Photo
- - - - -

What are your favourite quotes/one liners from Amy's songs?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#16 Sir' Taurean

Sir' Taurean

Mr. Magic!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:49 PM

*Don't you know you supposed to be the man* - Stronger Than Me
*I was thinking of you when I came* - I Heard Love Is Blind
*Despite my frustration for the way that you thinkin', yes* - You Sent Me Flying
*Life is like a pipe* - Back To Black
*You smoke all my weed man, you got's to call the green man* - Addicted
*Someday I'll buy the rizla, so you get the dro* - Best Friends
*Without you I'm misery, blue without my green* - Mr. Magic
  • vickyfm18 and terrencexp3 like this

#17 Merlin

Merlin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:31 AM

I love the way she sings "my blood running cold" in wake up alone. It thrills me everytime.
Wake Up Alone is the best song I heard in my life so far. If you have a good sound system, your in another world. Its so timeless.
  • vickyfm18 likes this

#18 Sir' Taurean

Sir' Taurean

Mr. Magic!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:47 AM

I love the way she sings "my blood running cold" in wake up alone. It thrills me everytime.
Wake Up Alone is the best song I heard in my life so far. If you have a good sound system, your in another world. Its so timeless.

Oh hell yes!!

Entire 'Back To Black' LP sounds amazing on a great sound system.
  • vickyfm18 likes this

SIGNATURE REMOVED. PLEASE MAKE SURE SIGNATURE DOES NOT EXCEED 500x200 PIXELS.

#19 Emi

Emi

no se que poner acá

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 02:58 AM

- It's okay in the day, I'm staying busy
tied up enough so I don’t have to wonder where is he..

- That silent sense of content
that everyone gets
just disappears soon as the sun sets...

- All I can ever be to you is a darkness we know
- It’s my responsibility, you don’t owe nothing to me
- I’ll be some next man’s other woman soon
  • vickyfm18 likes this

#20 Cariena

Cariena

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:26 PM

I just loved her writing abilities she was an extremely underrated writer imo. It's a shame she never got credit for her writing abilities.

Some of my favs are

''I cheated myself like I knew I would, I told you I was trouble ... you know I'm no good''
''his face in my dreams seizes my guts he floods me with dread''
''Run around so I don't have to think about thinking''
''over futile odds and laughed at by the Gods and now the final frame''

These are just few of the many I absolutely LOVE

#21 Dani14

Dani14

You're the sweetest thing I've ever known

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • LocationGreece/Piraeus

Posted 26 August 2011 - 02:56 PM

What is it about men - "I don't care 'bout what you got, I want it all"

Dk why but this line gives me the chills.

60do5Ti.jpg

#22 Sir' Taurean

Sir' Taurean

Mr. Magic!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 03:34 PM

What is it about men - "I don't care 'bout what you got, I want it all"

Dk why but this line gives me the chills.

'And I question myself again, what is it about men'....Love that song!

SIGNATURE REMOVED. PLEASE MAKE SURE SIGNATURE DOES NOT EXCEED 500x200 PIXELS.

#23 leannaf

leannaf

Noob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 05:53 PM

he gets fierce in my dreams seizing mu guts,
he fills me with dread,
soaked to soul he swims in my eyes by the bed.
and
how can have her heart,
when it got stole,
though he tries to pacify her,
cause whats inside her never dies

and
you should be stronger than me

i dont understand why do i stress a man

my fave is

i shouldnt play myself again,
i should just be my own best friend,
not f**k my self in the head with stupid men

and ive still got loads more lol

#24 Sbrnseay

Sbrnseay

I'll go back to black . . . .

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 11:30 PM

I LOVE Wake Up Alone! And your right this song IS timeless. . . . but actually ALL of Amy's music on that Back To Black album is timeless. 20 years later you'll be listening to it and it will sound like it was just recently made; it won't sound dated . . . . it sure doesn't sound dated in 2011! Amy was very clever when she made this album and it took a skillful artist to pull this off. She incorporated 1960's, soul, R&B, and a bit of jazz into these songs pulling off a retro yet contemporary/modern sound and 20 years from now not only will these genres of music still be around but I'm sure they won't sound too different then what we are accustomed to in 2011. Her music is always going to sound fresh and new, retro yet contemporary no matter how many years these songs will be around. Very clever Amy!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

For you I was a flame
Love is a losing game
Five story fire as you came
Love is a losing game

One I wished I never played
Oh what a mess we made
And now the final frame
Love is a losing game

--"Love Is A Losing Game", from Amy Winehouse's album Back To Black

#25 Nigel Jam

Nigel Jam

You Know I'm No Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 12:15 AM

She wrote so many brilliant lyrics, one liner that I love is

"Feel like a lady and you my lady boy" that is a put down.

