84 replies to this topic

#76 Eva

Eva

Banned Bitch!

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:07 PM

@badfish Thanks for the quick reply. Like you say, I guess it's the attitude as much as anything that shows the hip- hop influence. There's certainly something in Amy's music that attracts me. When she does jazz/blues influenced stuff or "jukebox" she adds something to it that I've never been able to put my finger on. For some reason, when I first started listening to Amy (I'm one of those who sadly discovered her after she was gone.) I picked up on "Fool's Gold" right way.

you are welcome hun. i think she speaks for a lot of us in the words she has written and thats the comfort in her music. her stuff is really down to earth and doesn't seem out of ur grasp. like whenever i listen to her, really listen to her, i just think....damn i could have written that if i had a pint of talent in my blood haha..her music just follows its impulses. doesnt try to be anything, it just is.

"sometimes I go about in pity for myself,
and all the while a great wind is bearing me across the sky...
"

I wanna keep you here laying next to me
sharin our love between the sheets

起死回生

#77 amylove

amylove

<3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,480 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:30 PM

[MENTION=3088]badfish[/MENTION] I really appreciate your perspective on the forum... you're great!

#78 LaPeep

LaPeep

My alcoholic logic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:52 PM

Are Hip hop and rap used interchangeably?
I do remember in the early 80's when I was graduating high school and Grandmaster Flash, Sugarhill gang and Run DMC came out
I really liked them.
I also like some of the Geto Boys, remember them? ??? from the early nineties...
They seem kinda tame now compared to whats going on now
Liked the lyrics on this one

"I don't know her, I never met her, and when I saw that pic, I thought, 'That's me!' But then I found out, no, it's Amy........Ronnie Spector of the Ronettes

#79 amylove

amylove

<3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,480 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:26 PM

^I see rap as a part of hip-hop... so I don't think I'd use them interchangeably. (Correct me if I'm wrong...)

I like some aspects of hip-hop... the attitude/style, but I'm not a fan of rap... here and there, but I couldn't listen to an album of it. Amy opened my eyes and heart though ;)

#80 Eva

Eva

Banned Bitch!

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:22 PM

rap is hip hop, but hip hop is not rap. hip hop is a culture and rap is an element of it ((like graffiti, beat boxing, emceeing, etc)) think of it this way....hippies were a part of a subculture n the music that endorsed from that was about peace

and thank you very much [MENTION=2636]allisost[/MENTION] thats a very sweet thing to say to someone :) i always look out for ur posts cos you always have something worth while to say. its a pleasure reading your words miss x

"

起死回生

#81 amylove

amylove

<3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,480 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:17 AM

^Half of my posts are just me crushing on Amy...haha...

It's funny you said that about feeling like you could write what she did... I love Amy because I relate to being self-aware and insightful... or so I've been told I am, but I can't seem to put it to good use!

#82 Mr Hathaway

Mr Hathaway

Camden town ain't burnin' down

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:18 AM

I don't know if anyone has mentioned Lauryn Hill or The Fugees yet, but they're fantastic (especially Lauryn Hill). Amy loved them, as well.
Just a fellow fan of the supremely talented songstress, Amy Jade Winehouse.

#83 ishouldcare

ishouldcare

Noob

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:20 AM

How's about Soweto Kinch? Amy mentioned him in that interview from "The Day She Came To Dingle". I listen to his albums and I think he's a great musician and a talented emcee. A very tasteful fusion of jazz and hip hop. I mean, real jazz, which has nothing to do with sampling and all that. He's a decent sax player! Unfortunately, I can't post any links now, since I'm new to this forum, but just google it, if you're interested.

#84 Mr Hathaway

Mr Hathaway

Camden town ain't burnin' down

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:52 PM

wow, readin thru this thread, i see that there is a lot of recycled ignorance towards hip hop..hip hop can be really romantic, and just as channeling and sophisticated as jazz, and with all due respect, u are diverting ur attention towards the wrong kind of hip hop....and old skool hip hop musicians have a lot of respect for all music, they never diss, they love it all, and they really feel the elements of it..thats why hip hop produces some of the best producers..and if u dont love hip hop..u definitely love a certain spectrum of it, otherwise u wouldnt be feeling amy's music

u dont have to love hip hop, but there is no need to be oblivious to the fact that they work as hard as anyone else in the game..a good hip hop artist nowadays is sacred

i love everything you've said here and the pharcyde is great i just recently bought that album
Just a fellow fan of the supremely talented songstress, Amy Jade Winehouse.

#85 Eva

Eva

Banned Bitch!

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:33 AM

i love everything you've said here and the pharcyde is great i just recently bought that album

pharcyde is the real shit! hip hop legends..black moon and das efx too

"

起死回生

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users