69 replies to this topic

#61 kevd7

kevd7

Soaked in soul he swims in my eyes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 01:57 AM

i really don't care which genre she's tapping into as long as she's recording with plans for a release soooooooon

#62 antceleb12

antceleb12

And I'm singing this song for you...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:45 AM

http://www.aceshowbi...w/00023056.html

I'd rather believe this article.
Posted Image

"Amy is amazing. It's as if Bille Holiday and Dianh Washington had a baby and it was raised by Janice Joplin." - jazzblowin on youtube

#63 Mama_Haze

Mama_Haze

Hazy Lady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 11:00 AM

*Loves reggae*

I love what they did with the arrangement of 'Cupid'; it could be more like that....

#64 Guest_simontelo_*

Guest_simontelo_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2009 - 12:10 PM

*Loves reggae*

I love what they did with the arrangement of 'Cupid'; it could be more like that....

i looooove cupid song

#65 antceleb12

antceleb12

And I'm singing this song for you...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 05:11 PM

Actually, Amy's arrangement is not new. Her version is a cover of Johny Nash's version - - which in turn was a cover of Sam Cooke. :)
Posted Image

"Amy is amazing. It's as if Bille Holiday and Dianh Washington had a baby and it was raised by Janice Joplin." - jazzblowin on youtube

#66 Mama_Haze

Mama_Haze

Hazy Lady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 05:39 PM

Ah, thanks; didn't know that :)

#67 jcable06

jcable06

Marilyn Monroe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 07:10 PM

wheres that single release teaser? :( I hope miss Amy gives us a preview of whats to come soon :)
Posted Image
James Dean ....

#68 tikipeacock

tikipeacock

My destructive side has grown a mile wide

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 08:06 PM

I love reggae music. There is something so soothing and primal about it. It touches me like no other genre. It is beautiful music, yet at the same time it is rebel music. I can't explain it. I got into reggae through listening to a lot of punk/oi stuff as a kid. It was probably mostly the Clash that made me want to explore and discover more about reggae after listening to their interpretations ("Guns of Brixton", Armagiddeon Time" stuff from Sandanista. Also, I loved their covers of Junior Murvin's "Police and Theives" and Toots and the Maytals "Pressure Drop", but when I heard the original versions, I was absolutley blown away. That's probably where it started for me.

There is some really great dark reggae out there. The songs Crol and Alan posted of Dawn Penn and John Holt are excellent examples. Here's a few more that I really enjoy:

Desmond Dekker "Fu Man Chu"

Gregory Isaacs "Black a Kill Black"

There is some really dark dub reggae, too. I love dub because it is so atmospheric. Some of the darker stuff is absolutley haunting. Like this:

Wayne Jarrett "Satta Dread"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIjOU3rC7uY

She should get Sly Dunbar and Robbie Shakespeare for the recordings. Then that darkness is firmly rooted. Harrowing... but with roots reggae security for balance.

Love this idea, btw! Sly and Robbie with Amy. I'm getting chills thinking about it! :)
Posted Image

"...All the birds sing words and the flowers croon in the tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki tiki room."

#69 Alan48

Alan48

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,607 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 08:52 PM

Actually, Amy's arrangement is not new. Her version is a cover of Johny Nash's version - - which in turn was a cover of Sam Cooke. :)

Beautiful example of Johnny Nash's songwriting - I Can See Clearly Now

#70 kevd7

kevd7

Soaked in soul he swims in my eyes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 12:02 AM

reggae, the clash, ub40...with chrissie hynde...all of it. i can see clearly now has always been one of my favorite songs. they played it to death on the radio and in the clubs back in the seventies and i never got tired of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users