Photo
- - - - -

Frank to Back to Black Transition Period (was: Amy Pics from 2005 to early 2006)

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#16 WhoDat

WhoDat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:46 AM

Lol ok, "a lot of the weight she had on her" just sounded kinda bad from a female perspective

Oh no, I didn't mean it in a bad way. I'm a girl myself, so I get the sensitivity about weight/appearance. I think saying someone has "weight on them" is a sort of colloquialism where I grew up. My parents would say it a lot - "oh, you've dropped weight off yourself"/"you have a bit of weight on you now", etc. Not necessarily meant in a bad way, just a sort of turn of phrase, I guess. What I'm getting at basically is that in some of the photos from 2005 she looks like she was starting to get a lot thinner. 

With regards to the eating disorder, I remember reading something somewhere a good while back where she talked about having body image issues and how she was never 100% happy with her appearance and she didn't think any girl really is. 

This one is dated as being 2005. She has a lot of her tattoos done by the looks of things, but no beehive yet. Looks like it could be a little bit later than 2005 to me, maybe early 2006?

Amy%20Winehouse%202%20@HarryBenson%20lg.

She must have gotten a lot of tattoos done in fairly quick succession. She doesn't look like she had very many in early 2005, but then her arms are all done by 2006. 

This one is from the NME. I think it's from her interview with them just when Back to Black was being released. Looks like she's experimenting with the hairstyle. Not quite the full beehive yet, just a lot of backcombing, it looks like:

AmyWinehouse08DV250711.jpg

• amylove and melnyk like this
"They laughed when I said I was going to become a comedian. Well, they're not laughing now." - Bob Monkhouse

#17 StuckInBlack23

StuckInBlack23

Always Crashing in the Same Car

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationUSA; Kentucky

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:25 AM

Oh no, I didn't mean it in a bad way. I'm a girl myself, so I get the sensitivity about weight/appearance. I think saying someone has "weight on them" is a sort of colloquialism where I grew up. My parents would say it a lot - "oh, you've dropped weight off yourself"/"you have a bit of weight on you now", etc. Not necessarily meant in a bad way, just a sort of turn of phrase, I guess. What I'm getting at basically is that in some of the photos from 2005 she looks like she was starting to get a lot thinner. 

With regards to the eating disorder, I remember reading something somewhere a good while back where she talked about having body image issues and how she was never 100% happy with her appearance and she didn't think any girl really is. 

This one is dated as being 2005. She has a lot of her tattoos done by the looks of things, but no beehive yet. Looks like it could be a little bit later than 2005 to me, maybe early 2006?

Amy%20Winehouse%202%20@HarryBenson%20lg.

She must have gotten a lot of tattoos done in fairly quick succession. She doesn't look like she had very many in early 2005, but then her arms are all done by 2006. 

This one is from the NME. I think it's from her interview with them just when Back to Black was being released. Looks like she's experimenting with the hairstyle. Not quite the full beehive yet, just a lot of backcombing, it looks like:

AmyWinehouse08DV250711.jpg

Yeah, I'm sure the first pic is from 2006.  Is the beehive mostly her hair or all extensions?  Anyway love the pics!!!!

• melnyk likes this

tumblr_mx5bvdcRud1rr880fo1_1280_zpsa7a58   Stuck in Black with no way out...

#18 Cecilia

Cecilia

What kind of fuckery is this?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:35 AM

July 2005

Amy-Winehouse21.jpg

Amy%2BWinehouse.jpg

2nd%20annual%20Cornbury%20Park%20music%2

581129450_ca37dbcf91_z.jpg?zz=1

September 2005

Amy-Winehouse11.jpg

• amylove likes this

smoke.jpg?t=1397395921

#19 WhoDat

WhoDat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:23 PM

I always thought her beehive was a hair piece and her actual hair was cut short underneath. I can't imagine it would be easy to make a big beehive like hers naturally with real hair. I would have thought it would have to be done with a hair piece.
"They laughed when I said I was going to become a comedian. Well, they're not laughing now." - Bob Monkhouse

#20 amylove

amylove

<3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,480 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:41 PM

"Winehouse's hairstyle, Martello confides, is made up almost entirely of extensions, though she's been known to add extra wadding a polystyrene-like padding for dramatic effect." http://www.amywineho...on-the-beehive/

It's real hair, just somebody else's lol ;)

• ancre, melnyk and JadedHearts like this

#21 TBR

TBR

I still wonder 'bout the things you do

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:15 PM

She still had long hair underneath the extensions until she had that awful bleach job very late 2007 I think. There's a pic of her in 2007 with her natural hair, I'll try and dig it out.

EDIT: Found em, they look like extensions actually so hard to tell how long it naturally was! It deffo wasn't as short as was later on.

