Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Amy singing 'Sentimental Journey' on BBC Radio4 Today (June 5) !!!

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 Jayne

Jayne

Never miss a night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,943 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:57 PM

Mitch tweeted:

we have been trying for years to release this song and 4 others. They belong to NYJO and they won't release. 

• melnyk likes this
Jayne, proud to be a member of Amy Winehouse Forum since Jul 2007.

#17 Uno

Uno

It's bricked up in my head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 12:05 AM

From listening to the show host, Ned Sherrin's intro, it sounds like she was actually singing this again, while she was there in June 2004.

Here's the full audio of Amy's part in the show. This includes Ned Sherrin's intro of Amy and with Sam Beste on the piano. In the intro, Ned also talks about Amy winning the Ivor Novell just a week earlier in May 2004.

The clip with the intro and song is on Sendspace
http://www.sendspace.com/file/looc1z

• HelloSailor likes this
Amy, if you are up there listening, thank you for sharing the incredible soundtracks of your life ...

#18 HelloSailor

HelloSailor

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:55 AM

From listening to the show host, Ned Sherrin's intro, it sounds like she was actually singing this again, while she was there in June 2004.

Didn't Mitch say that there were 4 songs from NYJO that were really good, but that the sound quality wasn't good enough to release?

I always thought it was because of the recording quality that NYJO didn't want to release them. That's why I though it was weird that this Sentimental Journey sounds good enough to be on the radio, so I concluded that she must have sung it/recorded it at the radio station in 2004. That makes sense.  

#19 Uno

Uno

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:54 AM

Didn't Mitch say that there were 4 songs from NYJO that were really good, but that the sound quality wasn't good enough to release?

I always thought it was because of the recording quality that NYJO didn't want to release them. That's why I though it was weird that this Sentimental Journey sounds good enough to be on the radio, so I concluded that she must have sung it/recorded it at the radio station in 2004. That makes sense.  

Back in 2011 the Times wrote a story talking about Bill Ashton of the NYJO finding the discs with the songs after Amy passed away. He said that when he listened to the recordings for the first time in 11 years he realized that the quality was very good and he thought they could be good enough to release. He also said that he hoped to release the songs for the benefit of the orchestra, but he first wanted to make certain that there will be no problems with rights or objections from the singer’s family. I also remember reading sometime after this story was published that the NYJO was hurting and in the need of cash, so I'm a little bit baffled as to why (as Mitch said in his tweet) they wouldn't release the songs; especially if it would be beneficial and help the Jazz Orchestra. I'd post a link to the original Times article but they want you to pay for it now, but here's a link to a cashed copy of it that was posted here on the forum when it was published ...

http://webcache.goog...n&ct=clnk&gl=us

• HelloSailor likes this
Amy, if you are up there listening, thank you for sharing the incredible soundtracks of your life ...

#20 HelloSailor

HelloSailor

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 01:20 PM

thanks Uno, your encyclopedic knowledge always astounds me. You either have an exceptional memory (which clearly I don't) or are very organized in archiving all info relating to Amy!  :D

Yes it is odd that they won't release those songs. Should we start a campaign or something? And if anyone in charge is reading this, please please please release this full song too : 

THANKS xx

• melnyk likes this

#21 TBR

TBR

I still wonder 'bout the things you do

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:09 PM

This sounds like it was recorded in a studio, and Sam Best was her pianist in her band from 04 to 11 so I'd guess this was rerecorded especially for the BBC in 2004 and the NYJO recording is probably a full orchestra version that we may never hear.

#22 Bogart

Bogart

María

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationArgentina

Posted 05 July 2014 - 11:45 PM

thanks Uno, your encyclopedic knowledge always astounds me. You either have an exceptional memory (which clearly I don't) or are very organized in archiving all info relating to Amy!  :D

Yes it is odd that they won't release those songs. Should we start a campaign or something? And if anyone in charge is reading this, please please please release this full song too : 

THANKS xx

sorry to tell you that song is not from that gig with the NYJO orchestra. that one is called Aint Nobody's Business If I Do. She did a cover of it for the Billie And Me tribute concert that took place at the Barbican Theatre (April 2004) .

• melnyk likes this

AMY WINEHOUSE DEVOTEE

#23 dykehaze

dykehaze

What the fuck

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 03:28 AM

Back in 2011 the Times wrote a story talking about Bill Ashton of the NYJO finding the discs with the songs after Amy passed away. He said that when he listened to the recordings for the first time in 11 years he realized that the quality was very good and he thought they could be good enough to release. He also said that he hoped to release the songs for the benefit of the orchestra, but he first wanted to make certain that there will be no problems with rights or objections from the singer’s family. I also remember reading sometime after this story was published that the NYJO was hurting and in the need of cash, so I'm a little bit baffled as to why (as Mitch said in his tweet) they wouldn't release the songs; especially if it would be beneficial and help the Jazz Orchestra. I'd post a link to the original Times article but they want you to pay for it now, but here's a link to a cashed copy of it that was posted here on the forum when it was published ...

http://webcache.goog...n&ct=clnk&gl=us

It's hard to believe anything Mitch has to say. What comes out of his mouth is dictated by how much goes in his pocket.

#24 ancre

ancre

Just friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:02 AM

I really like this song. The way Amy sings "sentimental journey home..." (1:28) - great.

It's on youtube as well but you were the first one to share. Thank you!

"I trust my instincts, and that’s what has got me where I am, y’know?" (Amy)

#25 HelloSailor

HelloSailor

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:51 PM

sorry to tell you that song is not from that gig with the NYJO orchestra. that one is called Aint Nobody's Business If I Do. She did a cover of it for the Billie And Me tribute concert that took place at the Barbican Theatre (April 2004) .

I never said it was! I was saying that I would also like that  song to be released in full !

#26 Amy Legend

Amy Legend

Wake Up Alone

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 03:48 PM

Hi, Uno! Can you upload a new link with the full 50 minute broadcast, please? I cannot find it anywhere. Thank you!

Love Amy 4 Ever ❤️❤️❤️

#27 Uno

Uno

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 12:44 AM

Hi, Uno! Can you upload a new link with the full 50 minute broadcast, please? I cannot find it anywhere. Thank you!

Sorry, I didn't capture the full broadcast, I only recorded the the intro and the song. Amy wasn't on the rest of the broadcast.

#28 Amy Legend

Amy Legend

Wake Up Alone

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 09:55 AM

No worries, that's okay.

Love Amy 4 Ever ❤️❤️❤️

#29 Amy Legend

Amy Legend

Wake Up Alone

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 12:08 PM

Can you upload Amy's part along with the introduction, please? Thanks again!

Love Amy 4 Ever ❤️❤️❤️

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users