Bogart

María

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationArgentina

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:44 PM

What's in your basket?

Apart from bacon sarnies washed down with Ribena, the singer's diet pretty much gets the green light from Dr John Briffa.

By John Briffa

The Observer, Sunday 14 March, 2004.

"I don't have any food in my fridge. I'm working all the time promoting my album, Frank , so I don't have much chance to get food in. But you know what? I did go out yesterday to get unsmoked bacon and free-range eggs for breakfast because I would have got shouted at if I hadn't. My boyfriend Tyler got me into bacon and egg sandwiches for breakfast; either of us will make them depending on who gets out of bed first. I'll probably have Jack Daniel's and Coke next. The quantity I drink depends on how much I've got in the house left over from the night before. Tyler has just brought me a massive bottle from Monaco, so I'm all right at the moment.

That will take me through to lunch. I'll be out of the house by then, doing interviews, promo, TV stuff, so I'll eat lunch away somewhere. It's usually some kind of tuna salad thing. I don't cook at home that much; I eat out at a Spanish restaurant near my house in Camden called Jamón Jamón about four times a week. I just love it there.I probably keep them in trade. One thing I have is meatballs, because they taste like the ones my nan makes. Another thing she makes that I love is custard and one of my top Jewish snacks of all time is a matzo sandwich with Edam because it's what my daddy used to have. That's a midnight munch snack. I also live off Ribena. It's really good for a hangover or when you are ill.

When I'm at home alone for dinner I'll put on roast chicken and have it with vegetables and, if I'm with Tyler or someone, I'll cook potatoes with it. I don't eat much stodge. I've never done the Atkins diet but, before it became really popular, I knew that bread, rice, pasta and potato made you fat. I cut them out for about eight months but that was about five years ago. I eat for England now. I eat and eat and eat. I love food, I think eating is fun. Luckily my voice doesn't get affected by food - unless I've got my mouth full. But I think I'd probably be an even better singer if I was really fat.'

Ribena

The high sugar content of this drink, and the fact that it contains sodium benzoate and sodium metabisulphite, means that Amy should dilute it with as much water as is palatable. Better still, in my opinion, would be for her not to have it at all.

Tuna salad

Individuals who eat a salad at lunch generally have more productive afternoons than those who opt for a sarnie. The sugar surge induced by bread has the capacity to cause blood-sugar levels, and energy, crashing down at about 4pm.

Roast chicken

As a fan of primal fare, I reckon roast chicken (accompanied by vegetables) constitutes an eminently healthy meal.

Jack Daniel's

While there is a notion that 'hard liquors' are somehow worse than other forms of alcohol, I'm not so sure. For a given amount of alcohol, spirits generally provide less of a carbo-hydrate load to the body, and may therefore be less likely to contribute to problems such as obesity and diabetes. However, when it comes to the ideal accompaniment to Jack Daniel's, Coke is not it. I recommend soda or water.

Free-range eggs

Despite the stories, studies show that eggs tend not to boost cholesterol in the blood, and have little or no effect on heart-disease risk for most people. Eggs are a rich source of protein, monounsaturated fat and key nutrients including selenium, folate and vitamins A, D and B12.

Unsmoked bacon

Pigs are generally intensively reared animals that, during their transformation into bacon, will be imbued with plenty of salt (some bacon is twice as salty as sea water) and the preservative sodium nitrite (which has links with cancer).

Custard

Refined sugar has a number of unwanted effects on the body, one of which is to react with tissue proteins causing a reduction in the skin's elasticity and tone. Too many sugary foods, such as custard, can have an ageing effect on the skin.

Matzos

Amy is right to be wary of the hazards of eating refined, grain-based carbo-hydrates such as this: not only do they offer little in the way of nutrients, they also tend to stimulate the over-secretion of insulin. Foods of this ilk do not make good staples, but are unlikely to cause too many problems if had as occasional snacks.

Edam cheese

In my experience, dairy products such as milk and cheese can induce the formation of mucus and catarrh in a surprising number of individuals. Giving them a miss may help Amy to hit the right note.

Meatballs

Home-made from good ingredients, meatballs are a relatively natural and unprocessed food. Plus, the tomato sauce that accompanies them will provide the body with health-giving elements such as garlic, olive oil and the nutrient lycopene. All in all, I reckon meatballs are a roundly healthy dish.

http://www.theguardi...rink.features14

PS: Couldn't find this article/interview here so I'm sorry /in advanced) if it was posted before.

• Cecilia, Uno, ancre and 2 others like this

AMY WINEHOUSE DEVOTEE

#2 ancre

ancre

Just friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:49 AM

I eat for England now. I eat and eat and eat. I love food, I think eating is fun. Luckily my voice doesn't get affected by food - unless I've got my mouth full. But I think I'd probably be an even better singer if I was really fat.

Thanks for sharing this article. I like sneaking into other people’s plates :)

"I trust my instincts, and that’s what has got me where I am, y’know?" (Amy)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users