10 replies to this topic

#1 lyricgenius

lyricgenius

To my heart, she carries the key

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,518 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 01:41 AM

The Back To Black singer also revealed the name Lioness was inspired by another family member. It comes from a lioness pendant given to her by her beloved nan Cynthia, who died a few years ago.

Amy said: "My nan was like my best friend. She was the sweetest, strongest, most amazing person I've ever met and when I was thinking of what to call the label I picked up the necklace and knew straight away that I'd call it Lioness, in honour of Cynthia."

Article is mainly about Dionne's new album.

http://www.thesun.co...ness-label.html
Posted Image
"Flawed yet fabulous, tormented yet towering"

#2 shaylaxtx

shaylaxtx

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 08:20 AM

that girl's voice is incredible! holy shit. i can't believe im saying this...but from that video her voice is on par with amy's and she's only 13!

#3 PabloD

PabloD

We bathe under blue light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 09:23 AM

I'm really impressed! She's sounding pretty much like a mini-Amy. She clearly has taken style classes from her. She sounds wicked and the song choices are bloody cool. As I said it's a bit of a mini-Winehouse album which is super cool.

I'm also VERY glad that the video portrays her as a girl her age, opposite of a mini tart or crap like that.

She's really cool! gonna follow her on Twitter now.
Posted Image

#4 Merge

Merge

Once A Tickle, Now A Rash...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 10:26 PM

WOW! That is bloody awesome, she has such an Amy feel to her... the playing pool, her look when she walked down that street reminded me a bit of Amy in the Fuck Me Pumps video :-) absolutely amazing voice, can't BELIEVE someone that young can sing that well - am excited to hear the album, will definitely buy it!
She's soooo pretty as well, got a real presence about her... she even SLIGHTLY looks like Ms Winehouse - hope she doesn't go down the same road as Amy though
Autour de moi
Je ne vois pas
Qui sont les anges
Surement pas moi
Encore une fois
Je suis cassee
Encore une fois
Je n\'y crois pas

#5 WinehouseFAN08

WinehouseFAN08

You Got To Call The Green Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 10:37 PM

OHH MYY GODDD.. SHE HAS COME ON SO MUCH FROM THAT YOUTUBE ALICIA KEYS VIDEO.. :o :o
AMAZING how well she is singing for her age.. omg :o

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tonight the light of love is in your eyes.. Will you love me tomorrow?

&&WithEverydayThatPasses.. IMissYouALittleBitMore..10/3/09..ILoveYouLudo

WeWillBeTogetherAgainSoon

#6 crol

crol

i'm not ashamed, but the guilt will kill you

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 11:16 PM

raye cosbert just said on twitter that zalon and heshima are signed up, and juliette is soon to follow! i guess next she'll be resurrecting tyler's career....

#7 crol

crol

i'm not ashamed, but the guilt will kill you

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 11:19 PM

having said that, just found a couple of vids of juliette singing on youtube, quite recent methinks. she's great!
[vbtube]B2omuqwKp9w[/vbtube]
[vbtube]2u2kt9lFOHA[/vbtube]

#8 Sweetsklet

Sweetsklet

You Know I'm No Good

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 04:48 PM

raye cosbert just said on twitter that zalon and heshima are signed up, and juliette is soon to follow! i guess next she'll be resurrecting tyler's career....

^ Great line up for her record label! Amy knows exactly who has talent and who doesn't. I trust her on this one!

I'm really looking foward to Dionne's first album. I checked out the tracks that are posted on the label site and she is really great! I wonder how much of a success her first album will be since it's "only" covers but I'm sure it will sell! I'm really looking foward to Dionne's first written songs. I wonder what she would write about. She's sooo young!

Will Amy be featured on her album? I read about it before but I'm not sure if it was just a rumour!? Wasn't she supposed to be on the first single?
Since Dionne's album will drop in october she should release her first single pretty soon!
"FREEDOM IS JUST ANOTHER WORD FOR NOTHING LEFT TO LOSE"
Janis Joplin

Posted Image

#9 Merge

Merge

Once A Tickle, Now A Rash...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 09:47 PM

having said that, just found a couple of vids of juliette singing on youtube, quite recent methinks. she's great!

OMG! I was quite drunk, watched Wino live in London and when she said "you gotta listen to the music of Juliette Ashby, my best friend... I'm serious, I'm serious" (or words to that effect) I Googled her and came across her site, paid my £8 to download her songs and she's really good!
Next person on the Lioness label I hope, has she released anything or is she gigging atm?
Autour de moi
Je ne vois pas
Qui sont les anges
Surement pas moi
Encore une fois
Je suis cassee
Encore une fois
Je n\'y crois pas

#10 Lainey

Lainey

Just Friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 04:22 PM

Nice BBC feature, with interview with Darcus, regarding Lioness Records.

http://news.bbc.co.u...ent/8295613.stm

The inside story of Amy's new label

By Ian Youngs
Music reporter, BBC News

Friday, 9 October 2009 Posted Image

Amy Winehouse has made her 13-year-old goddaughter the first signing to her new record label. With her backing singers and a schoolfriend set to follow, will it just be a vanity venture?

