212 replies to this topic

#166 Nasha

Nasha

Amy Amy Amy...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:53 AM

If I'm remembering correctly, Lucian Grainge, the head of Amy's record label, was once quoted as say he had heard demos for her 3rd album and they were fantastic. I wonder which tracks he was referring to.

I can't help wondering that too...

Crol, thank you for the Times' review, it's very interesting and informative.

Another review, from the Daily Mail:

Thank you, Amy: ADRIAN THRILLS listens to a new album of unreleased songs... and is enchanted by the music the singer left behind

By Adrian Thrills

Last updated at 10:34 PM on 3rd November 2011

This week’s news that Island Records have put together a collection of unreleased songs by Amy Winehouse in time for Christmas will have been met with some trepidation by the late singer’s millions of fans.

Posthumous albums are a tricky proposition. On one hand, there is the demand from fans for new material. On the other, there is the unwritten obligation, one that is often ignored, to treat a deceased artist with some respect.

When the singer in question was as picky and uncompromising as Winehouse, who died, aged 27, in her London home in July, that task is all the more difficult. After all, here was a musician dubbed ‘one of the most honest I have ever known’ by veteran crooner Tony Bennett.

But Winehouse’s trustees — her record label, family and long-time musical partners Salaam Remi and Mark Ronson — have done a decent job in showing due consideration for her legacy on Lioness: Hidden Treasures, a 12-track album out on December 5.

Winehouse was an astonishing natural talent. Despite her demons, she was a major British artist whose best years surely lay ahead of her. And all of the attributes that made her such a compelling studio performer are evident here.

On the downside, Lioness is far from the third studio album that Amy’s fans had been willing her to make ever since 2006’s classic Back To Black.

That record and her 2003 debut, Frank, were based almost entirely on her own songwriting. It can be safely assumed that Amy’s third album proper, had she lived, would have followed a similar pattern.

This is more of a mish-mash. Of its 12 tracks, only six are original compositions, and one of those, Tears Dry, is a re-working, albeit a wonderfully dramatic one, of a song from Back To Black. The other six numbers are covers, including Body And Soul, her duet with Bennett, and a new version of Valerie.

Much of the album has been overseen by Salaam Remi. Though Winehouse’s biggest hits were studio-crafted by Mark Ronson, her relationship with Remi goes back further.

A New Yorker who moved to Miami after the 2001 terror attacks, he made his reputation on the hip-hop circuit, but, as he proved on Amy’s previous albums, he is a producer with a great ear for pop hooks and soulful arrangements. His unifying presence is crucial to the album’s overall sound.

With nine years spanning the oldest track (a cover of The Girl From Ipanema) to the most recent (the Bennett duet), Lioness feels uneven. Remi’s deft production goes some way towards forging something coherent from the patchwork ingredients.

The producer was in London the day Winehouse died, and the pair had planned to attend the wedding of a mutual friend that fateful weekend.

He says piecing the album together was a healing process for him. ‘I had a big brother relationship with Amy,’ he says.

‘With me, there was a musical space where she could be herself and not worry about anything else.’

The first song he and Amy worked on together, a sunny cover of The Girl From Ipanema, has been dusted down here. Though Amy was only 18 when it was recorded, she sounds far from overwhelmed at the prospect of tackling a bossa nova standard. Her take is rough and ready, but it also reiterates just how well she could improvise.

‘The way she re-interpreted a classic made me realise I was dealing with a special talent. Her approach was so young and fresh,’ says Salaam.

‘I didn’t even know what she looked like until I met her, but she just came in with her acoustic guitar and sang the song. She put something into it I’d never heard before.’

Lioness features several other songs from the time of Amy’s debut. Some are demos or early takes to which Remi has subsequently added backing vocals and strings, though the producer maintains he spent only two weeks touching up the material, just as he would do with any recording.

Of these older tracks, the highlight is Halftime, a mellow nu-soul ballad in the style of Texan singer Erykah Badu. A song about Amy’s love of music, it captures her at the peak of her emotional powers and features a passing reference to Ol’ Blue Eyes.

‘And when Frank Sinatra sings, it’s too much to take/He pacifies my ache,’ she sings.

Of the newer songs, the stand-out is Between The Cheats. Recorded in 2008, it features an upbeat, doo-wop arrangement similar to the Back To Black album track Me And Mr Jones.

