Photo
- - - - -

So, what do you think these lyrics mean to you?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 pearljo

pearljo

β™ͺβ™«β™« vaginal bleeding

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 06:27 PM

And life is like a pipe
And I'm a tiny penny rolling up the walls inside

#2 The Other Side

The Other Side

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 690 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 24 August 2015 - 06:34 PM

Maybe confused? Just spinning around.

#3 HelloSailor

HelloSailor

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 07:11 PM

I always felt this was a metaphore for a quick fix. At the time Blake was doing crack, cocaine and maybe other drugs, and Amy wasn't into that ("you love blow and I love puff"), and she really wanted to connect with him absolutely, in every way, even if it meant sharing the same highs. Before she indulged in those drugs herself, she just watched from the outside, watching him smoke his crack pipes and get an instant fix and always wanting more. In this sense it's a metaphore for their relationship. She felt used. Their love was intense but fleeting. Life is like a pipe, meaning she's just another hit in Blake's pipe... or something along those lines.

While we're on the subject, can anyone think of any interviews where Amy was asked to explain her lyrics in detail? I know they often asked her about Rehab where she would explain the story... but did anyone ever ask her about these particluar lyrics? 

• crol and Poom like this

#4 TBR

TBR

I still wonder 'bout the things you do

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 11:52 PM

I always thought it was a metaphor for her feeling an uphill struggle with life rather than a drugs reference (i.e life is difficult/impossible/an idea of futility, like a penny rolling up a vertical pipe) and feeling insignificant and overwhelmed. I've not explained it very well but that always made sense to me in the context of the song.

• HelloSailor likes this

#5 pearljo

pearljo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 03:07 AM

I've never heard her talk about those lyrics.  I wish she would have or maybe there's something out there about them.

I think pipe is a certain length, like life.  She's (small and insignificant) rolling up and down emotionally making her way through the pipe.  However long or short.

I doubt that's what she meant but that's what I think of when I hear it.

• HelloSailor likes this

#6 melnyk

melnyk

The Lighthouse Keeper

• Administrators
  • 1,468 posts
  • LocationπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦ Ukraine πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦

Posted 25 August 2015 - 06:20 AM

All seems to be a bit more straightforward, guys. Many people use a small copper coin (a penny) for mixing crack in a pipe, here are some prooflinks:

Surely, you all seem to be completely true about all these metaphores, I just wanted to add some facts

• Soul Power likes this

V.Melnyk

#7 pearljo

pearljo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 09:21 AM

Also from bluelight:   

"here's my personal recipe

edit: remove recipe

I put it in a spoon and add just enough water to get it nice and submerged
I apply heat for a minute or so and then take a penny and glide it through the top of the solution , Everything that sticks is your crack. Everything stuck to the bottom of the spoon is usually just cut or baking soda.

Scrape it off the penny allow it to dry.

#8 pearljo

pearljo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 10:23 AM

And... 

Smoking heroin off of a piece of tin foil. As the heroin rolls across the tin foil, the smoke moves with it and looks like a dragon. The user follows the smoke with their straw, hence "Chasing the dragon".
He's run out of needles, so he's chasing the dragon instead.

I'm not sure how this ties in. 

#9 pearljo

pearljo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 11:07 AM

D, from here said on FB:  "If life is the pipe, then the smoke is everything. The penny is almost extraneous to the situation.....present but not terribly important?"

So, the penny reference is smoke from the "penny-made" crack.  The smoke rolls up the pipe inside? 

I always picture a penny rolling up and down in a pipe, not smoke in a pipe, when inhaled, rolls up the pipe.

• Soul Power likes this

#10 Mizzwanned

Mizzwanned

Noob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 26 August 2015 - 11:47 AM

Wow! Reading the replies is interesting to me. So cool how people have many different understandings of it. I never connected it to a pipe-as in a crack pipe. To me, i always heard it as life is like a pipe-like a loooong pipe..you know the ones that are in bathrooms, in walls that transport water. A water pipe basically and she's a tiny penny lost in it(lost in life). I can picture a penny somewhere in a really long pipe, when i think of it. So yeah..her saying "rolling up the walls inside" always meant being lost in 'it' , not knowing where to go, what to do. but who knows really...
  • pearljo and melnyk like this

#11 pearljo

pearljo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 05:13 PM

Wow! Reading the replies is interesting to me. So cool how people have many different understandings of it. I never connected it to a pipe-as in a crack pipe. To me, i always heard it as life is like a pipe-like a loooong pipe..you know the ones that are in bathrooms, in walls that transport water. A water pipe basically and she's a tiny penny lost in it(lost in life). I can picture a penny somewhere in a really long pipe, when i think of it. So yeah..her saying "rolling up the walls inside" always meant being lost in 'it' , not knowing where to go, what to do. but who knows really...

Who knows is right.  :)

#12 melnyk

melnyk

The Lighthouse Keeper

• Administrators
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 07:08 AM

By the way, I was always sure that "black", which was mentioned in the song, is the "black" - an opioid containing heroin and other morphines.

V.Melnyk

#13 ToKnowHerIsToLoveHer

ToKnowHerIsToLoveHer

I'm not arrogant, just honest.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 08:10 AM

Wow, about "black" as a metaphora for a drug cocktail i did never thought. But that could probably be true...even if I personally will always connect it with depressions etc., because I think that she was not that much into heroin in that time, that was around 2006/2007...right? Not quite sure

#14 melnyk

melnyk

The Lighthouse Keeper

• Administrators
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 08:36 AM

I can err, but I always understood these lyrics right this way. "You go back to her and I go back to black". I always thought it meant that Blake went back to his ex-girlfriend (which really happened) and Amy had to go back to opiates. They were the only relief for Amy, who had to "get on without her guy". Amy and Blake used to use the "black" together, so opiates were something like the way to experience at least a small bit of something that she felt in her soul when they were together.

It all makes this song mich more grim than it's assumed by most of people.

V.Melnyk

#15 ToKnowHerIsToLoveHer

ToKnowHerIsToLoveHer

I'm not arrogant, just honest.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 09:10 AM

Yeah it's very interesting to read your interpretation turns the phrase into another light :)
I think songs where you can have a lot of sensefull interpretations have the "best" lyrics, not always but very often.
  • melnyk likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users