#1 lyricgenius

lyricgenius

To my heart, she carries the key

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,518 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 02:53 AM

http://www.usatoday....winehouse_N.htm

Good article. Lot of great quotes. Talks about Grammy chances.

Excerpts:

Were it not for her titanic gifts, Winehouse's slide into YouTube's gallery of imploding celebrities might feel less pathetic. Few pop ingénues have displayed such enormous promise or been met with such breathless accolades.

Frank, the snarky, slurry 2003 U.K. debut that hit the USA in November, revealed the soul siren's stunning ability to mimic Sarah Vaughan and Billie Holiday. But it was Black's brave lyrics and retro-hip R&B that unveiled the breadth of Winehouse's instrument and songwriting skills. After 45 weeks on the Billboard chart, Black has sold 1.5 million copies, according to Nielsen SoundScan. Frank has sold 89,000 copies in nine weeks. She has racked up 1.7 million digital track sales.

"It starts with that amazing, ridiculous, showstopping voice," says Mark Ronson, who co-produced Black with Frank's Salaam Remi. "And she writes songs that come from an honest and painful place. You get that darkness in rock bands like Radiohead, but in modern soul, you get generic lyrics across the board. Amy's lyrics are fresh and modern. Rehab resonates because it could only have been written today. For better or worse, she's bringing back a spirit of rebellion to pop music."

"She's the closest thing to a musical and cultural sensation we have. Whether she wins or loses, she's the story of the Grammys."

Describing Winehouse as a "warm person with a sharp sense of humor and a painfully nonchalant Sudafed demeanor," Ronson declined to discuss her personal crises but expressed faith in her career prospects.

"She changed the direction of modern pop music, and she'll continue to break barriers," he says.

Willman concurs.

"If she emerges from whatever psychological and substance-abuse tangle she is in and gets help from people who help her shine as a person as well as an artist, she could be one of our greats, for years or even decades to come," he says.

When Willman saw her perform an acoustic set at an L.A. radio station, "it was as if all the emotions in the universe suddenly were coming out of her mouth. It was almost like this enormous depth of feeling had nothing to do with her, the tiny figure in ballet slippers and a wife-beater shirt, but that she was somehow channeling it.

"I would never lose confidence in her ability to keep doing that."

#2 Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell

Never miss a night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 03:02 AM

Thanks for posting!

#3 kevd7

kevd7

Soaked in soul he swims in my eyes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 03:10 AM

Great article, thanks! Seems like it almost dismisses Frank though, which I thought was brilliant on many many levels. Why Universal never promoted it here is beyond me.

#4 veronika

veronika

What's inside her never dies

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,086 posts
  • LocationMéxico

Posted 29 January 2008 - 03:14 AM

Thanks Dave, nice article

Why Universal never promoted it here is beyond me.

I wish they would :thinking:

#5 suestev07

suestev07

injured butterfly is so talented, it hurts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 03:16 AM

"It starts with that amazing, ridiculous, showstopping voice," Mark Ronson

and it doesn't end there....

tks Dave.

#6 Guest_blakmamba76_*

Guest_blakmamba76_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2008 - 03:22 AM

I wish she had gone into to rehab earlier, so that we could see her in all her glory for the Grammy's. I don't know if she will be well-adjusted to take on something like the Grammy so soon. I just want her well and at same time, selfishly on stage singing her arse off.

#7 kevd7

kevd7

Soaked in soul he swims in my eyes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 03:28 AM

If the Grammys are to maintain any sort of cred at all Amy had better win. I swear I'll never watch them again if she's overlooked. It's coming up to a year now that B2B has been on Billboard, currently at 36. Nobody has blown us away in 2007 like Amy has. NOBODY!!!!!

#8 Guest_blakmamba76_*

Guest_blakmamba76_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2008 - 03:33 AM

Great article, thanks! Seems like it almost dismisses Frank though, which I thought was brilliant on many many levels. Why Universal never promoted it here is beyond me.

Frank was beyond her years, an 18 yr old talking about real things, I mean what is the world coming to when someone that young understands a few things about life?

But they got their second chance and Frank is taking over, real music lovers that actually listen tothe content are in love with it.

And also I think, the Grammy are a bit more credible than those other stupid wannabe award shows. But if they don't do the right thing, I won't watch again either, I guess that night will be family game night :lol:

#9 suestev07

suestev07

injured butterfly is so talented, it hurts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 03:49 AM

"Amy doesn't have a real hunger for awards (and) doesn't lust after increasingly massive success the way most singers do. That's admirable, but there is always a subconscious impulse for most voters in any field to want to give a prize to somebody who actually wants it."

Come on! Where's the credibility if that's the case!

Edit: didn't they give grammys to eminem when he didn't seem to want them either?

#10 lyricgenius

lyricgenius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,518 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 04:36 AM

I wish she had gone into to rehab earlier, so that we could see her in all her glory for the Grammy's.

I was thinking the same thing.

For the past several months I've been wistfully thinking about what a fully healthy Amy could have been accomplishing. It's kind of a staggering thought when you reflect on what she managed to accomplish despite all the problems.

She really could have had the music world at her feet. She could have done the US tour, toured with the Stones, done the Bond theme, etc. And avoided so much of that tabloid crap.

But you have to be thankful that we didn't lose her, and realize that she's still young and still has the potential for a great future. Just have to take it a day at a time and be patient while she goes through the recovery process. Life is messy and you have to work your way through it as best you can and realize that a detour doesn't necessarily mean you won't make it to your destination.

#11 Guest_blakmamba76_*

Guest_blakmamba76_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2008 - 04:40 AM

How very true. Everthing happens right when it's suppose to, not when we want them to hell, I am living proof! I am glad that she's still with us too. After all we all make detours, don't we?

#12 sarahbol

sarahbol

I died a hundred times.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,736 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 08:12 PM

That was interesting to read, thanks Dave.

"When Willman saw her perform an acoustic set at an L.A. radio station, "it was as if all the emotions in the universe suddenly were coming out of her mouth. It was almost like this enormous depth of feeling had nothing to do with her, the tiny figure in ballet slippers and a wife-beater shirt, but that she was somehow channeling it.

"I would never lose confidence in her ability to keep doing that.""

#13 Guest_blakmamba76_*

Guest_blakmamba76_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2008 - 08:14 PM

Lovely quote...!

#14 Sweetsklet

Sweetsklet

You Know I'm No Good

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 08:42 PM

Thanks a lot for posting! :)

#15 lyricgenius

lyricgenius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,518 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 02:27 AM

I bought 2 copies of USA Today today, with the Amy article.

So I have an extra clipping of the article. I'll offer it to Sarah first, as I know she's an Amy scholar (that's a compliment).

If she's not interested, it's up for grabs.

It's over a full page, with several pictures and a timeline of her career. Also a "highlight" pic at top of the front page.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users