9 replies to this topic

#1 Cynthia

Cynthia

Addicted to her

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 02:24 PM

When i was lying in my bed yesterday, this thought came across my mind and i realised that Amy is the Star of our generation.
I never really cared for Elvis, Jimi Hendrix, Curt Cobain or Janis Joplin, because they never lived in my (and probably your) lifetime.
So i thought about what people might think in 20, 30 years when they will hear her music or read something about her? Maybe most of them won't really care.

But i'm gonna tell my children everything about her, that her Songs were the songs of my youth and that i grew up with them. And that she touched my heart and had a great impact on my life.

So i think that we're lucky that Amy lived in our lifetime. <3
And even if many of us didn't get the chance to see her life, she'll always be in a special place for us, because it's our Amy. <3

Posted Image
Amy flies in paradise

#2 pearljo

pearljo

♪♫♫ vaginal bleeding

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 03:04 PM

i know what you mean about amy being a part of the current generation but if you look around at her fans and other musicians she reached a much broader scope.

in fact, amy's musical influences had, in my opinion, very little to do with this generations music, you have to go back to bennett's generation to find what amy was about. still, her music was contemporary.

i like going back and learning more about her influences because i want to know where she came from. if i watch a sarah vaughn video i can see how much she influenced amy.

i'm always impressed at how young people latched on to amy and that made me happy. but i'm also impressed to talk to someone in their 20's or 30's that has done research and listened to my generations music..jimi, janis, etc. even though time has moved on, they were huge in their day and still. these are musician's of amy's caliber and it's good to know who they were. hendrix will never be topped on guitar, for one.

music education is good because there's so much good music in all genre's. if we hope for those in the next generation to remember amy(they will)it may help matters for us to do what we'd like to see them do. but not everyone is interested in that. to be honest, if i had only one record to play forever it would be btb. but if i had 2, it would be a hard decision. :)

#3 catouplik

catouplik

Help yourself

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 03:11 PM

^My mom is 81 and was a fan of Amy. She just loved her voice and the combination of power and fragility. I agree with you Phil.

#4 ladyamy

ladyamy

No Greater Love Than What I Feel For You

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 03:26 PM

I'm 18 and I've been brought up on jazz, soul and classic movies. Frank Sinatra, Billie Holiday, Dinah Washington, Fred Astaire, Dick Powell, The Ronnettes and Tammi Terrell (who sadly passed away when she was only 24) are my daddy's idols and, actually, they were old when he was young. I've grown up listening to that music but also great music from my time (The Libertines, Michael Bublé, Jamie Cullum, Michael Jackson). In 30 years probably it will be same: our kids will listen to her at home and not all, but many of them, will be amazed by her talent, by her powerful voice, by her beauty and by her extraordinary life and will love her as much as we do now but with another perspective, just enjoying her music without worrying about anything else. I swear my kids will love her, otherwise I'll put them up for adoption (just joking)
I’m a firm believer that we all meet up in eternity

#5 tunisianswife

tunisianswife

Susan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 04:07 PM

this was what I always admired about her-she could reach out to all demographics and I believe alot of that was because of her strong foundation with what she grew up listening to at home, which much of what was influenced by Mitch very early on. Not many girls at the age of 8 would know all the words to a Sinatra song; and at the same time-she was a teen in the 90's so she obviously was keen to what was out there at that time(not that she was a huge huge fan of much of what was out there, as she has stated in interviews). she was able to cross over and bring all demographics with her. she didn't LOSE fans after 'Frank'...she GAINED a new audience as well. another thing I just loved about her.

Cynthia, I loved your post and your thoughts. you're right-for your generation, she was the 'elvis' or 'the beatles' or 'Marilyn'. I never had an idol growing up-had to wait til I was in my 40's...and all good things come to those that wait.(grin)
:'-(She was the DiVinci of my music world!

#6 lolainas

lolainas

Never Clip My Wings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 05:29 PM

To this statement you only have to ask yourself one thing? There's one voice like the Amy's one?
I know your answer, there's a lot of singer and a lot of fans of them, but i think that almost all are passing fashions (i dunno if it's well writing), Amy is an artist, not only a singer. I think that she can be remembered years after like the Beatles are...
And yes, we have to feel fortunates to have live in her period, in years ppl will wish be on our place!
PS: Maybe I'm too much dreamer but it's my point of view.

.why dont you come on over, Valerie?

"It's not important to me to make other people at ease. I am difficult, but that's because I don’t really give a fuck."

#7 Mike from NY

Mike from NY

My alcoholic logic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 06:15 PM

I notice Amy more than many other artists has a fanbase that consists of all ages, races, genders, musical tastes and backgrounds. It is very hard to think of a typical Amy Winehouse fan.
Mike from NY, proud to be a member of Amy Winehouse Forums since Sep 2007.

#8 iheartblondie

iheartblondie

When I come back, you'll know.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 07:01 PM

I feel you completely! If I have kids of my own, or if I just have a child that I need to look after, I'm going make it a damn priority to raise him or her on great music. Not good music...GREAT music.

And yeah, I thought about that the day she died. She really is the music treasure of my generation and she has no competition.

#9 Miss Mermaid

Miss Mermaid

miss ya kid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 10:04 AM

Yep - another artist like her won't come around for a real long time - if at all.

just got to read any of her lyrics and it blows you away.

#10 Chloë

Chloë

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 02:37 PM

Yup, I feel blessed to have spent my teenage years in Amy's era. She showed me what 'real' women are about :D I think, in about twenty years time, she'll have the same status as Jimi Hendrix now.
& Does anybody else think that the comparisons with her and Janis Joplin are really weird? Janis paved the way for female musicians and crossed the barrier of black & white music & Amy did the whole thing over again in a way, and a whole lot more. Anyway, I'm a big fan of Janis as well, and it seems like she's a bit forgotten now. But it will be different with Amy. I hope they'll see Amy as an artist. A lot of people now talk about the wonderful singer, but they don't realise how much Amy did for Back To Black.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users