• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Wino

Wino

Shuffle A Dream

• Founders
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 01:19 PM

OK so I turned the forum offline in the hope that we'd be able to convert either today or tomorrow BUT the Invision Power Board (IPB) team are not working over the weekend due to it being a holiday weekend. So I didn't want to deprive you of the forum until Monday so thought I should probably turn it back online.
Basically it's looking like we will be moving the forum from MyBB software to IPB software. I'm still waiting to find out if the version of MyBB we're running can be converted but so far it's looking very likely. If, however, that falls through then we will change to vBulletin. The only problem with this is that I have NO experience using vBulletin software so would then have to spend some time getting to know the ins-and-outs of it, whereas I know how IPB works because I've hosted forums on it before.
Anyway.... the forum is back, until Monday atleast.
Any questions please just ask.

ps - when we have converted I'll be looking for 'staff' as the 'new' forum will be MUCH better and will require a bigger team. :)

#2 pearljo

pearljo

♪♫♫ vaginal bleeding

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 01:55 PM

If we go to vBulletin, do you know how long the site would be down and how much money we're talking?

#3 Wino

Wino

Shuffle A Dream

• Founders
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 02:07 PM

If we go to IPB (which is the one I'd prefer) then we'll be purchasing the IPS Community Suite, which includes the forum, gallery, blog and support. This costs $249.00. I'll be paying in £ though and don't know how much that converts into.

I haven't really done much research into vBulletin but from what I'm looking at now (https://www.vbulleti...ndex.php?step=1) we'd probably get the Owned License which costs £100 PLUS the Blog which costs £33. There's something called Project Tools which costs another £33 but I haven't done any research into this so whether we'd need that yet I don't know.

With IPB there are always Mods and Skins being made which you can download for FREE and they're very, very good! I don't know much about this for vBulletin. I don't know how easy or hard it is to install Mods and Skins and I don't know if they're free.

So basically I'd much rather we move to IPB for several reasons, the main one being I know how to use IPB and pretty much have all the knowledge I'd need. :)

#4 PabloD

PabloD

We bathe under blue light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 02:38 PM

Oh Fab! This is one hell of a nice community it's great that it's growing and getting better. Thanks babes.

We should keep ourselfs updated on the ins and outs of "Troubled Amy Winehouse" (that's for you Wino! jk) through the official Myspace of this forum or something like that.

#5 Wino

Wino

Shuffle A Dream

• Founders
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 02:43 PM

Haha thanks Pablo. I just love seeing that word TROUBLED infront of her name. Makes me feel so warm and fuzzy inside.

:(

The forum shouldn't be down for too long when we do convert. I actually have no idea how long it'll take but I will pre-warn you and send an email once it starts.
It'll all be worth it in the end!! GAH I'm so excited!

If anyone has experience with vB and IPB could you please share it with me as I can't compare the 2 as I've only ever used one of them. Cheers.

#6 pearljo

pearljo

♪♫♫ vaginal bleeding

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 03:37 PM

I guess the paypal link is missing. How do you find this site on going direct to paypal? I need to know so I can tell Dave to send you a ton of money. :)

#7 Wino

Wino

Shuffle A Dream

• Founders
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 03:40 PM

Haha if people want to donate towards the new software then just login to Paypal, click on the Send Money tab and enter the forum's email address admin@amywinehouseforum.co.uk.
I had to deactivate all the plugins (which included the Paypal link) because they were causing too many errors - another reason I'd like to move the forum.

#8 Amy-Fan2

Amy-Fan2

You know i'm no good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 06:30 PM

Once you have updated the forum to IPB do we need to register again ... or are the accounts imported into the new software?

#9 Wino

Wino

Shuffle A Dream

• Founders
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 06:35 PM

everything is imported. this is why i need to wait and see if IPB and vBulletin support converting from MyBB to their software.
im really swaying between IPB and vB. i just dont know which one to go for! ive used demo's for both but cant really decide anything from the demos cos i actually need to be able to have a play around with skins etc.
if ANYONE has experience with vB and/or IPB please please let me know what you think. vB users especially.
:)

#10 Little Legs

Little Legs

Kleine Beentjes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,250 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 08:43 PM

is it just me that feels a little sad about moving???
:boohoo:
i know its better, but i cant help but feel sad...........but i know when we move i'll love it lol

#11 Mags

Mags

Love is a fate resigned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,251 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 09:22 AM

oh it will be fine z!!

thank you wino, you're a star!!:D

#12 Wino

Wino

Shuffle A Dream

• Founders
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 09:24 AM

moving to vBulletin at some point today! eek! i hope it all goes smoothly...
i don't know what time it's happening but when the forum goes offline, we'll know.

#13 Little Legs

Little Legs

Kleine Beentjes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,250 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 09:28 AM

ooohhhhhh exciting! :)
lol, id normally moan bout the forum being offline, but im out all day and get to come home to a new forum!!!!!!!!! :D

#14 busa54

busa54

A M Y

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 09:07 AM

Im glad everything seems to work out so well! :)
No no no.

#15 ILLEGALL

ILLEGALL

ergo sum of illuminati

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 01:35 PM

took me a while to get here and the new forum scares me
i dont know where nothing is its all new *eep*
but change is always good
well done wino