• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 11:27 PM

http://www.dailymail...omes-clean.html

By Daphne Barak
Last updated at 10:00 PM on 06th February 2010

Part One:

One of the greatest and certainly most original talents to emerge in the 21st Century, Amy Winehouse fascinates us all. Everyone loves to read about Amy. Her dissolute lifestyle, her turbulent on-again, off-again relationship with Blake Fielder-Civil, and her erratic performances both on and off stage make headlines round the world.

As a journalist, film-maker and author, I have spent months with her father Mitch, his second wife Jane, Amy’s mother Janis and with Amy herself in London, Switzerland and St Lucia for my book Saving Amy – which is published on Thursday – and an accompanying documentary. My aim was to show the love, fear and powerlessness that families experience as they watch the lives of loved ones spiral out of control. The one constant is the love that Mitch and Janis have, and often express, for Amy. But is that love healthy? How much of her addiction is fuelled by something in her past? How much stems from the relationship that Amy has with Mitch, and the other women in his life? Is it possible that families sometimes fuel the addictions of their loved ones? And what can be done to break the cycle?

For me, one question stands out: just what happened to Amy Winehouse in the past to make her pursue the path which she is following? In November 2008, I meet Mitch at Les Ambassadeurs, a private members’ club in Mayfair. As we talk, his mobile suddenly rings and his face lights up. ‘It’s Amy!’ he exclaims before chatting animatedly with his daughter.

Mitch is obviously pleased, but for the rest of our meeting, I notice he periodically glances at his phone, almost willing it to ring again. When I mention his anxiety, he admits: ‘I worry when I get a phone call because I don’t know what bad news I may get. But I’m just as worried when I don’t hear because I don’t know what might have happened.’ This love and fear for Amy is a recurring theme throughout my many conversations with the Winehouse family. But I can’t help wondering how much of her addiction is rooted in her childhood, in her parents’ divorce and in the way she is treated by her parents now – as a naughty child, rather than an adult.

During my time with the Winehouses I’m struck by the different approaches that Mitch and Janis take to their daughter. Janis is a trained pharmacist who has been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis.
Although Mitch states that he can’t ‘lock Amy up’ he is always keeping an eye on her. Her bodyguards are constantly reporting back to him on Amy’s whereabouts and he seems to devote all of his time to trying to save his daughter from her addictions. Janis’s fatalistic view and her almost cold acceptance that only Amy can help herself is the opposite of Mitch’s behaviour. Mitch seems to have little real understanding of the difficult dynamic within his family, as I witnessed first hand at a party I threw for him in late December 2008, again at Les Ambassadeurs. Flanked by his beautifully turned-out first and second wives, he told me: ‘Somehow I managed to find this woman [gesturing to Janis] first of all, and this lovely lady [Jane] after that. They’re not so lucky. I’m the lucky one and this is what it’s all about. OK, these women are just fantastic. They are strong women, Janis and Jane. I love them both – only Jane just a little bit more. So, that’s the way that it goes.’

Mitch tells me his relationship with his ex-wife is still warm. ‘We get on great. What is even nicer is that Janis and my wife, Jane, get on very well. My wife is a nice person. My ex-wife is a nice person and I like to think that I am a nice person.’ But Janis says that one of the hardest things she had to face when Amy was hospitalised with a serious lung infection in November 2008 was the fact that Jane was sitting on the other side of her daughter’s bed.

And despite all his protestations of happy families, there is no doubt that the pivotal event in the life of the Winehouse family was Mitch and Janis’s separation in 1992, when Amy was just nine years old and her brother Alex, 12. Janis recalls that Amy missed Mitch not being around – he was a travelling salesman and Jane was his long-term secretary – and that this might be why there is a lot of anger in her songs. Indeed, Mitch’s treatment of Janis and his affair with Jane is certainly something Amy deals with in her song What Is It About Men.

