42 replies to this topic

#31 yuni13leopard

yuni13leopard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationBoulder

Posted 02 April 2015 - 08:07 PM

She did realize how lucky she was to record with Tony though, she was in awe of HIM and thought lowly of herself. She wanted her singing to be perfect and you could see in the video of her recording with him that she kept stopping because she didn't want to waste his time. I just think that she didn't think she deserved any of it or was worthy enough. Of course I, and many other people do think she was worthy. She was epic.

I just wished that this experience would've helped Amy to quit her drinking. Also I read Tony's interview after Amy's passing is that he wished he could have sit down and have a talk with her. Tony himself battled alcoholism so it's unfortunate that Amy think herself like this way. I don't think she realized she is really talented. 

#32 dykehaze

dykehaze

What the fuck

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 03:07 PM

Tony wishes he had Amy's talent!

• Birdieava, SarahMermaid and GoddessAmy like this

#33 HelloSailor

HelloSailor

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 12:29 PM

I finished reading "Loving Amy" a few days ago.

First of all, Janis is quite an impressive woman. She may appear a little demure, but she's actually quite the lioness. Strong, independent, full of resolve. 

I was a little dissapointed that very few stories recounted were new to us. In fact, if you have read Mitch's book and are familiar with Amy's ilife, many of these stories seeem identical in their narrative, as if they have been rehearsed or discussed many a time, or picked and rewritten form other sources. I can understand that her parents didn't know everything about Amy, and so have to piece her life back together form different interviews, newspaper articles etc. So some of it doesn't seem completely genuine because not first hand accounts.

This book is better writtent than Mitch's, and much less rushed.

It's also more honest. Janis doesn't try to make excuses for Amy, she tells it as it is. For example, she's no fool, St Lucia's jazz festival concert was not cut short due to weather conditions, which was a cover-up, but clearly because Amy was drunk. 

Janis also discusses Amy's eating disorders.

I found it interesting that she addresses Amy's public personas (and fake accents), her thumb-sucking and acting like a kid, and surrounding herself with children. 

It's interesting how little Janis mentioned Blake or Dionne. 

I was heartbroken at how distant they had become in Amy's final years and how Amy hurt Janis by calling other women "mummy" and not really acknowledging her. 

I thought it was refreshing that Janis mentions more than once that Amy had mental issues underlying the addictions, a need for control, and that all her "rehab" stints were doomed attempts because she never tried real rehab, the one where they get you to dig deep and analyse what your triggers are and what the source of the problem is.

All in all it's much more realistic than Mitch's book. Possibly because Janis knew Amy well having always been by her side for most of her ife. Maybe because she's more pragmatic than Mitch, and also because she's had more time to digest her death and look back on things. 

It's a good read.

Strangely, I hardly cried at this one, whereas I was in tears throughout Mitch's book. 

• Sassy, Birdieava, YouShouldBeStrongerThanMe and 5 others like this

#34 Ace of Hearts

Ace of Hearts

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 12:34 PM

That is the best review I've read about the book and I agree with you 100%!

#35 inwinoveritas

inwinoveritas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 06:45 PM

everything is different, i guess, i mean, alone, if you're reading the titles. Janis called her book 'Loving Amy', the title speaks for itself. It's about sharing her love to her belated daughter with the world. It's about how she grew up and was raised, etc. Mitch called his book Amy, my Daughter. This title feels more like i'm the father of a celeb, here's my story! And it is also more about her scandals, drug addiction and her years in the Spotlight, whereas Janis' is more how she grew up, and less of the gossip stuff. And i also dislike the onduring Blake bahing in Mitch book.

• Ace of Hearts and GoddessAmy like this

#36 yuni13leopard

yuni13leopard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationBoulder

Posted 30 May 2015 - 04:26 AM

I finished reading "Loving Amy" a few days ago.

First of all, Janis is quite an impressive woman. She may appear a little demure, but she's actually quite the lioness. Strong, independent, full of resolve. 

I was a little dissapointed that very few stories recounted were new to us. In fact, if you have read Mitch's book and are familiar with Amy's ilife, many of these stories seeem identical in their narrative, as if they have been rehearsed or discussed many a time, or picked and rewritten form other sources. I can understand that her parents didn't know everything about Amy, and so have to piece her life back together form different interviews, newspaper articles etc. So some of it doesn't seem completely genuine because not first hand accounts.

This book is better writtent than Mitch's, and much less rushed.

It's also more honest. Janis doesn't try to make excuses for Amy, she tells it as it is. For example, she's no fool, St Lucia's jazz festival concert was not cut short due to weather conditions, which was a cover-up, but clearly because Amy was drunk. 

Janis also discusses Amy's eating disorders.

I found it interesting that she addresses Amy's public personas (and fake accents), her thumb-sucking and acting like a kid, and surrounding herself with children. 

It's interesting how little Janis mentioned Blake or Dionne. 

I was heartbroken at how distant they had become in Amy's final years and how Amy hurt Janis by calling other women "mummy" and not really acknowledging her. 

I thought it was refreshing that Janis mentions more than once that Amy had mental issues underlying the addictions, a need for control, and that all her "rehab" stints were doomed attempts because she never tried real rehab, the one where they get you to dig deep and analyse what your triggers are and what the source of the problem is.

