5 replies to this topic

#1 mayday

mayday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 06:09 AM

In 2000, a Yahoo user with the screen-name "bunnycaress" created a group called "Bunny's Vintage Movies."

https://groups.yahoo...tagemovies/info

The group was established for fans of classic MGM films to discuss their favorite flicks and post pictures of their favorite actors

There were a core group of about five or six people who struck up friendships with one another. Further posts would reveal that Bunny was a 16 year old girl named Amy. She shared her passion for older movies, music, pro wrestling and certain actors (she had an affinity towards Michael Madsen and Paul Newman) with the handful of people she allowed in her group. Berlinbetty, bennydrinnon and fredducker were a few of the users Bunny would come to call her friends, most of whom were older than her.

Conversation would eventually shift from movies to general gossip. Amy went into detail about her dream: to become a jazz singer. Her Internet friends would joke with her, saying to remember her when she became famous. After all, she was just a teenager and we all had those dreams.

Bunny’s big break came in 2001 when she met Simon Fuller, creator of the Idol franchise. She detailed the encounter and hoped it “justified her absence” to her friends.

https://groups.yahoo...s/messages/1013

Her online buddies couldn’t have been more happy for her. They each supported her and hoped the best for their beloved moderator.

To the members of BVM, she was bunnycaress. To the rest of the world, she would be better known by her real name: Amy Winehouse.

Amy would go on to have huge success as a singer. Her song “Rehab” won the Grammy for Record of the Year, Song of the Year and Best Female Pop Performance in 2008 and her album Back to Black was the highest charting UK album of 2007. Her music inspired the likes of Adele and Lady Gaga, and big names such as Prince and George Michael spoke highly of her music. She had become a star.

Amy’s singing prowess made her famous, but it was her personal life that would be covered heavily by the press. Following the release of her debut album Frank, her boyfriend introduced her to hard drugs. Videos of her smoking crack were leaked online. She became more known for her addiction to drugs and alcohol than her music. A once vibrant, happy-go-lucky young woman was deteriorating rapidly for the entire world to see. A shining beacon of pure talent outshone by the artificial lights of paparazzi’s cameras.

She would eventually kick her drug habit, though her alcoholism never wavered. Years of drug and alcohol abuse, coupled with bulimia, would take Amy's life on July 23th, 2011. She was 27 years old.

By the time she passed, Bunny’s Vintage Movies was all but a shell of its former self. Understandably, Amy no longer had the time to devote to moderating the board once her career took off; her last post was in 2002. Some of the original members continued on for a couple years, but they too would move on. What was once an active board turned into a feeding ground for spam messages.

The day following Amy’s death, fredducker returned to Bunny’s Vintage Movies to post one final message:

https://groups.yahoo...ons/topics/2933

"Rest in peace, Amy / bunny. You were a much better person than they said."

• Tara, KCAmy, Fierce and 5 others like this

#2 sgh

sgh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 12:50 AM

Saw this on Reddit a few weeks ago, there are some nice comments on it. https://www.reddit.c...of_bunnycaress/

#3 pattieboyd2

pattieboyd2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:58 AM

I once read all the posts in that group and I sometimes wonder what became of all the regular members.

• inwinoveritas likes this

I'm not gonna meet your mother anytime

#4 inwinoveritas

inwinoveritas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 10:25 AM

I once read all the posts in that group and I sometimes wonder what became of all the regular members.

Me too. Some very iinteresting topics, some are less appealing. I alsso wondered, what becamof all the members, but i guess, we'll never know. I only can tell you what becae of this group:unfortunately a board full of spambots and weird ads.

• pattieboyd2 likes this

#5 Moonvenue

Moonvenue

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 01:29 AM

I just read through hundreds of those  messages on the yahoo group. It was actually a very very interesting group of people and cool to see Amy from the perspective. Thanks for sharing. 

#6 Mizzwanned

Mizzwanned

Noob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 29 July 2017 - 04:37 AM

Yes I remember reading this. I also remember reading about the guy that would skype with her all the time. I was jelly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users