kevd7

Soaked in soul he swims in my eyes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 05:58 PM

excerpt from the article....

"We all love a survivor and that's our Amy
There haven't been many artists this decade who have managed to offend the self-appointed moral majority as much as Amy Winehouse.

In some circles the very mention of her is as controversial as a night out at your local curry house with Jade Goody's clan and yet through it all, she remains as magnetic as ever.

But why do we all keep reading about her and buying her records, I hear you cry?

Well, because everyone loves a survivor and nobody plays that role better than the bee-hived behemoth of modern jazz.

In the past year alone she's fought with the paparazzi, battled the haters and brawled with her husband Blake Fielder-Civil, polarising the public and making her either reviled or revered.

Everyone has an opinion on La Winehouse, but no matter what happens down the line you can't deny that she's made pop music dangerous and unpredictable again and for that I say god bless her.

Musicians are at their best when they're shocking the mainstream.

Marc Bolan's gender-bending performances and Joe Strummer's politicised sloganeering are perfect examples of what I'm talking about and now that torch has been passed to our Amy. While her music might tell a different story, for all intents and purposes she is as punk as they come.

But it's not the tattoos and Siouxsie Sioux-inspired eye make-up that gives her away as a natural heir to Joey Ramone's throne - it's her take-no-lip attitude that marks her apart.

For me, part of Amy's charm lies in her innate ability to put people's noses out of joint. If you take a moment to think about her detractors, you'll realise that most of them are middle-aged, middle-of-the-road men who probably haven't listened to a record since Alvin Stardust gurned on about his Coo-Ca-Choo in 1973 (and they say that Amy is a bit nutty).

Quite frankly it's about time that the old guard were given their marching orders and I reckon Ms Winehouse is the girl to do it.

But let's not forget what brought her to the dance in the first place - her voice.

There is no doubt in my mind that once all the hype and hyperbole dies down, Back to Black will define this decade.

From the opening stomp of Rehab all the way through to album closer He Can Only Hold Her, the record is pure sonic gold. It's an accessible, old-school pop album full of anthems that are catchier than the cold at Christmas and it has deservedly made Amy an icon.

I think what's most exciting about her, however, it that the best is yet to come. You see Amy writes from experience and if a fairly modest family argument about her drinking led her to pen her calling card, Rehab, can you imagine what album number three has in store? "

http://www.belfastte...icle3210731.ece

#2 -Sammy-

-Sammy-

my tears dry on their own

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 07:00 PM

wow brilliant article love it, one of the best ive read =D

#3 Lainey

Lainey

Just Friends