• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Lyricsbyamy

Lyricsbyamy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 01:15 PM

Guys,i am planning on buying one of the books written by Janis/or Mitch. For those who have read both, do you prefer "Amy my daughter" (mitch) or "loving Amy" (Janis) and why? I don't really Like Mitch so right now i'd probably go for Loving Amy but what's your opinion about it and which one do you look better and why?

Thankss
  • melnyk likes this

#2 melnyk

melnyk

The Lighthouse Keeper

• Administrators
  • 1,470 posts
  • Location🇺🇦 Ukraine 🇺🇦

Posted 18 May 2016 - 01:30 PM

Both of books let to see Amy and her life from a very close point of view. Surely, both views are subjective, but both of them let you dive into her story and feel like you've been there. So, why to choose between them? Just read both books and enjoy your trip! :)

• HelloSailor likes this

V.Melnyk

#3 CamdensAmyJade

CamdensAmyJade

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationU.K.

Posted 18 May 2016 - 05:56 PM

I can only speak for Mitch's book as that's the only one I've read. (however, I want to purchase Janis' soon) I am not Mitch's biggest fan either however I found the book captivating! I finished it in about 2/3 nights and it's a rather large book. It talks in detail about her whole life: her early childhood, her early music career, her fame and drug addiction in detail as well as her death and about the foundation. It's a rather good read if you ask me.

#4 Guest_Chris_*

Guest_Chris_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2016 - 07:36 PM

I prefer "Loving Amy".

#5 HelloSailor

HelloSailor

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 08:05 PM

Mitch's book has too many mistakes (wrong photo captions, where Mitch confuses events, what dress she wore, etc.) which is annoying, when you're a fan. But it does document her downward spiral quite well (the amount of times she was in and out of hospital, as if it was a hotel, which you don't necessarily get a feel for from the press). Mitch mentions he started keeping a diary around 2007/2008, and you can tell the difference. The stories aren't always very authentic, as you can tell he's patching together events recounted to him by other people, as he was quite absent from her life in the beginning (and we don't expect him to understand the music industry, Amy's personal vs. professional persona, etc.). 

Janis' account is much more personal. You can tell there are certain parts of Amy's life she was not privy to (her relationships with men, her addiction, etc.), and she doesn't try to fill those gaps, she only really recounts from her own point of view. 

Mitch's book also makes a lot of excuses, trying to show how present they were for Amy, how much they tried to help her...you see right through it, obviously he still carries a lot of guilt, and he wrote the book too soon after her death, so much of it feels like excuses (although based on his recent interviews/twitter rants, he's clearly not yet taken enough distance from the whole thing).

Whereas Janis' book makes no excuses. She explains things as they happened (or at least how she saw them, as a mother), even if they show her in a bad light. It's a very honest and frank account, even if sometimes you want to scream at her and say "why didn't you notice something was wrong or do something!". As she says, she did only as much as she could, because she seems much more accepting of her own weaknesses and her decisions along the way.

Also, it turns out Janis was a pretty awesome woman in her own right, and it helps you understand how Amy came to be such an independent woman.

Both books are quite complementary, so I would say read both if you can. But if you have to choose only one, then start with Janis'.

• Soul Power, Love is a losing game and GoddessAmy like this

#6 Love is a losing game

Love is a losing game

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 18 May 2016 - 10:20 PM

Janis's is the best.

Then for a bit of fantasy Mitch's book, and more fantasy Georgette's. Then you combine both and the trick's done. They sometimes correspond. Not the dates errors. Lol only joking x

#7 amywinehousequeen

amywinehousequeen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 10:40 PM

Janis' is both more enjoyable and informative. Half of Mitch's book is basically the same thing - Amy in and out of hospitals and rehab centres like a yo-yo. xxx

#8 pattieboyd2

pattieboyd2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 19 May 2016 - 08:06 AM

Go to a library and borrow both! (sorry, I am a librarian.  We have Mitch's book in my library but not Janice's so I bought that one).  Then you can buy the one you like best if you still want to.

I'm not gonna meet your mother anytime

#9 Mizzwanned

Mizzwanned

Noob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 21 May 2016 - 10:47 PM

I wanted to love Janis' book but I haven't even finished it. I keep trying to get into it and I can't. I'm more than half way done however, it just didn't capture my attention like Mitch's book did. Mitch's book I read in like 2 days. It was very interesting and I just wanted to know what happened, and he told the story step by step. While Janis is more about the whole family, her up bringing etc. She kept going off topic. However I like Janis, more than I do Mitch. It's just for some reason I got into his book more. 

#10 Soul Power

Soul Power

More than a fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 May 2016 - 01:53 PM

I agree with HelloSailor.  Start with Janis' book and if you only read one, that's the one for sure.  But Mitch's book does help fill in the picture quite a bit, especially from 2003 on.  My main complaint with Mitch's book is the overwrought "Blake is the root of all evil" theme that doesn't let up.  If Mitch lost a sock, then it was Blake Fielder-Civil's doing. 

I wish I could find the post to give credit where it's due, but someone pointed this out in another thread related to the two books: The titles say it all, and really give a clue to what to expect about the point-of-view and mindset of the author. 

Think about it...

"Loving Amy"

"Amy, My Daughter"

• HelloSailor, The Other Side and Love is a losing game like this

#11 DARE TO BE D

DARE TO BE D

You Know I'm No Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 06:41 PM

I Think i have read every book i could find about Amy including of course Mitch's Book & Janis's
to me Janis's book is more real . She tells you about young Amy before the stardom. and it made me smile ..
Although she is honest that she didnt see her much doing the fame, marriage to Blake and drugs
i was glad that she was not trying to make things up to not look bad like I think Mitch did.
I really wish that someone like Tyler J. writes a book , he was there during it all and til the end.
If he could be honest that is a book I think would be worth reading.
  • HelloSailor likes this

#12 HelloSailor

HelloSailor

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 04:50 PM

I really wish that someone like Tyler J. writes a book , he was there during it all and til the end.
If he could be honest that is a book I think would be worth reading.

Same here! 

#13 Guest_Chris_*

Guest_Chris_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2016 - 08:44 AM

Janis Winehouse will feature in a book on what it's like to raise a child who becomes a rock star.

http://www.nme.com/n...ave-grohl/96270

#14 Guest_Chris_*

Guest_Chris_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2017 - 07:39 AM

Amy is mentioned in two books by Kelly Osbourne:

Fierce (2009)
There Is No Fucking Secret (2017)

#15 Guest_Chris_*

Guest_Chris_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2017 - 10:08 PM

She is also mentioned in a book by Aisleyne Horgan-Wallace:

Surviving Guns, Gangs and Glamour (2009)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users