4 replies to this topic

#1 LuckyHorse

LuckyHorse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 08:39 AM

Am I the only one who thinks Amy is not remembered as much as she should be? Right after her death, Adele blew up (as well as other similar acts who where signed by record labels to be the "new Amy Winehouse", like Duffy and Lana Del Rey) the latter especially gets called the most influential artist of the decade by many music publication and is credited for the 60s vintage style even though Amy did it first! Whitney, Aaliyah, Nirvana and MJ did not have copycats blow up at the time of their death, does that have something to do with Amy being overlooked? How would Amy feel about her successors?
  • DavinAgog likes this

#2 xDetachmentx

xDetachmentx

We both know what it is

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 06:15 PM

I don't like to put down other artists for the sake of my own favourite. Lana and Adele are their own people and I wouldn't count them as a part of that group of copy cats, but obviously they benefited from her existence and how she shook up the music industry in the 2000's, Adele even went so far as to say that without Frank she might not even be singing. Duffy was obviously meant to be some sort of family friendly, less drug-addled/volatile version of Amy, but that's not really her own fault. As for how Amy would feel, I don't think she'd take offense, I would think she'd be flattered in a weird way. I heard somewhere that she was afraid of Adele replacing her though, I recall many people comparing the two at the time and saying that Adele would completely outlast Amy by a large margin and eventually surpass her in the scope of popularity, praise, etc. (which, sadly, turned out to be true). I don't think Amy was in it for all that though, I really do think that ultimately she just wanted to make music and live her life.

• DavinAgog likes this

#3 SarahMermaid

SarahMermaid

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 22 November 2020 - 08:55 PM

I think this blog post from 2015 explains Amy’s influence brilliantly and why it’s important that a younger generation know about it. I remember at the time Amy being called the ‘nirvana’ of the noughties!

https://burrunjor.co...-amy-winehouse/
  • DavinAgog likes this

#4 backtoamy

backtoamy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 November 2020 - 03:41 AM

I don't believe those artists themselves are trying to copy/replace Amy. If I'm not wrong, Adele very much loved her and appreciated her artistic talents. I think the ones we should be pointing fingers to is the media in general since they're very quick on putting categories and labels on famous people. It's awful to treat artists as "the new ___" when those artists sometimes are simply giving a little nod to another artist's style and such while staying in their own path: that's how inspirations work and I don't really see this a copycat case. But yes, I do believe Amy "helped" them to be where they are now in a way.

• Amy Legend likes this

IN LOVING MEMORY OF

|| AMY JADE WINEHOUSE ||

1983 - 2011

ALWAYS IN OUR HEARTS

#5 Burina

Burina

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Posted 12 December 2020 - 12:01 AM

I think this blog post from 2015 explains Amy’s influence brilliantly and why it’s important that a younger generation know about it. I remember at the time Amy being called the ‘nirvana’ of the noughties!

https://burrunjor.co...-amy-winehouse/

I wrote that article! Thanks for sharing it. 

This is another article I wrote about the vile treatment Amy got. It's not just about her and I understand if this is perhaps too political an article, but it means a lot to me and I'd love to hear your opinions on it. 

https://burrunjor.co...ns-are-cowards/

I have also write original fiction and I have based one of the main characters on Amy. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users