All in all it's much more realistic than Mitch's book. Possibly because Janis knew Amy well having always been by her side for most of her ife. Maybe because she's more pragmatic than Mitch, and also because she's had more time to digest her death and look back on things. 

It's a good read.

Strangely, I hardly cried at this one, whereas I was in tears throughout Mitch's book. 

I was shocked to read that Janis met Reg Traviss for the first time after Amy's death, this is another way to tell how their relationship was already very distant. Since the documentary is going to be out this summer but read a review on Janis in the film, she mentioned that Amy blunted told Janis to be strict on Amy. I think it's tragedy on both sides, how Mitch is not being there during Amy's younger years and how Janis is not a strong role model. No wonder why Amy was afraid of Cynthia in a good way because she was strict on Amy and Alex. Since I read the both books from Amy's parents, I am curious what Alex have said about this one because he is the brother and he and Amy must have shared the same frustration and perspective. Alex was hurt deeply when Amy passed away and I highly doubt he will write the book about Amy.

#37 yuni13leopard

yuni13leopard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationBoulder

Posted 30 May 2015 - 04:29 AM

everything is different, i guess, i mean, alone, if you're reading the titles. Janis called her book 'Loving Amy', the title speaks for itself. It's about sharing her love to her belated daughter with the world. It's about how she grew up and was raised, etc. Mitch called his book Amy, my Daughter. This title feels more like i'm the father of a celeb, here's my story! And it is also more about her scandals, drug addiction and her years in the Spotlight, whereas Janis' is more how she grew up, and less of the gossip stuff. And i also dislike the onduring Blake bahing in Mitch book.

Very well said and compassion between those 2 books, I strongly agree with you on this one. No disrespect to Mitch but his actions speaks louder so ever since the papers announced that Mitch was dissatisfied with the new documentary about Amy showed it a lot that he is very concerned about the image, but really he is more concerned about his image and the foundation. 

• inwinoveritas and GoddessAmy like this

#38 Poom

Poom

My Own Best Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 12:13 PM

I was shocked to read that Janis met Reg Traviss for the first time after Amy's death, this is another way to tell how their relationship was already very distant. Since the documentary is going to be out this summer but read a review on Janis in the film, she mentioned that Amy blunted told Janis to be strict on Amy. I think it's tragedy on both sides, how Mitch is not being there during Amy's younger years and how Janis is not a strong role model. No wonder why Amy was afraid of Cynthia in a good way because she was strict on Amy and Alex. Since I read the both books from Amy's parents, I am curious what Alex have said about this one because he is the brother and he and Amy must have shared the same frustration and perspective. Alex was hurt deeply when Amy passed away and I highly doubt he will write the book about Amy.

Would be amazing if Alex did, I feel like we have never heard the story from him apart from the one interview he gave on the occasion of the exhibition at the Jewish museum.

• inwinoveritas and yuni13leopard like this

#39 Guest_Chris_*

Guest_Chris_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2015 - 04:03 PM

I wish Amy's brother and her closest friends would share their insights.
  • MandyP likes this

#40 amylove

amylove

<3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,480 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 02:31 PM

A little announcement... Janis' book Loving Amy has a US release date of January 12, 2016. I wonder if she'll be promoting it here...

#41 OinkaOinka

OinkaOinka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 10:07 AM

Just remembered a part of Mitch's book when Blake came to Amy's house in Hadley wood and how she basically laughed when Mitch kicked Blake in the bum and out of the house xD sounds as funny as this story when Amy pushed Blake into a hedge lol: All opinions aside I think they had some really cute and funny moments if only there would have been no drugs and less drinking involved..

It seems that the honeymoon between Amy Winehouse and her new husband, Blake Fielder-Civil has pretty much officially ended, with a public spat after the MTV Movie Awards. The young couple headed back to their hotel in Los Angeles, after Amy’s “Rehab” performance at the awards show, and proceeded to have a screaming match in the lobby.

‘As soon as they walked into the lobby they started screaming at each other. Amy was shouting, ‘You always f***ing do this! Don’t f***ing touch me! F**k you!’ a source tells the Daily Mirror.

‘She was in tears but Blake tried to walk away. It wound her up so much she pushed him into a hedge.’

I’m surprised she didn’t break her arm doing it. Luckily, however, he also seems to weigh about as much as a box of tissues, so I’m guessing she was OK.

http://www.socialite...t_album-06-2007

#42 Uno

Uno

It's bricked up in my head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 11:40 AM

This photo is from that night, after the 'hedge shove'. I've often wondered if this is where she got the song title 'Gutter' from ...

TNFVzA5rug0.jpg

• GoddessAmy likes this
Amy, if you are up there listening, thank you for sharing the incredible soundtracks of your life ...

#43 OinkaOinka

OinkaOinka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 12:42 PM

This photo is from that night, after the 'hedge shove'. I've often wondered if this is where she got the song title 'Gutter' from ...

TNFVzA5rug0.jpg

Oh really? I thought these were taken in London, but it was in US then? I wish there would be a pic w Blake actually in the hedges lol I just love when she gets tough against men probably why Tears dry is my fav song of hers ;)

I found some more info here http://www.standard....up-7272495.html I wonder what they were arguing about and if Blake really did tell her sometimes to not go to some gigs..

Did you post those song lyrics before somewhere? What is it sayin? I posted some unreleased stuff before too

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users