Though the words are hard to decipher, it has sparked speculation that it was inspired by Amy’s relationship with former husband Blake Fielder-Civil, whom she divorced in 2009.

‘My husband is the finest, handsome hustler,’ she sings. ‘He still makes this housewife blush.’

The real tear-jerker is A Song For You. Written by Leon Russell and made famous by the late U.S. soul man Donny Hathaway, it captures Amy at her most vulnerable and heart-rending.

Far from her best song technically, it was recorded in one take in her home studio in 2009, apparently with tears rolling down her cheeks as she sang.

It also closes with a snippet of studio chit-chat that Amy’s fans will love, as the singer talks to Remi about her admiration for her all-time favourite singer Hathaway: ‘Like, Marvin Gaye . . . great. But Donny Hathaway . . . it was like he couldn’t contain himself, he had something in him.’

As did Amy herself. And while Lioness might not be the sequel to Back To Black she might have ultimately come up with, it is a fitting tribute that is unlikely to leave anyone feeling short-changed.

With reports suggesting there is more unreleased material in the vaults, it is to be hoped the curators of Amy’s legacy maintain the same standards.

TOP TRACKS

Between The Cheats (May 2008)
This excellent song adds doo-wop influence to one of Amy’s own numbers.

Wake Up Alone (March 2006)
The first song recorded for Back To Black, this never made the final cut. Brilliantly sung.

Our Day Will Come (May 2002)
reggae re-vamp of a 1963 Ruby & The Romantics hit.

Halftime (August 2002)
Beautiful nu-soul ballad that could grow into one of Amy’s most loved songs.

The Girl From Ipanema (May 2002)
Amy summons up the spirit of Brazilian singer Astrud Gilberto. The first song she sang — when she was just a teenager — when she met her producer Salaam Remi.

http://www.dailymail...eft-behind.html

Edited by Nasha, 05 November 2011 - 02:06 AM.
spelling

"I should just be my own best friend"

Amy Winehouse (1983-2011)

#167 D-Bomb

D-Bomb

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:15 AM

Putting Valerie and Body & Soul on there are a waste. I'd prefer other covers or something live like the Ain't Nobody's Business snippet we have.

I'm really hoping there's something for a 3rd album, even if its 5 or 6 songs.

#168 dunkinz

dunkinz

You Know I'm No Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:52 AM

Putting Valerie and Body & Soul on there are a waste. I'd prefer other covers or something live like the Ain't Nobody's Business snippet we have.

I'm really hoping there's something for a 3rd album, even if its 5 or 6 songs.

Couldn't agree more. It's my party even better than those two. (to be included in the album)
You're wondering now, what to do.. Now you know this is the end.
You're wondering how, you will pay for the way you misbehaved.

I will love you forever Amy Jade x

#169 D-Bomb

D-Bomb

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 01:21 PM

Couldn't agree more. It's my party even better than those two. (to be included in the album)

I don't like It's My Party much. Her vocal sounds kinda bad.

#170 Tara

Tara

This Bird Has Flown...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 01:28 PM

No, I'm not a big fan of It's My Party either. It's good, but not up to Amy's standard IMO. Very glad there was enough great material not to include it.
Posted Image

'Memories mar my mind, love is a fate resigned'

#171 ancre

ancre

Just friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:35 PM

I can't stop thinking why some of them weren't published when Amy was with us... In fact it made me wondering for a very long time. She wanted a perfect concept album and nothing less? Knowing Amy - yes but maybe Island wanted Amy not to change her musical style and do "b2b-continuation"?

#172 ancre

ancre

Just friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:37 PM

Double post, sorry.

Edited by ancre, 05 November 2011 - 10:53 AM.
cancelled double post

#173 D-Bomb

D-Bomb

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:44 PM

I can't stop thinking why some of them weren't published when Amy was with us... In fact it made me wondering for a very long time. She wanted a perfect concept album and nothing less? Knowing Amy - yes, but maybe Island wanted Amy not to change her musical style and do "b2b-continuation" (and probably she wanted something brand new)?

I mentioned this elsewhere yesterday but just looking back, what was she doing in 2009 and 10?

#174 Dani14

Dani14

You're the sweetest thing I've ever known

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • LocationGreece/Piraeus

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:46 PM

I mentioned this in another thread and i'll say it again. As much as i want everything she has made to be published, i wish they would do it right and all at once. Not by trying to make to most $ out of each song.