"You sent me flying when you kicked me to the kerb" what that mean?

"She's reborn like Sarah Vaughan"

"It's bricked up in my head and shoved under my bed">:-(

#26 hockeygirl89

hockeygirl89

Noob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:21 AM

I find that Amy's lyrics that I like the most are the ones that I can most relate to myself. As this goes for the majority of her music, it's hard to choose a line here and there, so I've done my best!

"When he comes to me, I drip for him tonight" - Wake Up Alone. There's something about this line that draws me to this song, it's just so emotional and surrendering and connecting.

"It's my responsibility, you don't owe nothing to me, but to walk away I have no capacity" - Tears Dry on their Own. She couldn't have said it any better; this line is so honest. For a long, long time I couldn't walk away either.

"He left no time to regret, kept his d**k wet, with his same old safe bet" - Back to Black. This one hits really close to home; a boyfriend and his ex. Need I say anymore?

"Love is a losing game, one I wish I'd never played. Oh, what a mess we made" - Love is a Losing Game. Sometimes, I feel this way. It makes me feel better to know that I'm not the only one who does.

#27 fretboard

fretboard

Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 06:49 AM

"What kind of fuckery are we? Nowadays you don't mean dick to me" (Me and Mr. Jones)

Gotta agree with What'sinsideher up there. The lady was a genius and I'm still stuck on the first CD I got of Amy's. Back to Black, like millions of others I absolutely love this babe!!!

#28 LondonSweet

LondonSweet

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:48 AM

I agree: "Feel like a lady and you my ladyboy" is definitely up there: Amy could put down like no other.

Also love:

"Don't be upset when they call you a sket coz like the news everyday you get pressed" Classic line an it's exactly what I subscribe to; if you don't want to be called a sket (popular London terminology lol) then don't do obviously sket-like things :shrug:

"maybe if I get this down I'll get it off my mind yeah. ...I knew the truth when it came would be to that effect. At least youre attracted to me which I do not expect. Didn't think you'd get my number down as such but I'd never hated myself for my age so much" I love this for so many reasons. I first heard this song at 11 when my mum bought the album and I liked it even then by now being older (only a year older than Amy would've been when she wrote this) I appreciate it on such a deeper level; that scenario of you liking a guy but having to accept that nothing will come of it. Further, as 17 year old boys tend to have the maturity of 12 yr olds (lol) I do tend to find myself attracted to older guys with real depth...and havin to just silently admire >:-(

"You made me cry where's my kiss goodbye? Oh I think I love you," Suh palpable heartbreak. Was also one of the first Amy songs I remember hearing ('Whos this, mum?' 'Its a cd I just bought. A girl called Amy Winehouse. Do you know, when she recorded this she wasn't den 20?') and fell in love immediately with the hook 'Frank's in there and I don't care (put it in the box put it in the box)'

"As we kiss goodbye the sunsets and we are history, his shadow covers me, the sky above ablaze that only lovers see," Such a beautiful image constructed in a single line.
Nikki
Forever the fan of a musical Genius.

Winehouse~1983-2011
Remember her
8-/

#29 D-Bomb

D-Bomb

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 10:59 PM

Love Is A Losing Game and Wake Up Alone are brilliant. Its not a stretch to say the best lyrics I've ever heard. Hopefully this gets acknowledged. To a poster above, I don't think its that she was underrated. She had one album that caught people's attention. People fell in love with her and saw so much in her and hailed her for days on in. But her "bad behavior" from late 2007 onwards distracted people and more importantly, one album can only do so much.

I know this sounds horrible but it was said that Janis Joplin, Hendrix, etc kept releasing music up until they died, no matter how trashed they were. Apart of me wishes that Amy had kept releasing albums. It would've given us more amazing music and cemented her talent (while probably making her image worse though). Some of you guys like to slam her label but they were nothing but fair to her IMO.. If they wanted an album, they would've and could've put a couple out out since BTB or a few EPs.

#30 songwriter

songwriter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 04:55 PM

'Self-professed, profound, 'til the chips were down' from Love is a Losing Game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users