18 replies to this topic

#16 lolainas

lolainas

Never Clip My Wings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 06:41 PM

Well, my story isn't anything of the other world.. but the first time i had heard Amy was in 2004 when i had 9 or 10 years i think. I remember that on Christmas we always went to visit our family (because they all live in another city) and i was the little one of my cousins.
One day my mother sent me to my uncle's home to be with my big cousin who was in a teenager period(so stupid yeah), but for surprise he put one song in youtube. One song of the famous beatle: All my loving and yes, in related videos, was Amy's cover after so much insist, he put the video for me because that woman had called my attention. Since that moment i listened the song I started to ask my cousin to listen to more songs of that woman "who sang in english". He threw me out of his room because he prefer to listen his music... and when i back home after christmas holidays I take my mum's laptop and started to search more songs of she. Since that time had rained so much and my musical tastes had changed so much times, but the one who i always listened to was Amy, no matter which type of music liked to my in that moment, Amy was always untouchable for me.
xoxo.

.why dont you come on over, Valerie?

"It's not important to me to make other people at ease. I am difficult, but that's because I don’t really give a fuck."

#17 tunisianswife

tunisianswife

Susan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 12:36 AM

one thing I'd like to comment on that has been mentioned throughout this thread:

it's amazing just what impact she had in exposing young people to different musical styles that they may not have ever really noticed, or liked. she opened minds and broadened peoples' musical tastes.

for me, this was refreshing because as I am older and my first love is the jazz standards, i always worried that there just wouldn't be any attention paid in the future...that it would somehow become 'lost'. Amy's influences have changed that. I'm sure some of the younger set may never have heard of Billie holiday, Dinah Washington, the Sharelles, etc. before Amy.

she had no idea, just no idea just what she gave the music world.

I've so enjoyed reading these stories; they surely have made me smile as I read along.
:'-(She was the DiVinci of my music world!

#18 iwakeupalone

iwakeupalone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 01:13 AM

I don't remember the first time I heard her music... my mum bought Back to Black in early 2007 I think and I remember her playing that in the car one evening. That’s probably my earliest memory of hearing her music. I remember Rehab was playing and my dad was surprised when I told him she was a british white girl. I also remember watching the video to Back to Black one morning before school and my dad said that she had a good voice. To be honest, I wasn’t interested at that point. I was about 14 at the time and all I seemed to listen to was Blink-182.
It wasn’t until I saw her performance at the Brits in 2008 that I fell in love with her. I remember sitting on the couch on my own watching it – my dad was in the kitchen and I was blown away. It was just so powerful. It touched me in ways I never knew a song/performance could... after that I checked out Back to Black and gradually became obsessed. I then bought Frank and listened to her exclusively for about 9 months...

Edited by iwakeupalone, 20 August 2011 - 03:39 PM.

#19 Mike from NY

Mike from NY

My alcoholic logic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 01:36 AM

I had the house to myself for a weekend in early 2007 so I ordered some food and was flipping through channels trying to find something to watch. All of a sudden I see the You know I am no good video on MTV 2 and I was wondering who the hell this was. I rarely hear new music I really like anymore so I took some notice. I went to youtube to look her up and the first things I came across were Back to Black and the DL version of Valerie and I was floored. I went out that night and bought her album and I was a fan from that point on. A few weeks later Rehab was all over the place.

I was playing her music for anybody that would listen. Back to Black was truly my soundtrack to the summer of 2007.
Mike from NY, proud to be a member of Amy Winehouse Forums since Sep 2007.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users