5 replies to this topic

#1 MarthaVasil

MarthaVasil

Noob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 10:39 PM

Shortly before I knew all the songs were written by her both of lyrics and music.But today I heard the ''i need love'' and i think the music is the same with the Valerie Mark Ronson's version.You know any  of amy's songs that the music wasn't  originally wrote by her? 

• melnyk likes this
~everything is fine....round midnight...~

#2 SteveV

SteveV

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 07:18 PM

Shortly before I knew all the songs were written by her both of lyrics and music.But today I heard the ''i need love'' and i think the music is the same with the Valerie Mark Ronson's version.You know any  of amy's songs that the music wasn't  originally wrote by her? 

In "Tears Dry On Their Own", Amy sampled Ashford and Simpson's "Ain't No Mountain High Enough". The instrumental back up follows the same chord progression.  "Me and Mr Jones's" melody  strongly  resembles the melody of "Me and Mrs Jones" sung by Billy Paul.  I never heard of an Amy song "I Need Love". "Valerie" was originally recorded by the Zutons and Amy covered it. "Valerie" became one of Amy's most popular songs and I believe her single outsold "Rehab" in the UK. It seems many people assumed she wrote it.

• melnyk, MarthaVasil and Love is a losing game like this
"It's not me personally, is it?......I'm just a musician."

http://www.starpulse... - SXSW - video[

#3 amylove

amylove

<3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,480 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 03:38 AM

Are you asking for the songs she covered or the songs she sampled?

#4 MarthaVasil

MarthaVasil

Noob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 04:30 PM

In "Tears Dry On Their Own", Amy sampled Ashford and Simpson's "Ain't No Mountain High Enough". The instrumental back up follows the same chord progression.  "Me and Mr Jones's" melody  strongly  resembles the melody of "Me and Mrs Jones" sung by Billy Paul.  I never heard of an Amy song "I Need Love". "Valerie" was originally recorded by the Zutons and Amy covered it. "Valerie" became one of Amy's most popular songs and I believe her single outsold "Rehab" in the UK. It seems many people assumed she wrote it.

yes sorry it's not 'i need love' it's 

the Supremes - You Can't Hurry Love

I mean the intro it sounds to me like the intro valerie the mark ronson edition

#5 MarthaVasil

MarthaVasil

Noob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 04:39 PM

Are you asking for the songs she covered or the songs she sampled?

I'm asking about the music of her songs that was only on her albums.She wrote music for some of her songs.They're all written by her?Any influences?   

#6 SteveV

SteveV

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 02:17 AM

I'm asking about the music of her songs that was only on her albums.She wrote music for some of her songs.They're all written by her?Any influences?   

Below are links to the Wikipedia articles on the Frank and Back to Black albums . The articles list the tracks on the respective albums along with identifying the writers and producers of each track. Amy was co-writer of most of the songs on Frank and on four songs on Back to Black. She was the sole writer of most the remaining tracks. I think there were two covers on Frank. It's hard to tell who did what in the co-writing  arrangements. In some cases it was a sampling of an older song and in others, a direct collaboration between Amy and the co-writer. In "He Can Only Hold Her", Robert and Richard Poindexter were co-writers.  These are well established songwriters and Amy sampled one  of their songs: "She's a Fox Now".

Amy's lyrics are so personal and unique that I  think they must have been solely Amy's (except for the covers). I think the collaboration mostly involved the details of the melody and tempo and the instrumental arrangements generally. For example, I understand that Marc Ronson was heavily involved in the title song "Back to Black, introducing the heavy piano chords and variations as well as the pause filled by the percussion. He essentially transformed the song from a slow ballad to a hip hop influenced Wall of Sound production.

http://en.wikipedia....i/Back_to_Black

http://en.wikipedia....inehouse_album)

• MarthaVasil and Love is a losing game like this
"It's not me personally, is it?......I'm just a musician."

http://www.starpulse... - SXSW - video[

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users