1AmyWineCryFAM_468x727.jpg

2AmyWineCryFAM_468x519.jpg

• melnyk likes this

#22 amylove

amylove

<3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,480 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:32 PM

^Yeah, wasn't her fringe part of her natural hair tho?

aug 2006

2_zpsd4219f15.jpg

• LaPeep likes this

#23 WhoDat

WhoDat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:15 PM

"Winehouse's hairstyle, Martello confides, is made up almost entirely of extensions, though she's been known to add extra wadding a polystyrene-like padding for dramatic effect." http://www.amywineho...on-the-beehive/

It's real hair, just somebody else's lol ;)

That's what I meant, that it isn't her own real hair. I don't think it would be possible to tease the hair on someone's head into a beehive that big, you'd need some extra help.

In the pictures above, I don't think that's her real hair either. It looks like extensions.

#24 amylove

amylove

<3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,480 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:49 PM

Yeah they're extensions...not sure how early she started using them. Her hair was gorgeous here at the ivor novello awards in 2004 and I'm assuming it's hers but I dunno. (sorry I'm off-topic)

#25 WhoDat

WhoDat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:37 PM

In some of the pictures from 2005 when her hair is straight, it looks natural to me. However, the later ones where her hair is curly it also looks quite natural, but her hair is a lot thicker in the photos where it's curly, which makes me think she might have been wearing extensions by then. But then, some pictures of her later on from St. Lucia where she's not wearing any beehive and no extensions and her hair is cut short, it seems that it is actually naturally curly hair. Like here:

amy-winehouse.jpg

So maybe when she grew it out, it actually got very long, thick and curly like in the photos from the Back to Black booklet or the Rehab video. Maybe some of the early 2005 photos she had it cut and thinned out and was straightening it. 

This is from 2005. Looks like the eye make-up may have been coming into effect:

aw__360x270.jpg

I think though that she probably underwent a pretty dramatic change in 2006 around the release of Back to Black and that's when she got the beehive, the tattoos, tiny dresses, etc. She still has long hair in the Rehab video and on the Back to Black cover, but has the tattoos by then and looked skinnier so I think she probably started to change maybe while recording Back to Black? And then after Rehab was released, made the final adjustment with the hair. 

Apparently this is August 2006:

amy_winehouse_2006_08_15.jpg

This is just a month later at the Q awards. The beginnings of the beehive, so I'd say there was experimentation with the hairstyle happening by the end of the summer of 2006:

785023_EKTDO1FS3VUOVD7JVYQ36LP1XOGZNY_am

This is a video of her singing Me & Mr. Jones in September 2006 and she looks like she has a lot of backcombing going, but no beehive:

• amylove likes this

#26 Uno

Uno

It's bricked up in my head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:07 AM

She was using hair extensions as far back as 2004, here's an interview from Aug 18 of that year where they are mentioned ...

http://www.standard....ow-7381980.html

Here's what her hair looked like before and after that interview ...

Two days before ...
AmyWinehouse-NRG035.jpg

Two days after ...
jgpeh2.jpg

• amylove likes this
Amy, if you are up there listening, thank you for sharing the incredible soundtracks of your life ...

#27 amylove

amylove

<3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,480 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:26 AM

In some of the pictures from 2005 when her hair is straight, it looks natural to me. However, the later ones where her hair is curly it also looks quite natural, but her hair is a lot thicker in the photos where it's curly, which makes me think she might have been wearing extensions by then. But then, some pictures of her later on from St. Lucia where she's not wearing any beehive and no extensions and her hair is cut short, it seems that it is actually naturally curly hair.

Yeah her curly hair was always much fuller... the rehab video hair has to be extensions too. I think her short hair was said to be a perm?

She was also experimenting with the beehive during the Frank days...those pics are somewhere.

• WhoDat likes this

#28 HelloSailor

HelloSailor

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:52 AM

I always thought her beehive was a hair piece and her actual hair was cut short underneath. 

Her hair was short under her hair piece from 2008, right? (when she had short curly hair). I always thought it looked funny when you could see her short curls under the straighter longer haired wig.

#29 HelloSailor

HelloSailor

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:10 AM

She was using hair extensions as far back as 2004, here's an interview from Aug 18 of that year where they are mentioned ...

http://www.standard....ow-7381980.html

Interesting interview, I don't think I had ever read that! She mentions "Just friends" or the beginning of its conception  :

"one song is called Maybe in the Morning. "It's about this guy I've been seeing on and off. It's me saying, 'Is it more dangerous to see you in the evening when we're both drunk or in the morning when your dick actually works?' "

That's interesting, was she already seeing Blake in august 2004 or was it in 2005? 

#30 WhoDat

WhoDat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:03 PM

Her hair was short under her hair piece from 2008, right? (when she had short curly hair). I always thought it looked funny when you could see her short curls under the straighter longer haired wig.

I think it was cut short at underneath the beehive, a bit like how women who wear weaves cut their hair really short underneath too. That's what I imagine anyway. Completely open to contradiction on that. 

On the Just Friends thing, wasn't she seeing Blake while he was still with someone else? She might have been with him on the side in 2004, which is when she wrote Just Friends, and then they were properly together in 2005 before breaking up and him going back to his previous girlfriend, which would be when she wrote the rest of the album (except maybe Me & Mr. Jones?). 

• JadedHearts likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users