Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Amy Winehouse: Back to Black (A new documentary)

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#46 xDetachmentx

xDetachmentx

We both know what it is

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 01:18 AM

I used to think it was about black tar heroin, I don't think she did heroin though, and as far as when Back to Black was released, her only addiction problem was with the alcohol. I've since thought about it being about dark times, black times, since he left her, and she started falling into dark times again.

• catpuss likes this

#47 Fierce

Fierce

Play dirty.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 07:47 AM

I used to think it was about black tar heroin, I don't think she did heroin though, and as far as when Back to Black was released, her only addiction problem was with the alcohol. I've since thought about it being about dark times, black times, since he left her, and she started falling into dark times again.

According to Janis book Amy once tried heroin before even Frank was released. ''I've smoked heroin, Mum, but it was nothing''

#48 xDetachmentx

xDetachmentx

We both know what it is

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 05:05 PM

Ahh, okay. I'm glad she didn't get addicted to it, but wow. Maybe it could be, but black tar isn't as popular in the UK. I thought I remembered an interview where she talked about it, maybe I'm just crazy.

#49 catpuss

catpuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 02:18 AM

Just heard someone mention Afghan black cannabis, sure someone will have the answer. Saw an interview with Amy when she mentioned the title saying it was about depression but laughing at the same time and raising her eyebrows, and that was the beginning of the song is about, I think sorry if wrong.

#50 Gorejuice

Gorejuice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 06 October 2018 - 07:04 PM

Just heard someone mention Afghan black cannabis, sure someone will have the answer. Saw an interview with Amy when she mentioned the title saying it was about depression but laughing at the same time and raising her eyebrows, and that was the beginning of the song is about, I think sorry if wrong.

In multiple interviews she says that the word BLACK is to symbolize going back into a dark, depressive place. So, in the context of the song, Blake breaks off the relationship with her, goes back to what he knows ( his ex girlfriend) and Amy goes back to being in a real bad state emotionally and mentally, becoming super depressed and then, drinking so much and not leaving her house and making her managers say she needs to go to rehab......and then out of the situation that inspired Back to Blake, the track Rehab was born.

#51 Gorejuice

Gorejuice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 06 October 2018 - 07:08 PM

Also, it was pretty common knowledge that at that time period when she was dating Blake, she was only drinking and smoking weed. She hadnt touched cocaine or crack yet, that was later after or around her 2007 US tour. Hence the verse "I loved you much, its not enough, you love blow and I love puff"

blow - cocaine, puff - weed

• xDetachmentx likes this

#52 Tanqueray

Tanqueray

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, England

Posted 08 October 2018 - 08:50 PM

Hi everyone, I might be repeating what you already know so if I am I apologise, the Back To Black documentary that is being released as a 2 disc DVD and Blu-ray on 2nd November is the 59 minute Classic Albums episode that was shown on the BBC on Amy’s birthday. The 2nd disc is the full performance from the Grammy night and also includes two rehearsal songs, (You Know I’m No Good & Rehab) I have preordered it from the official Amy Winehouse website but it can also be preordered from Amazon and HMV etc. See the link for full details on the Official Amy site.
https://store.amywin...DVD/5Y8F0000000
Sorry if I’m just repeating something you all already know.
  • xDetachmentx likes this

#53 Uno

Uno

It's bricked up in my head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:25 AM

Here's the playing order of what is going to be on the DVD, released Nov 2nd  ....

Selections:
1. Back To Black (The Documentary)
1. Menu / Amy Winehouse / Back To Black
2. You Know I'm No Good [Live At Riverside Studios, London, UK / 10th February 2008 / Bonus Video]
3. Rehab [Live At Riverside Studios, London, UK / 10th February 2008 / Bonus Video]
4. Addicted [Live At Riverside Studios, London, UK / 10th February 2008 / Bonus Video]
5. Tears Dry On Their Own [Live At Riverside Studios, London, UK / 10th February 2008 / Bonus Video]
6. Back To Black [Live At Riverside Studios, London, UK / 10th February 2008 / Bonus Video]
7. Hey Little Rich Girl [Live At Riverside Studios, London, UK / 10th February 2008 / Bonus Video]
8. A Message To You Rudy [Live At Riverside Studios, London, UK / 10th February 2008 / Bonus Video]
9. Love Is A Losing Game [Live At Riverside Studios, London, UK / 10th February 2008 / Bonus Video]
10. You Know I'm No Good [Rehearsal / Live At Riverside Studios, London, UK / 10th February 2008 / Bonus Video]
11. Rehab [Rehearsal / Live At Riverside Studios, London, UK / 10th February 2008 / Bonus Video]

• Gus×Wino, pattieboyd2, weloveyouamy and 1 other like this
Amy, if you are up there listening, thank you for sharing the incredible soundtracks of your life ...

#54 amylove

amylove

<3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,480 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 12:50 PM

You can Pre-order the DVD or Blu-Ray of the Back to Black Doc on Amazon, it says the release date is 11/02/2018.

https://www.amazon.c...H4G5FBPMPNZM2NS

Thanks for the link!

#55 ravenauseous

ravenauseous

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 02:18 PM

Are they not gonna have Me & Mr Jones, Cupid, Wake Up Alone, You’re Wondering Now, and Valerie?

Here's the playing order of what is going to be on the DVD, released Nov 2nd ....

Selections:
1. Back To Black (The Documentary)
1. Menu / Amy Winehouse / Back To Black
2. You Know I'm No Good [Live At Riverside Studios, London, UK / 10th February 2008 / Bonus Video]
3. Rehab [Live At Riverside Studios, London, UK / 10th February 2008 / Bonus Video]
4. Addicted [Live At Riverside Studios, London, UK / 10th February 2008 / Bonus Video]
5. Tears Dry On Their Own [Live At Riverside Studios, London, UK / 10th February 2008 / Bonus Video]
6. Back To Black [Live At Riverside Studios, London, UK / 10th February 2008 / Bonus Video]
7. Hey Little Rich Girl [Live At Riverside Studios, London, UK / 10th February 2008 / Bonus Video]
8. A Message To You Rudy [Live At Riverside Studios, London, UK / 10th February 2008 / Bonus Video]
9. Love Is A Losing Game [Live At Riverside Studios, London, UK / 10th February 2008 / Bonus Video]
10. You Know I'm No Good [Rehearsal / Live At Riverside Studios, London, UK / 10th February 2008 / Bonus Video]
11. Rehab [Rehearsal / Live At Riverside Studios, London, UK / 10th February 2008 / Bonus Video]

#56 Uno

Uno

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:36 PM

Are they not gonna have Me & Mr Jones, Cupid, Wake Up Alone, You’re Wondering Now, and Valerie?

Sure doesn't look like it. They also don't have the songs in the same order as to what was on the setlist that was hanging on the wall in the backstage area

Amy, if you are up there listening, thank you for sharing the incredible soundtracks of your life ...

#57 Gorejuice

Gorejuice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 31 October 2018 - 05:10 AM

Also that says it has two performances of You Know Im No Good? might be a mix up.

#58 Uno

Uno

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 07:21 AM

Also that says it has two performances of You Know Im No Good? might be a mix up.

The first 9 songs are from her actual performance and the last two, 10 & 11, are from the rehearsal

#59 lazygirl

lazygirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 03:46 PM

where can I watch it ? 

#60 xDetachmentx

xDetachmentx

We both know what it is

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 10:49 PM

It's to be released on November 2nd, but I'm sure it'll be online by the next day, so in 3-4 days, ideally. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users