7.30-9.00pm).

http://www.bbc.co.uk...21/radio2.shtml

Edited to say ...

I just looked this up in Archive.org and they said that the singers also sang with the Gospel Choir, Amy with a full choir behind her, now that would be something to hear

Edited by Uno, 30 October 2013 - 10:14 AM.

• dionthéoda_, Love is a losing game and weloveyouamy like this
Amy, if you are up there listening, thank you for sharing the incredible soundtracks of your life ...

#2 Tiny Penny

Tiny Penny

Play all my records, keep dancing all night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 04:34 PM

Hahaha! Amy, OBVIOUSLY!

[h=1]'I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus': Who sings it better, Brenda Lee or Amy Winehouse?[/h]Some folks think this song sends an odd message to kids. Seriously, what's mommy doing kissing that strange man? We say just go with it. Brenda Lee's sweet version is blessed with all the twang and reed-thin that marks much of her work, and yet there's a curious Hawaiian lilt at play here.
This version goes up against Amy Winehouse's bluesy, raspy version that brings to bear all of her Aretha Franklin influence with her own unique swagger.
Which one seems more appropriate for the song's subject matter?
This is the 13th song in our countdown to Christmas 2013 in which we selected 25 pairs of popular holiday tunes. We've gathered old-fashioned or more traditional renditions and pitted them against newfangled or more modern ones. Give a listen. See which one you like best.
Is there another version that is better than either of these? Tell us about it and/or share a comment or link to a track or video in the comments below.
Come back tomorrow for another edition of "Who sings it better?"
http://www.nola.com/...santa_clau.html
  • Love is a losing game likes this
I love you in a place where there's no space or time...Forever you will be a true friend of mine:)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#3 TBR

TBR

I still wonder 'bout the things you do

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:39 PM

Hey [MENTION=2280]Uno[/MENTION], do you know if the CD quality audio of this is out there anywhere? :)

#4 Uno

Uno

It's bricked up in my head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:59 PM

Hey @Uno, do you know if the CD quality audio of this is out there anywhere? :)

It was included on this CD, Best of Christmas [Import], that was put out in 2008. Where they originally got the song, or if they remastered it, I haven't a clue ...

Posted Image

http://www.amazon.co...11442504&sr=1-3
  • Love is a losing game likes this
Amy, if you are up there listening, thank you for sharing the incredible soundtracks of your life ...

#5 Yousaymyname

Yousaymyname

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:48 AM

I loooooove this song. Best Christmas song ever, I'd never listened to it before, thinking it would be poor quality taken from a concert. Amy's wishing us a naughty Christmas, the best kind. :) love it love it love it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users