Just Friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 05:00 PM

Should be #1, of course! www.ew.com

2. AMY WINEHOUSE
Back to Black (Universal Republic)
Now infamously troubled, Amy Winehouse risks a total eclipse of the art. But come what may, Black will hold up as one of the great breakthrough CDs of our time. This synthesis of girl-group soul, doowop, and vintage Bond-theme music makes you feel like you've tapped into a ghost radio station...until you hear those often hilarious contemporary lyrics. Refusing ''Rehab''? Confessing to her man that those rug burns signify just what he imagines (''You Know I'm No Good'')? Then, bilking expectations, she gives us a timeless lament like ''Love Is a Losing Game.'' In the end, the singer's real-life heartache over her incarcerated spouse proves what's obvious from the grooves: When this lady sings about love, she means every word.

And - #2 single, same publication

2. ''You Know I'm No Good,'' Amy Winehouse
Don't be so hard on yourself, Amy. As a matter of fact, we know you're great. Whatever tabloid you end up in next, this tale of infidelity — full of swaggering brass and suggestive lyrics — will be there to remind us why we took notice of you in the first place.

Nice to see a song other than Rehab getting the recognition for a change.
And finally, the readers vote:

Who is the best new artist of 2007?
41%, Amy Winehouse. 25% Lily Allen. 12% Colbie Caillat.
11% Sean Kingston. 11% Taylor Swift.

#2 sarahbol

sarahbol

I died a hundred times.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,736 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 09:45 PM

[quote]
Whatever tabloid you end up in next, this tale of infidelity — full of swaggering brass and suggestive lyrics — will be there to remind us why we took notice of you in the first place.[/QUOTE]
[/quote]
Great to read that people do still remember what it should be about.

Thanks for posting Lainey.

#3 suestev07

suestev07

injured butterfly is so talented, it hurts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 11:16 PM

"Nice to see a song other than Rehab getting the recognition for a change."

"Great to read that people do still remember what it should be about."

My sentiments exactly on both counts.

Those of us who love her artistry and respect and admire her as a person know what it's about.

#4 kevd7

kevd7

Soaked in soul he swims in my eyes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 03:52 AM

2nd to Bruce, I can handle that. Though his album wasn't nominated for Grammy's Album of the Year. Just got my issue today, she's featured among many in a Sgt. Peppers- like collage on the cover and prominently throughout.

"Great Performances of 2007"

Amy Winehouse
South By Southwest

"It's hard to remember a world without Winehouse, but until this year, the bluesy British songstress was but a beehive and a dream- at least to most Americans. Then came a number of performances at the four- day music showcase South By Southwest that would introduce us to the Amy we know today: shambolic, unpredictable, and- when she was on her game- nearly transcendent. One day, she was acoustic and relaxed: the next, electric and visibly nervous. But when she hit the notes, as she did at the Universal showcase( one to which she was, customarily, more than an hour late), the whole room stood rapt. As she growled and purred through scorchers like " You Know I'm No Good" and " Rehab," there was no better place to be than front and center, watching one of the industry's biggest talents living up to her, full, if uncertain, promise." - Leah Greenblatt

Also, Frank is among 5 albums mentioned in "The A List" section

#5 lyricgenius

lyricgenius

To my heart, she carries the key

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,518 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 04:40 AM

I'm definitely going to be hunting that magazine down tomorrow. I really love the description of her SXSW gigs. The videos from that are awesome. [/quote]

[quote]
... when she was on her game- nearly transcendent.

But when she hit the notes...the whole room stood rapt.

As she growled and purred through scorchers like " You Know I'm No Good" and " Rehab," there was no better place to be than front and center, watching one of the industry's biggest talents living up to her, full, if uncertain, promise."
[/quote]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users