6 replies to this topic

#1 ashlee

ashlee

you're so thick and my patience's thin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 03:56 PM

Amy's single Rehab was considered the song that defined the decade!

1. Rehab (2006)
Amy Winehouse
There was a tragic defiance to Winehouse’s career-making hit, bringing together some of the defining elements of the decade in one monster single. The sound is unashamedly retro, a bluesy shouter lent a modern edge by hip hop rhythms and bold sentiments. Winehouse has an authentic soul voice and vivid character but her fame owes as much to her public disintegration as her music. In the vacuum left by Top Of The Pops, the tabloidization of pop became the real mass market. Stars are no longer revered so much as cut down to size. That it would all end in tears was sadly predictable but self destruction has never sounded so uplifting.

http://www.telegraph...-Noughties.html
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
five story fire as you came

#2 Iulian

Iulian

against, not cause I believe it. just fun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 04:18 PM

Hooray for Amy! I think that the song deserved the 1st place.

Thanks for the info!

edit: She's also on 28 for Valerie.

Edited by Iulian, 01 October 2009 - 04:21 PM.

#3 kittengirl1000

kittengirl1000

Never miss a night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 04:27 PM

Glad to see two of Amy's songs on the list.

#4 lyricgenius

lyricgenius

To my heart, she carries the key

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,518 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 08:30 PM

The thing that gets me about Rehab is that she basically just wrote it as a lark. She was talking to Ronson about her rehab experience and she mentioned that she had said "no, no, no", and Ronson said, hey, that would make a great hook for a song. So she went and wrote the song and it was a monster hit and just resonated with the culture. And it was all very true too. That's really a magical talent when you think about it. Makes you wonder what more she could accomplish if she can get her act together. And it shows how a great collaboration can take things to an even higher level.
Posted Image
"Flawed yet fabulous, tormented yet towering"

#5 erickonasis

erickonasis

Back 2 Black >

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 08:45 PM

Rehab is a great song but definitely not her best
Posted Image

#6 Winehousedrunk

Winehousedrunk

The sky above, a blaze that only lovers see..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 11:18 PM

She keeps scoring those points, and now again, with her "signature song", which is wonderful. Proof that she still has a lot of credit with the public, which is also wonderful. But like Erickonasis, for me it's not her best song, because for me that is Tears Dry On Their Own. Or maybe Back 2 Black. It is always more than one, when I start thinking about it. And along those lines it is an exciting thought that we are likely to hear a new batch before long. Please, God, grant us more undiluted Amy Winehouse.
Amy Winehouse died, and she's taken a part of my soul with her. May that part be the love that I felt for her, and may the love that I still feel for her be the undying part of us both.

#7 Merge

Merge

Once A Tickle, Now A Rash...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:18 AM

No, it's not her best, it's her most famous.
Why? Because it's catchy, because it seemed to come out at the right kind of time; celebs were going to rehab, driving under the influence, Amy's personal life seemed to be spiralling... tbh I'd say Back To Black or Tears really, but like I say it's a popular, most memorable song off that album
Autour de moi
Je ne vois pas
Qui sont les anges
Surement pas moi
Encore une fois
Je suis cassee
Encore une fois
Je n\'y crois pas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users