42 replies to this topic

#1 yuni13leopard

yuni13leopard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationBoulder

Posted 02 January 2015 - 09:27 PM

This might contains spoiler for those who haven't read either or both books. 

Hi guys I just decided to have a discussion of the books that was released by Amy's parents  just to spicy up the discussion because it has been quiet lately here on the forum. 

I kept wondering after finishing the book "Loving Amy" is that did Cynthia had the premonition of the fate of Amy?

Also I am not sure what you guys think but I feel that the mother and daughter that Janis and Amy once shared is not strong prior to her death. For instance in the book Janis mentioned that she met Reg Traviss after Amy's death and Mitch already met Reg Traviss. Which it is funny because Janis mainly raised both Alex and Amy and in the book offers some clue that Mitch was somewhat absent father while Janis raising the kids with Cynthia's help after Mitch left Janis. Why would Janis have Cynthia's help if she has Mitch as the father of the children? Also in Mitch's book he took Alex and Amy out after he left Janis and took them on shopping spree which offers me the clue that he felt guilty and perhaps this led to Amy's shopping addiction later in life? 

• pearljo, ancre, melnyk and 1 other like this

#2 Gracex

Gracex

Got me addicted, does more than any dick did

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationN Ireland

Posted 03 January 2015 - 01:18 AM

Really good topic:) 

I have read both. Really hard to think back on Mitch's as I read it so long ago.

I think Amy was totally in awe of Mitch and liked how he doted on her.  The more she played up, the more he was there.  I think Janis however, had her own medical issues and tried to help then took a step back.  Mainly because she knew Mitch could get through to Amy more than her.

Both books are so different.  I read Mitch's book before I was a mum and Janis's after so maybe I should re read.

Janis was always very close to Cynthia- i think one book mentioned them even holidaying with Alex and Amy as kids minus Mitch. 

I miss how active the forum used to be so much. I would look at it once a day usually but with a toddler it's proving impossible. 

#3 yuni13leopard

yuni13leopard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationBoulder

Posted 03 January 2015 - 01:56 AM

Really good topic:) 

I have read both. Really hard to think back on Mitch's as I read it so long ago.

I think Amy was totally in awe of Mitch and liked how he doted on her.  The more she played up, the more he was there.  I think Janis however, had her own medical issues and tried to help then took a step back.  Mainly because she knew Mitch could get through to Amy more than her.

Both books are so different.  I read Mitch's book before I was a mum and Janis's after so maybe I should re read.

Janis was always very close to Cynthia- i think one book mentioned them even holidaying with Alex and Amy as kids minus Mitch. 

I miss how active the forum used to be so much. I would look at it once a day usually but with a toddler it's proving impossible. 

I agree on how Mitch doted on Amy, some pictures I saw Amy with Mitch she acted like a young child (thumb sucking), I don't see Amy doing that to Janis I think Janis was more like treated Amy like an adult-I might be wrong though. Janis worked as a pharmacist so therefore she knows how addicts behaves while Mitch didn't. There is a video lying somewhere on the internet showed Mitch and Janis had a different opinions how to deal with Amy's addiction. Mitch felt guilty and claimed that perhaps he was the problem in Amy's life while Janis denied his claims and explained that Amy knew and understood why Mitch left home years ago for Jane. My point is that Mitch and Janis had a different approach how to deal with addiction, Mitch still sees Amy as his baby girl likewise with Janis but Janis knew she needed help but it is up to Amy to clean up her act. 

You are right Janis does have a health issues and in Mitch book it offers some haunting details of how Mitch saw Amy in a bad shape, so therefore I feel that it helped bonded the relationship between father and daughter.

I think it got the fact that Janis didn't have a close relationship with her mum perhaps was the reason why she had a very close relationship with Cynthia. I was surprised that Janis mentioned that her mum left her father a day before her wedding. I am not sure if Janis's mum is still alive? Janis mentioned that her father passed away few months after Amy. It was heartbreaking to read how Janis ' father was left heartbroken when he learned the news of Amy's passing.  

#4 DARE TO BE D

DARE TO BE D

You Know I'm No Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 03:10 PM

I think the timing of the 2 books plays a part in this as well.

Mitch's book comes out right away after she passed and I think he may have wanted her to be seen in a better light. also Mitch was involved in her career and management and therefore was involved in her day to day life. BUT he had very little to write about before her career. Its obvious that he wasnt around as much .. His mother Cynthia seemed to fill the space left by her father who had left home to be with his mistress and her working Mom.

Janiis's book come out later aftet a few years have passsed and she has more to write about in terms of Amy's youth and how she became a singer.

I found Janis's book to be more revealing since she was able to let everybody know who her daughter was before the career and the drugs and she was honest about how much time she spent with her after she became famous. The fact that Mitch met Reg and she didnt just shows that Mitch was around more because he was involved with her management. Most women growing up will bang heads with their mothers , its just normal. I know my mother 

and I could never live together once I turned 18 .. it didnt mean i loved her less .. Also who introduces their mother or family to every man you date?

everyone has secrets and Amy was no different ..Maybe she decided she wanted the relationship with Janis as just mother & daughter ,since there 

was " Daddy Mitch" & Mitch Winehouse manger in her business.  Just my thoughts... 

