14 replies to this topic

#1 Lainey

Lainey

Just Friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 01:19 PM

If any of you are familiar with the musician Nick Cave (The Birthday Party, Bad Seeds), well there was a short interview with him in the latest Mojo. He's asked a question about women in the media:

Nick Cave: 'You only have to look at certain women in the media today to see how they are pursued. It's fucking sickening'

Interviewer: 'You mean Winehouse, Diana?'

Nick Cave: 'I'm not naming names, but there's some people at the moment - you can see them dying before your eyes. And it's NOT the fucking drugs. They're being destroyed by the murderous tabloid attention'

I thought it was interesting that for once, a musician is coming out and not lecturing Amy about her drug use. Nick Cave himself has had plenty of dark times in his life. Hell, his music is really dark to say the least! He also said 'I love (Amy's) lyrics - they shock even me!' I have a lot of respect for him, he's always come across as a pretty intelligent guy, and I just thought it was an interesting point of view.

I have no idea of what kind of effect being hounded by the tabloids would have on a person, but I imagine it would be pretty difficult to deal with, mentally. It's got to be a very surreal way to live. Amy reads the tabloids, and if she reads the (mostly negative) articles about herself, then what kind of an effect must it have on her?

#2 Guest_blakmamba76_*

Guest_blakmamba76_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2008 - 01:50 PM

I am glad more and more artists are telling the truth about the media. I wish them all strength against these demons! They are vicious to say the least!

#3 Dani624

Dani624

Fever 103

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 02:05 PM

Exactly words hurt being harrassed is straining. Its like highschool times 1000. Tabloids are like that notebook from the movie mean girls. People kill themselves over myspace comments get into fights over them. I couldn't imagine having my photos everywhere with negative captions and articles. It upsets me when people say mean things on my youtube video thats nothing compared to what Amy Britney and so many others go through everytime they leave their house. And if I hear one more motherfucker say that they asked for it by becoming an celeb I'm gonna scream. Celeb life did not use to be like this. So many older actress say that they don't know what they would do if it had been like this when they were at the top of their game. With the internet technology and these super mega ultra telephoto lenses there is no privacy what so ever. No human being should be subjected to this kind of scrutiny. American Idol contestants already have stories written about them and no one has won yet. Its crazy. The media is eating people alive.

#4 frankforever

frankforever

Noob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 02:06 PM

I think if I were in any way known by the general public I'd probably have to migrate to Alaska. God, everyone's fussing over you & treating you like you're unable to emote & judging you from the way you style your hair and every one of your action is on the tabloids & you get dissed by everyone from Natalie Cole to Janet Jackson. I mean, if Janet Jackson think you're unworthy, that's like being singled out by alien who hurls meteors at your home.

I'm a Nick Cave fan, but not enough to go beyond skimming his novel :)

I dont pity Amy though, & I doubt any of those tabloids crap has any effect on her.

#5 Guest_blakmamba76_*

Guest_blakmamba76_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2008 - 02:38 PM

Hence Dave Chappelle buying a farm in Idaho (or Iowa) and jetting to Africa. Iit's fierce under the lights. I just read that a TV presenter killed himself. I remember when the story broke,his girlfriend died and the tabs blasted him like he did it. Poor man, I can't imagine what that feels like. At least he can now rest in peace.

#6 Tara

Tara

This Bird Has Flown...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 03:00 PM

Good for Nick for seeing past the hype, he's a great musician and a nice man. Sometimes I wonder if fame is such a blessing, or was Amy happier when she was just another singer playing the clubs.

#7 Lainey

Lainey

Just Friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 03:03 PM

Sometimes I wonder if fame is such a blessing, or was Amy happier when she was just another singer playing the clubs.

That's what I think too, Tara. That perhaps Amy uses alcohol/ drugs to cope with the immense fame she has, and all the craziness that comes with it.

#8 Mike from NY

Mike from NY

My alcoholic logic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 03:06 PM

I get the feeling Amy would be perfectly happy being an obscure independent act with a small but dedicated fanbase.

#9 kevd7

kevd7

Soaked in soul he swims in my eyes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 03:12 PM

Nick Cave rocks and rules!!! and i agree with you Mike. She is at a high point with B2B and I wish her more and more success, but I see Amy as more the artist rather than the entertainer like Aguilera and beyonce with their arena shows and fifty dancers behind them with birds flying around on the stage.

#10 Lainey

Lainey

Just Friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 03:14 PM

Yep - agree with both of you. Amy is a small jazz club artist - for sure. Arenas just aren't her thing. Although she does seem to quite enjoy festivals, though.

Birds flying around the stage - that's friggin hysterical! :lol:

#11 kevd7

kevd7

Soaked in soul he swims in my eyes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 03:19 PM

Haha, you didn't see that award show a year ago where beyonce had a white dove flying around and ultimately landing on her arm? OMG, we roared. we thought, Is this what it's come to??????????

#12 Lainey

Lainey

Just Friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 03:31 PM

Oh - I have to see if that's on youtube - it sounds priceless!

#13 Moody's Mood

Moody's Mood

You sent me flying

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,118 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 08:17 PM

Oh - I have to see if that's on youtube - it sounds priceless!

It would've been.. if only the bird had shitted on her :lol:

It's a good thing that didn't happen though. I would've died.

#14 Lainey

Lainey

Just Friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 08:35 PM

It would've been.. if only the bird had shitted on her :lol:

:lol!:

#15 Mags

Mags

Love is a fate resigned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,251 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 10:36 AM

I love Nick Cave&& read this interview on Mojo last week, he has a point.

He knows what he's talking about;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users