Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Amy Winehouse: Back to Black (A new documentary)

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#61 Tanqueray

Tanqueray

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, England

Posted 02 November 2018 - 08:31 PM

Yes! Mine came today. I pre-ordered on the official Amy site

#62 Tanqueray

Tanqueray

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 08:33 PM

Yes! My copy came today. I pre-ordered it on the official Amy site.

#63 xDetachmentx

xDetachmentx

We both know what it is

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 08:38 PM

Hoping to see mine arrive soon, can't wait to see the concert!

• Tanqueray likes this

#64 Tanqueray

Tanqueray

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 08:44 PM

My wife is supposed to be giving this to me as a Christmas pressie so I probably won't be able to see the concert until then. I've already seen the documentary on the BBC though.
  • xDetachmentx likes this

#65 xDetachmentx

xDetachmentx

We both know what it is

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 03:42 AM

I'm sure you will, I wouldn't worry. I'd be surprised if it weren't online by even next week, when people start actually getting them

#66 Amy_Amy_Amy

Amy_Amy_Amy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 09 November 2018 - 08:05 AM

Bought it at a local record store. Just finished watching it a little over an hour ago. 

It was pretty good. It's a little over an hour long. It cuts back and fourth between Remi and Ronson talking about each of the tracks they worked on during the recording process of the album. It's pretty cool how they did it. There's also a lot of footage of Amy discussing the writing process of the songs. 

While watching I noticed something I never knew... I know Remi had done the majority of Frank and that album's production style is a lot different from the production on BTB. I don't know how this never clicked to me, but some of, if not all (it was never clarified in the doc) of the songs produced by Remi originally had Frank style Jazzy production with a Hip Hop style. There's even a couple instances throughout where they play clips from songs (Me & Mr Jones / Just Friends) and the beats are so much different. You guys don't know how hurt I felt after hearing these. I want to hear these so badly considering Frank is my favorite album of all time. 95% of the music I listen to is Hip Hop, and when I first came across Ms. Winehouse and heard Frank; besides Amy's one of a kind voice, the biggest thing that drew me in was the production. I am just so curious to hear what some of the BTB songs sound like with Remi's Frank type production. If I could have anything in the world, I just want a short EP of the original Remi produced BTB songs over the original beats. I'd give anything to hear these recordings.

Anyways, I know I'm rambling on. Yes, this was a very interesting watch and I'm glad I purchased the doc! The only thing I was disappointed in was the fact that neither "He Can Only Hold Her" nor "Addicted" was broken down and discussed. Other than that, it was awesome. 

I love you, Amy. Thank you for blessing me and the rest of the world. R.I.P. Angel. 

• MingusMonk&Amy, xDetachmentx and JadedHearts like this

#67 MingusMonk&Amy

MingusMonk&Amy

MingusMonk&Amy

• Moderators
  • 776 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 09 November 2018 - 09:17 PM

While watching I noticed something I never knew... I know Remi had done the majority of Frank and that album's production style is a lot different from the production on BTB. I don't know how this never clicked to me, but some of, if not all (it was never clarified in the doc) of the songs produced by Remi originally had Frank style Jazzy production with a Hip Hop style. There's even a couple instances throughout where they play clips from songs (Me & Mr Jones / Just Friends) and the beats are so much different. You guys don't know how hurt I felt after hearing these. I want to hear these so badly considering Frank is my favorite album of all time. 95% of the music I listen to is Hip Hop, and when I first came across Ms. Winehouse and heard Frank; besides Amy's one of a kind voice, the biggest thing that drew me in was the production. I am just so curious to hear what some of the BTB songs sound like with Remi's Frank type production. If I could have anything in the world, I just want a short EP of the original Remi produced BTB songs over the original beats. I'd give anything to hear these recordings.

I completely agree. Frank is my favorite album of all-time too. Besides Amy's voice, I also fell in love with the production style, a gorgeous combination of Crossover/Straight-Ahead Jazz mixed with Hip-Hop and blue-eyed soul. There's no other album like it. B2B has been imitated many times. I didn't like, or rather, I thought I didn't like Rap/Hip-Hop at the time, but Salaam and Amy turned me over.

Just like they did with the AMY doc, they are once again teasing tiny snippets of unheard recordings. Very frustrating. These unreleased recordings are so precious. There's no point in keeping them locked up on some hard drive (like Salaam said). The world needs to hear them. The creation of a genius :wub: It means so much to me.

• Amy_Amy_Amy, xDetachmentx and JadedHearts like this

#68 Amy_Amy_Amy

Amy_Amy_Amy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 10 November 2018 - 08:17 AM

I completely agree. Frank is my favorite album of all-time too. Besides Amy's voice, I also fell in love with the production style, a gorgeous combination of Crossover/Straight-Ahead Jazz mixed with Hip-Hop and blue-eyed soul. There's no other album like it. B2B has been imitated many times. I didn't like, or rather, I thought I didn't like Rap/Hip-Hop at the time, but Salaam and Amy turned me over.

Just like they did with the AMY doc, they are once again teasing tiny snippets of unheard recordings. Very frustrating. These unreleased recordings are so precious. There's no point in keeping them locked up on some hard drive (like Salaam said). The world needs to hear them. The creation of a genius :wub: It means so much to me.

I echo everything you said. Completely agree. It really irritated me while watching it. I had to pause and rewind it multiple times because I wanted to hear the parts of the songs there were playing. At least we have hope though. Now we are 10000% sure that these exist and that they're still around. Hopefully one day we will be blessed enough to hear them. 

#69 xDetachmentx

xDetachmentx

We both know what it is

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 09:12 PM

Well, as Salaam said, he doesn't see any point in keeping them like that. Maybe he'll be able to convince Mitch to do something like that one day, or even for the hologram tour or biopic. Releasing an album or just a small collection would really build hype for both of those things, and get more people to come (meaning more money for the charity). Just wishful thinking probably, but it's nice to dream.

• Amy_Amy_Amy likes this

#70 Jmoney

Jmoney

Mr. Magic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 03:43 PM

Watched it for the first time yesterday, loved it a lot.

#71 LuckyHorse

LuckyHorse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 11:31 PM

Can someone please upload on YT or make a download? I tried watching on Amazon it says not available in your country :(

#72 MingusMonk&Amy

MingusMonk&Amy

MingusMonk&Amy

• Moderators
  • 776 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 21 June 2019 - 11:51 PM

Can someone please upload on YT or make a download? I tried watching on Amazon it says not available in your country :(

I can highly recommend the Bluray. This content is much too precious to watch on a streaming/download service with lossy audio.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users