If, as Mitch insists, the family was all kisses and cuddles before he walked out on his wife and children, the subsequent divorce must have been even more painful for those he left behind.
He tells me: ‘I have looked back and thought how could we have done things differently. Maybe if I had stayed with Amy’s mum – I was not unhappy with her but I wanted to be with Jane. What would that have done to me? Maybe it would have made the situation worse. ‘Maybe if I had been firmer with Amy. Maybe I was too firm. We did the best that we could in our own limited way. We encouraged our children, we didn’t bully them and we didn’t hit them . . . maybe we could have done better, I don’t know.’

But Janis denies that the divorce had an effect on her daughter’s life. ‘No, no, no,’ she tells me. ‘It was life’s experience – and that’s it. We go through life and we experience it in our own way.’ However, it was clear by the time Amy was 14 that she was starting to act up in earnest. ‘She began to stay out all night,’ says Mitch. ‘I had to go and find her and I was convinced that she was dead. That is the way that my mind works, unfortunately. ‘I would be driving through the streets of North London looking for her, knocking on people’s doors . . . completely irrational, but that’s the way you are where your children are concerned.’

I ask him if he thought Amy did it on purpose. ‘It’s possible, but I don’t think so. I don’t think Amy has ever thought through the consequences of her actions. She has never taken responsibility for her actions. I don’t think she was any different to how she is now.’ I comment that anorexia sufferers often don’t want to be treated as women; they want to be treated like little children. ‘I am not a psychiatrist,’ he says. ‘But I would say that would be fairly accurate. She has found it difficult doing what she has done for so many reasons and maybe deep inside her mind she would prefer it to be as it was. A lot less complicated, like when she was 14 years old.’ I know many people believe Mitch is capitalising on his daughter’s fame and enjoying a luxurious lifestyle at her expense. While I do believe that Mitch really cares about Amy and would do anything to help her, I think that the money is a real issue. Mitch brings up Amy’s finances in our interviews and it does seem to be an important topic for him.

He says: ‘The thing Amy loves more than anything else is to perform live. But at her worst, she was taking ridiculous decisions. She was about to board the plane for one concert, when she turned around and walked off. That cost her £80,000 in lost fees. There was a missed performance later in Paris that cost her maybe £100,000. I tried to sit down and explain to her what this was going to cost her and she didn’t care.

‘At that early stage in her career, that could make or break her. I remember thinking to myself, “My daughter is going to be a superstar with absolutely no money.” Although we don’t care about money per se, you wouldn’t want to be without it.’ When I first met Mitch and we began this project together, he was not in full control of Amy’s money. However, when Amy was in hospital in November 2008, the step was taken to put Mitch and Janis in control. I don’t doubt that he had good intentions and, at that point, I thought it was a good idea, as it would help to stop Amy spending her money on drugs.

Edited by Lainey, 06 February 2010 - 11:34 PM.

"I've got hair like them"

#2 Lainey

Lainey

Just Friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 11:28 PM

Part Two:

Mitch is adamant that Amy is now free of drugs and has overcome her addiction, but if this is the case why does he still feel the need to control his daughter in this way? If Amy is healthy and clean, then it doesn’t make sense for her parents to still be in charge of her money. I ask Mitch if he and Amy are close. ‘VERY close,’ he answers. It strikes me that Mitch is in constant denial about Amy. Maybe this is because he loves her and he really wants to grab on to any glimmer of hope that Amy is OK. It strikes me that, while on paper Amy should have some really good female role models within her family, in reality everything seems to be about her and Mitch.

It is clear to me that Amy, rather than either of Mitch’s two wives, has first call on her father. Jane is supposed to be first in his life, but that does not happen because Amy needs him constantly. That, in a way, could be Amy’s revenge. That and the fact that Mitch has little choice but to maintain his close relationship with Janis – because of Amy’s behaviour. Mitch often complains that the situation tears him into pieces, but I can’t help feeling that he created it and that it works in a way because it enables him to have full control.

‘We have all got a very strong sense of family,’ Mitch says.‘Amy’s sense of family is even stronger, which is a kind of contradiction and one of the “weapons” I’ve used. ‘If I don’t see her often, very very quickly she will say to Raye, her manager, “Where’s my dad? Is my dad OK? I haven’t spoken to my mum.” ‘I don’t know if it does her any good, because I don’t want her to think because I’ll sit there and we’ll have a kiss and cuddle and have a cup of tea that I am in any way empowering her to carry on doing what’s she’s doing.’

