#16 Mizzwanned

Mizzwanned

Noob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 14 June 2017 - 07:25 PM

How was your trip? What places you visited? Was it fun?

It was amazing! I stayed in London 5 days but only in Camden about 2. It's a ways out from where I was staying by tower bridge so once in Camden we stayed there. I dragged my mom around all over trying to find all the Amy spots 😂 Went to the market, found the 'good mixer' right away as it's right by one of the markets. Then 'Hawley arms'. Took pics and went it really quick but didn't have time to stay and eat, drink. Found the Amy statue and took lots of pics. It's in he horse stable market. It felt so surreal being there thinking it's the area Amy was all around ! I love London! Then crazy story- took my mom to see Amy's old house. The one where she had many bad nights and paps camped outside :/ took pics(love the street btw). As we were leaving we were going to cross the street and someone asked us for directions. He said he was looking for her old house for his niece who's a huge fan so we said omg we were just there, we can show you. We took him to see it and we were talking. I was telling him her dad still lives in her first flat on Jeffries st. Jeffries st is right next to this st. Anyway as I was telling him a car is backing up almost into him to turn around. I say watch out. When I looked at the driver it was Mitch himself! I was like "Mitch...hi" kinda thinking out loud cause I couldn't believe it was him. I've only seen him in pics. Holy crap it's a small world! He said "hey you alright" something like that and drove to Amy's first flat where he lives. My moms like how do you know his name? I'm like "mom! That is Amy's dad Mitch! Hello! I was just telling you he still lives here " Lol . She's like "oh wow let's go says hi". I'm like 'omg no'...I hate bothering people btw. Whenever I see a celeb in ny I never go say hi. Anyway my mom doesn't care so she along with the guy starts walking towards him and I'm trotting along behind like omg what do I say? Lol anyway long story short he was really really nice. My mom told him I'm a huge fan of Amy and how I had her all over Camden looking for the Amy spots. Haha It turns out he had left for the day but lost his house keys and came back to look for them. What are the chances? I feel like Amy sent him for me because I was just so emotional and just ..idk I can't explain. I already met her mom 2 years ago in ny. Anyway we took pics which I won't post because I don't like how I look in them haha but if you want to see I can send them to you :) but yeah Mitch was super nice and just as I imagined him. Thick London accent..looks the same. My mom really liked him as well. Anyway just can't believe how it all happened because we had already left until that other fan was looking for her house that we went back with him, so we almost missed Mitch! Everyone in camden must know one another idk so yeah after that we went to the house which she passed in, it was about 8 minute walk to Camden square. I left her a little message on the tree. I felt sad looking at the house as I've seen it so much online in pictures of when she passed. I miss her so much. London was great though and I can't wait to go back. I didn't get to go to jamon jamon or the Brazilian jazz club she loved as I don't think it was IN Camden. Well I just didn't have enough time but yeah:/
  • Uno, melnyk, pattieboyd2 and 4 others like this

#17 pattieboyd2

pattieboyd2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 15 June 2017 - 10:05 AM

Jamon Jamon and the Jazz Cafe are on the Parkway in Camden.  Same street the Dublin Castle and Earl of Camden are on and the Jewish Museum is just off the Parkway so maybe next time you can concentrate on that end of Camden (the Regents Park side of Camden High Street)!  It's always good to have something to go back for.

Must have been interesting to bump into Mitch!  I just missed meeting both her parents at Amy's birthday celebrations in Camden last year.  My timing, unlike yours, was just slightly off and they arrived just after I left.

I'm not gonna meet your mother anytime

#18 imnogood

imnogood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 10:38 PM

Wow Mizzwanned, such an amazing story!!! Thank you for sharing it!! I'd love to see your picture with Mitch!!

I also enjoyed my first time in London a lot! Already checking the tickets to go back in autumn again.

Anyway, i'll share some of my experience too. I was staying in Camden and i LOVED the area. It's kind of touristy (not sure if it was the case 5+ years ago when Amy used to lived there, London changes so fast) but everyone i met was so friendly! I went to an awesome gig in Jazz cafe alone and ended up partying with some amazing random people until sunlight almost. I wasn't very keen on going to Amy's favorite bars because a local guy told me the bar scene changed since then and i wouldn't get the same vibes, he was Jamaican (Jewmaican, as Amy would say, lol) and he knew a lot about her, it seems everyone in Camden does. I checked Hawley arms and The good mixer from the outside and it didn't look like much fun.

So the next morning i decided to go see Amy's house in Camden square. I was just walking around, chain smoking and a man randomly said to me 'she used to walk on this side, exactly where you're walking now' and it hit me. I started crying so bad. I was sitting on a bench and couldn't believe i'm just right next to where she used to live, and... that she's gone now, and been gone for a pretty long time. I don't know i felt like i really miss her, like she was someone really close, and i don't normally feel that way about people i didn't know, no matter how much i admire them.

I also went to the Jewish museum, spent a lot of time there, barely holding my tears. I really recommend it, there are some Amy's childhood pictures and personal things i haven't seen before, her fridge magnets collection, for example. I loved how personal and intimate it feels there.

Honestly, i loved it so much in London, i'll definitely be back, luckily it's just a 2 hours flight for me. I need to visit Amy's other house next time. I really understand why she loved Camden so much now. I loved Brixton too and i really recommend Troy bar in Shoreditch for anyone who's into unpolished jazz places with amazing music and jam sessions. I'm sure Amy would love that place.

Some pictures:

http://imgur.com/ekmmy8Q

http://imgur.com/yBJeUVt

http://imgur.com/0Qnr9Fv

http://imgur.com/D7HKuc4

http://imgur.com/Bgskap6

http://imgur.com/LSIJ6Xo

• Uno, melnyk, pattieboyd2 and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users