25 replies to this topic

#1 HugoRockz

HugoRockz

Amy, Amy, Amy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 10:21 PM

Could y'all please help me to list out all the music that Amy would listen to? Beside the obivous, Frank Sinatra and Shangri-las. Thanks a million!

LEGEND

Amy, Amy, Amy...
1983-2011
:rose:

#2 LegendJJ

LegendJJ

Amy, Amy, Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 10:30 PM

Nas
Mos Def
Lauryn Hill
Rah Digga
Busta Rhymes
Tony Bennett
TLC
Salt N Pepa

I'm probably missing a lot but I tried my best lol

#3 Amy Jenna Harper

Amy Jenna Harper

Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 11:11 PM

The Bangles..

Check this,she talking about her influence (what she listen to,ect)

One name,one word : Amy <3
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#4 Jaede~

Jaede~

Fanks Daaaarling~

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 01:57 AM

On her Frank album she thanks

Roy Ayers
Count Basie
Beastie Boys
Ben Folds Five
Tony Bennett
Clifford Brown
D'Angelo
Sammy Davies
Duke Ellington
Donny Hathaway
Mahalia Jackson
Michael Jackson
Louis Jordan
Quincy Jones
King Pleasure
Carole King
Left Eye
Charlie Mingus
Thelonius Monk
Minnie Ripperton
Salt N' Pepa
Frank Sinatra
James Taylor
Teena Marie
Sarah Vaughn
Dinah Washington
Stevie Wonder

Those are some of her influences she thanked on her album
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#5 ladyamy

ladyamy

No Greater Love Than What I Feel For You

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 09:45 AM

Most of the singers & musicians Amy liked are my favorites too! She had great musical taste.
I’m a firm believer that we all meet up in eternity

#6 Amy Jenna Harper

Amy Jenna Harper

Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 09:58 AM

Hm..the only think..Michael Jackson

Otherwise I agree with you ladyamy ^^

One name,one word : Amy <3
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#7 ladyamy

ladyamy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 10:42 AM

I love Frank Sinatra, Dinah Washington, Michael Jackson, Count Basie, Sammy Davis, Tony Bennett, Duke Ellington, Donny Hathaway, Thelonious Monk and Sarah Vaughn, because I've been listening to them since I was a baby. There are some others I've never heard of, though. I think I'm gonna find out who are they and have a listen to their music. If Amy likes them, they must be good.

#8 Nigel Jam

Nigel Jam

You Know I'm No Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 11:23 AM

In one of the interviews somewhere she mentions that the Beastie Boys had a big impact on her as it was the first kind of hip hop she heard. She remarked that she thought it was the new jazz and that's on and interview somewhere. So can you imagine Amy doing "Fight for the Right to Party"?

#9 fuck-me-pumps

fuck-me-pumps

empty inside.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 11:53 AM

...and The Zutons!

#10 tunisianswife

tunisianswife

Susan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 01:26 PM

listened to her interview part 1 and 2 last night from 2003 or 2004 from Amsterdam that LondonSweet was kind enough to give the link of. (see the what are you doing for amy's birthday thread to find the link).

it is a great interview and gives you perspective on what she likes, what she doesn't, and who she likes and who she doesn't so much. she mentioned TLC (???) or something like that as a hip hap/rap she listened to. I know it was in that genre because the interviewer then asked her if she listened to RunDMC growing up, and she totally dissed that one. LOL
:'-(She was the DiVinci of my music world!

#11 Alan48

Alan48

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,607 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 02:42 PM

^always loved TLC's Waterfalls, although it's so melodic I always looked at it as more pop than hip hop.
Norwegian "shitty hotel room" interview vanished from YouTube but it's still on the original site (couldn't get it to play on Firefox or Chrome - had to use IE) http://www.nrk.no/ne...v/indeks/86658/
Love her smile as she puts on Aretha on a CD player that looks just like one I used to have.
  • Love is a losing game likes this

#12 LegendJJ

LegendJJ

Amy, Amy, Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 03:03 PM

Well TLC technically were r and b & POP. Lol I find it strange that she didn't like run dmc so much when they had a similar sound to the beastie boys(Rap-Rock). :)

Here is another quote by her

"There's so many people I'd love to work with: Nas, Mos Def. I'd love to work with Busta Rhymes, I'd love to work with Rah Digga ... I love them," she said in 2007. "I learned a lot of stuff about how to write songs from people like that. I just really like them, and if they like my stuff, cool. ... If they want to do a track, I'd love to." (MTV)

Edit: Btw I think rah digga is part of/ affiliated with Busta's group. Never listened to her but a lot of people have said that she is in the same underrated class as mos def. I never even heard of her until late July when websites showed old interviews of Amy

Edited by LegendJJ, 17 September 2011 - 03:09 PM.

#13 Maiane

Maiane

I love you much, it's not enough

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 03:05 PM

The Ronettes, The Shirelles, Ray Charles, Dean Martin, Billy Paul, Ella Fitzgerald, Toots & The Maytals, The Specials, Billie Holiday, Lionel Richie, Tom Jobim/Vinicius de Moraes (she sang 'Girl from Ipanema' in an audition once).
Also, she went to gigs by Taylor Swift and The Libertines - but I don't know if she was a big fan.

#14 tunisianswife

tunisianswife

Susan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 03:14 PM

thanks, Alan for that interview link on Norwegian tv. I do remember the beginning of it w/her referring to the hotel room but never saw the whole thing.
:'-(She was the DiVinci of my music world!

#15 ladyamy

ladyamy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 12:53 PM

The Ronettes, The Shirelles, Ray Charles, Dean Martin, Billy Paul, Ella Fitzgerald, Toots & The Maytals, The Specials, Billie Holiday, Lionel Richie, Tom Jobim/Vinicius de Moraes (she sang 'Girl from Ipanema' in an audition once).
Also, she went to gigs by Taylor Swift and The Libertines - but I don't know if she was a big fan.

She was a big fan of the Libertines even before she met Pete Doherty in that interview with Jonathan Ross in 2004. There she told Pete she loved their music a lot and Pete told her she was great and proposed to her doing a cover of Billie Holiday. I read it somewhere ages ago.
As for Taylor Swift I don't think she's the kind of singer Amy likes at all, but you never know...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users