Last spring, I went to visit Amy and her father in St Lucia, where she was on an extended holiday. Amy is excited, but Mitch has texted me in advance to tell me that while Amy looks healthier, she is drinking a lot and he is struggling to cope. Over dinner, her behaviour is erratic. She disappears to smoke, and – her father suspects – drink. She barely touches her food and I wonder if her anorexia has returned. Less than half an hour later, Mitch is upset again when Amy is rude to a guest. She finally walks away like a little girl sent to the corner. ‘I need to go now,’ she murmurs. ‘My daddy wants me to go. I have been a bad girl. I drunk too much.’

I throw a barbecue to cheer him up. I have noticed that Amy can’t really handle sit-down meals. I discuss it with her, but when I run into her again a couple of hours later, she is hostile and quite drunk. She mumbles that she and her band are far too busy to attend. She will probably have to record all night, she says, although judging by her current behaviour, she’s not really in a fit enough state to record anything. The musicians and bodyguards seem quite used to her sudden change in mood.

We had been scheduled to film. But Amy says we can’t. I tell Mitch that he doesn’t treat her like a 26-year-old woman, but like a five to six-year-old child. Mitch, looking fit to explode, rushes off and comes back half an hour later, telling me that Amy is expecting us in the studio. When the music starts, Mitch wells up. The song is Daddy’s Home. Amy is sitting at the drums, obviously drunk, but trying to play along. She motions to Mitch, and gives up her seat to him. When he starts playing, Amy picks up the guitar and plays along. Then she runs up and kisses him full on the lips.

She is trying so much to please him and she is so drunk. All I can think is, ‘Why?’ She starts crying again and through her tears says, ‘Daph, I did show them how good I am five years ago.’ I hug her closely because this is the moment of truth. Amy doesn’t think she can repeat her big successes. And the insecurity is something she cannot talk about with those very people who should be able to help her. It is heartbreaking.

Later that night Mitch says: ‘Daphne, I need you to do a favour for me. I need you to leave with me tomorrow.’ I tell him it’s too late and ask why. Mitch repeats: ‘I am afraid to leave you here alone ...my daughter...you know...it is not about the drugs and it isn’t about Blake or all the alcohol that she drinks. My daughter is very sick. She has a psychiatric problem...she needs to go for a very long treatment. ‘I am scared to leave you here because she confuses you with me and I think that because of her problems with me she could become violent with you.’ We end up filming outside my villa. Mitch murmurs: ‘Maybe I am part of the problem.’

Finally, he has acknowledged that his own controlling nature might be contributing to Amy’s troubles. ‘I tend sometimes to make a situation worse than it is,’ he adds. He tries to explain by imagining a situation where Amy meets a stranger. He says: ‘In my mind, Amy is not talking to a nice woman on the beach, she is talking to a potential drug dealer. She is not – but unfortunately that is how my mind has been working.

'So what I have got to do is try to retrain my mind so that when I see her talking to a perfectly normal person on the beach, that is fine, I don’t need to intervene. Why shouldn’t she be saying anything other than pleasantries? Sometimes I think I make the situation worse, unquestionably.’
It is clearly difficult for Mitch not to treat his beloved daughter like the child he thinks she is. I ask him whether he thinks she will continue with her recovery. ‘We’re all in recovery,’ he answers.
This begs the question: Recovery from what?

* Saving Amy, by Daphne Barak, is published on Thursday by New Holland at £9.99. To order your copy for the special price of £8.99 call the Review Bookstore on 0845 155 0713. Watch exclusive footage of Amy on St Lucia at
http://daphnebarak.h...eoClipKiss.html.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This made me very sad:

Mitch is upset again when Amy is rude to a guest. She finally walks away like a little girl sent to the corner. ‘I need to go now,’ she murmurs. ‘My daddy wants me to go. I have been a bad girl. I drunk too much.’