Anyway... This review from the Daily Mail made it even harder for me to wait. Especially for 'Between The Cheats' and 'Halftime'. But if what it says about 'A Song For You' is true (Far from her best song technically, it was recorded in one take in her home studio in 2009, apparently with tears rolling down her cheeks as she sang.) then this shouldn't be released. It just feels wrong.

60do5Ti.jpg

#175 tunisianswife

tunisianswife

Susan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 11:34 PM

great Salaam interview that a great YouTuber uploaded.

:'-(She was the DiVinci of my music world!

#176 Nasha

Nasha

Amy Amy Amy...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 01:10 AM

This review from the Daily Mail made it even harder for me to wait. Especially for 'Between The Cheats' and 'Halftime'. But if what it says about 'A Song For You' is true (Far from her best song technically, it was recorded in one take in her home studio in 2009, apparently with tears rolling down her cheeks as she sang.) then this shouldn't be released. It just feels wrong.

I can't wait for "Between The Cheats" and "Halftime" either. About "A Song For You" (one of my favorite songs, I was really looking forward to Amy's cover of it), here's what was published in The Guardian (a reliable newspaper, I think. At least more reliable than The Daily Mail, I guess):

A Song For You

Introduced to journalists with the warning that a debate surrounded the inclusion of this version of the Leon Russell classic made famous by Donny Hathaway. "It may not be the best song technically," said an Island Records executive. Nonetheless, the recording has its own story – being recorded in one take at Winehouse's house in north London in early 2009, where the singer had built a home studio. "She said to me, we can make the new album here," Remi recalled. "We don't have to worry about the paparazzi".

"She was just lying down on a couch, with the mic in her hand and by about halfway through the song she was crying, really weeping, with makeup running down her face." Remi took this recording and added further production to it, including the sound of rain with which it begins.

The song concludes with the lines: "And when my life is over/ Remember when we were together/ We were alone and I was singing this song for you." It would have made an appropriately sentimental end to Lioness, and it is sequenced as the last track on the album. But after the song finishes playing, we hear a snatch of Winehouse talking to Remi, discussing the relative merits of Marvin Gaye and the singer who first made the song famous. "Donny Hathaway," she says. "It was like he couldn't contain himself … he had something in him, you know."

http://www.guardian....eased-christmas

... Don't know what to think about this anymore...

Edited by Nasha, 05 November 2011 - 01:36 AM.

"I should just be my own best friend"

Amy Winehouse (1983-2011)

#177 ohmr

ohmr

No sweeter song, no heart so true

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 02:54 AM

I don't mind the Song For You cover and what it may be. If Remi felt that the songs had substance enough to be released and heard by others, there must be something special about them, uneditted, unmastered, no gloss. I look forward to this entire project. It's starting not to seem thrown together as I had negatively presumed. I'm really appreciating the time and effort and thought behind this project and I'm sure most fans will also. It's just another chance for us to hear something new from Amy. Just have to learn to put aside the bitterness towards the labels and why they do things.

What I'm loving about Remi right now is that I feel he understands how important and special this is to fans. He may have always but this is honestly the first time I've really followed his words or even seen an interview. Honestly didn't even know what he looked like. He shared a lot of great musical moments with this woman and he seems proud that he knew her and that's straight up love.

I'm looking forward to the project and many more as long as they're done properly. At the end of the day, Island records is still a business so I can't be mad at them for running their business. Again, I just hope future project are just done well. I'm all up for random Amy tracks being released.

Amy, are you happy?
She squints suspiciously at me.
"About what?"
About life.
"I'm happy about this salad."

#178 StrongerThanMe

StrongerThanMe

♫ Like smoke I hang around ♫

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 07:22 PM

Just pre-ordered mine. Can't wait till December 2nd!
Posted Image

#179 Chloƫ

Chloƫ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 04:46 PM

I was a bit disappointed that we already have a lot of tracks on the album but I can't wait for Between the Cheats & A Song For You.
Anyway, I'd buy an album of Amy burping the alphabet.

#180 juniour

juniour

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 05:41 PM

This one...."I love you than you'll ever know" should've really been in the album....damnnnn..

short and clear version

Full performance but grainy

~~~I Go Back to Black~~~
http://www.facebook.com/JuniourGoh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users