• melnyk likes this

#5 CreativeAmyCanuckerGal

CreativeAmyCanuckerGal

" I said No, No, No "

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 02:55 AM

I have read Mitchs book and have yet to get to get Janis' book. I'm not sure how to get it as I dont live in UK, nor do i have a credit card or home internet, and I refuse to do online banking on public computers and free wifi .... I wish yhrbook could be ordered yhru the book store I frequrnt. That is how i got Mitch's book whrreas Jsnis' only seems tobe available only yhru Amszon.Co.UK.... One century, I will get Jsnis' book somehow, oh yes :).... AmyLuv to all :-)!!!!

#6 CreativeAmyCanuckerGal

CreativeAmyCanuckerGal

" I said No, No, No "

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 02:56 AM

I have read Mitchs book and have yet to get to get Janis' book. I'm not sure how to get it as I dont live in UK, nor do i have a credit card or home internet, and I refuse to do online banking on public computers and free wifi .... I wish yhrbook could be ordered yhru the book store I frequrnt. That is how i got Mitch's book whrreas Jsnis' only seems tobe available only yhru Amszon.Co.UK.... One century, I will get Jsnis' book somehow, oh yes :).... AmyLuv to all :-)!!!!
  • CreativeAmyCanuckerGal likes this

#7 Aina333

Aina333

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 11 January 2015 - 12:47 AM

I have read Mitch`s book which caused a strange feeling of depression. It seems that while listing the "sins" of his daughter the father himself has contributed a lot to them . Haven`t read Janis' book yet. Just hope that she is less mercantile and more realistic than her ex-husband. We miss Amy! Poor lonely soul! R.I.P.

• pearljo and dykehaze like this

#8 BeehiveQueen

BeehiveQueen

Camden Girl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • LocationHollywood, CA

Posted 05 February 2015 - 02:05 PM

I enjoyed reading both of the books. I preferred Janis' book.

#9 Mizzwanned

Mizzwanned

Noob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 06 February 2015 - 02:55 AM

I've read Mitch's book. I really want to read Janis' book as well. Janis is such an honest woman and tells it like it is really. I'd love to read stories of Amy growing up and personal info that make me feel like I know her in some way, know what I mean.

#10 BeehiveQueen

BeehiveQueen

Camden Girl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • LocationHollywood, CA

Posted 06 February 2015 - 07:09 PM

I thought reading Amy's journals from her early teens were the most telling.

So much need for control and perfection. It explained a lot.

• melnyk likes this

#11 xinkoa

xinkoa

Noob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 11:30 PM

Can anyone pm me the loving amy ebook? I know i shouldnt be asking for it, but i cannot afford it right now and I'd love to read it. I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#12 yuni13leopard

yuni13leopard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationBoulder

Posted 10 February 2015 - 06:49 AM

I've read Mitch's book. I really want to read Janis' book as well. Janis is such an honest woman and tells it like it is really. I'd love to read stories of Amy growing up and personal info that make me feel like I know her in some way, know what I mean.

Oh trust me Janis book is way better than Mitch, however Mitch did offer some that he witnessed Amy during her worse time dealing with her addiction. But again Janis was the one who was there for her children since they were born. Janis book offered me some clue that Mitch was not very much involved with their upbringing and their lives after he left Janis for Jane. Mitch became involved in Amy's life when she signed her first record. 

#13 zAMYz

zAMYz

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 02:34 PM

I have started to read Janises book, and to me it feels too personal already..

The book started with the story, where amy says (about this book idea) :''Don't do it ,Mum, I don't want people to know who I am", and I sooo understand that. If I imagine my self in her place, I would feel the same way.

When I read the book it feels a little like when mums tell too much and too private things about their kids to a friends in family dinner.. Like..I don't want for bad peope out there, that only loved the drama and shit about Amy, to read these intim life details about her..

Janise seems like a really nice person, but I just don't understand - Why would you want to tell those thing abot your kid.. 

Maybe its because Im super private person, but it feels too muc 4 me.

#14 Mizzwanned

Mizzwanned

Noob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 13 February 2015 - 10:00 PM

From what I understand, and I'm not sure if I'm right it's because she wanted to help anyone else that had a child with an addiction problem. I think she said that in an interview. I can also understand from Amy's view, I wouldn't want a book about myself out there either. Especially if someone is a celebrity, they probably want even more privacy to their already public life. But I hope Janis book is filled with nice stories of Amy as a child
  • marjolein and zAMYz like this

#15 CRM

CRM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 11:59 AM

it's not a nice thing to say, but I always felt that Mitch kind of used Amy as a springboard for his own attempt to have some kind of fame, and his book didn't exactly dissuade me from thinking this

• dykehaze and WhoDat like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users