Edited by Lainey, 06 February 2010 - 11:42 PM.

#3 sarahbol

sarahbol

I died a hundred times.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,736 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 10:35 AM

So the situation and Mitch's relationship with Amy is exactly how I thought it was... *sigh*
And I go back to... I go back to us.

Bruised, battered and desparate for a fag she may be, but Amy is our 21st Century Piaf: flawed yet fabulous, tormented yet towering. Think of her this way and hope that the still remarkably young woman under the eyeliner thinks that way too. - Jude Rogers, The Word

#4 Mama_Haze

Mama_Haze

Hazy Lady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 01:51 PM

That Barack woman is a flea.

#5 Alan48

Alan48

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,607 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 02:35 PM

^ I think the Winehouses will regret agreeing to her project when they read the book. I bet shit hits the fan!

#6 Mama_Haze

Mama_Haze

Hazy Lady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 02:57 PM

So, when is the docu out? Do we know? Is it cinema first?

Wonder how much dirty dollar that will earn her.

#7 Alan48

Alan48

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,607 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 03:23 PM

^good ones (which this probably isn't) usually premiere at film festivals to try to get distributors for cinematic release, and then it can take a year. I'd bet it comes out on TV & DVD.
If she could honestly tell the true story, it would be great! But I don't think she understands honesty.

#8 BIGHAIRBARNET

BIGHAIRBARNET

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 12:25 AM

MmMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..
I think as time as gone bye.
I Dont think many people will be buying the Book TBH...
And can not see this being on Cinema At All Know
unless its a film festival documentary for all the luvvies to go and watch!!
I Think Amys Real fans will just wait ,
wait,................. Patiently AS We have Lol
But the Real test will be in The album when it all comes together,
As been reported Amy is apparently off to caribean to finish touch the Album
So HOPEFULLY We might just get
in my prediction a New Track to hear round about July August Fingers crossed

#9 Moody's Mood

Moody's Mood

You sent me flying

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,118 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 04:51 PM

This woman is pissing me off! Who the fuck does she think she is?! Dr. friggin Phil?!
What is your greatest fear?
Amy: "Dying old or never meeting Tony Bennett; if I never get to meet him, I might as well be dead."

#10 Lainey

Lainey

Just Friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 11:27 PM

Alan, as you predicted, the shit is hitting the fan!

Mitch's tweets:

@Linn_SayItPR There is no Barak docum. i stopped it. Thats why she has this unauthorised book.
20 minutes ago from web in reply to Linn_SayItPR

@Linn_SayItPR I read baraks piece. I cant comment at moment. Legal issues.
37 minutes ago from web in reply to Linn_SayItPR

Edited by Lainey, 08 February 2010 - 11:29 PM.

#11 Rockesquirrel

Rockesquirrel

I'm cuddly, bitch! Deal with it!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 01:04 PM

Sniff! Sniff! I thought I smelled crap around here! This trip could not have occurred at a better time!
In this life, we each create our own heaven and hell. (Conversation overhead on the bus)

- 8-/

#12 Moody's Mood

Moody's Mood

You sent me flying

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,118 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 02:37 PM

Shocking that a grown man can be so naive..
Amy: "Dying old or never meeting Tony Bennett; if I never get to meet him, I might as well be dead."

#13 Rockesquirrel

Rockesquirrel

I'm cuddly, bitch! Deal with it!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 03:28 PM

Yeah, but then again, Amy is attracting a lot of people who don't always have her best interest at heart. Such is the pitfalls of fame and a chaotic life!
In this life, we each create our own heaven and hell. (Conversation overhead on the bus)

- 8-/

#14 Moody's Mood

Moody's Mood

You sent me flying

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,118 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 03:54 PM

True, but still.. what did he think she was going to do with all the info she gathered? He should know better than this.

#15 Alan48

Alan48

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,607 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 05:37 PM

Shocking that a grown man can be so naive..

Sad to see it blow up in his face! He was desperate and grasping for straws, and along came a snake oil saleswoman. Those who are trusting by nature suffer endless disappointments, while those who are more cynical miss endless opportunities.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users