Posted Image

Amy Winehouse sings backing vocals on Dionne Bromfield's first single

Winehouse may not have released any new material since the 10 million-selling Back To Black three years ago, but she is making herself heard on the music scene again after setting up Lioness Records. Her first release is the debut album by Dionne Bromfield, who sounds like a sweeter, more youthful Winehouse with a collection of 1960s soul and girl group covers.

One of Winehouse's long-time backing singers Zalon Thompson is also expected to join the label after recording a solo album with Back To Black co-producer Mark Ronson. Winehouse's manager Raye Cosbert recently said Zalon's brother and fellow backing vocalist - and former X Factor hopeful - Heshima would follow.

He has also mentioned the name Juliette, likely referring to Winehouse's close friend Juliette Ashby, who was the other half of rap duo Sweet 'n' Sour with Winehouse when they were 10 years old.

Winehouse wanted to set up a label to "bring through the talent around her", according to Darcus Beese, co-president of Island Records, who signed the singer in 2003.

Lioness is an imprint of Island, with Mr Beese helping to run the label with the singer and her manager. "I didn't want it to be just a vanity project for her," he says. "It had to follow that the talent was just as inspiring and as exciting as she is." Referring to Winehouse's suggestion to sign her goddaughter, Mr Beese says: "I could have been as cynical as the next person.

"But when I heard the voice and the potential talent, I knew that we were doing the deal for all the right reasons, and it wasn't the fact that she was Amy's goddaughter." Bromfield has "got much more of a pop ear than Amy did" when she was first signed, Mr Beese adds. "But that's because of her youthfulness."

Bromfield's mother is a friend of the Winehouse family and the two singers now claim to be as close as sisters. The 13-year-old describes shopping trips, getting nails done and watching Comedy Central with Winehouse as if they were two normal girls. But when the Grammy winner heard her young friend's potential, she was able to pay for singing lessons, teach her guitar and put her into the recording studio to record demos with her band.

Posted ImagePosted Image She has a mother who brought Dionne up very well... Amy doesn't have the same duties as her mother Posted Image

Darcus Beese
Island Records

Bromfield recalls: "Eventually she said, 'Dionne you're on my label,' and I said OK! I wasn't going to say no." The youngster says she does not mind comparisons with her mentor. "A lot of people have said you sound like Amy, and to me that's a compliment. I try to be myself but when you've grown up with Amy and sing together, you both click and sound the same."

But some people will feel unease at the thought of a 13-year-old girl being guided so closely by the volatile Winehouse. "She has a mother who brought Dionne up very well," Mr Beese responds. "She's a well brought up intelligent young girl. Amy doesn't have the same duties as her mother.
"Guiding her career there's a manager, there's the label, which is me, and there's Amy. There's a team of people guiding Dionne."

Posted ImagePosted Image They're very manipulative, the papers - Amy's just loving, she's fun Posted Image

Dionne Bromfield

Winehouse does not deserve her bad reputation, Bromfield insists. "What people read in the newspapers - when you know Amy how I do - that's not what Amy's like. "They're very manipulative, the papers. Amy's just loving. She's fun. She's not what you hear about in the newspapers."

Winehouse's next album will come out on Lioness and she may also sign artists from outside her clique, if they fit in with her "vision".

Big stars setting up their own labels is nothing new. The Beatles had Apple, Sir Elton John had Rocket, Prince had Paisley Park, U2 had Mother and Frank Zappa had Barking Pumpkin. Madonna's Maverick was one of the biggest successes, signing Alanis Morrissette and The Deftones.
Frank Sinatra founded Reprise to release records by his Rat Pack pals and Led Zeppelin's Swan Song signed chart-topping hard rockers Bad Company. And in hip-hop, you're nobody unless you have a label. But most artists' labels have struggled to survive once the novelty has worn off.

Noel Gallagher's Sour Mash failed to make an impact with indie band Proud Mary, while George Michael's Aegean faded fast after he asked new bands to send demos over the internet in 1997 and "revolutionise the entertainment business" in the process. Mariah Carey's Crave label lasted less than a year, while Paula Abdul's Captive released her own material plus The Adventures of MC Skat Kat and the Stray Mob, featuring the cartoon sidekick from her Opposites Attract video.

"A lot of artists started up labels that never even happened or put out a record," Mr Beese admits. But Lioness, he insists, will be more than an ego-stroking gesture. "It's nothing else than a label for talent," he says. "Whether we're sitting here in a year's time breaking open a bottle of champagne or licking our wounds I don't know, but I know no-one could ever tell us it was never about the talent."

I didn't know for sure if that was Amy on backing vocals, but I guess it's true. And Amy is indeed a fan of Comedy Central - she rocks!

Edited by Lainey, 09 October 2009 - 04:26 PM.

"I've got hair like them"

#11 Iulian

Iulian

against, not cause I believe it. just fun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 04:29 PM

"It's nothing else than a label for talent,"

I liked that.

Lainey, thanks for the info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic