Photo
- - - - -

Should we listen to the Originals first (Lioness)?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Cynthia

Cynthia

Addicted to her

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 10:56 AM

So, next week Lioness is gonna be out and i've wondered what you guys do: Will you listen (or do you know) the original Songs (The Girl from Ip., A Song for you) first or will you wait until you've listened to the Cover Versions of Amy?

I'm gonna be waiting, i want to listen to Amy's Songs first and then google/youtube the original versions. ;)
Amy flies in paradise

#2 ladyamy

ladyamy

No Greater Love Than What I Feel For You

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 12:07 PM

I know all the songs already as I am a great fan of jazz standards and soul classic, but if you haven't heard them before, I'd rather wait and listen to Amy's versions because you know, when Amy covers a song, that's not a cover anymore, it's an Amy's song that once was sung by someone else.
I’m a firm believer that we all meet up in eternity

#3 cez

cez

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 12:14 PM

The Girl From Ipanema, I heard so many times, I'm brazilian lol. A Song 4u I'll listen to... But there are so many songs that Amy covered and I didn't listen to the originals lol ):

#4 ChipsAndPitta

ChipsAndPitta

I Told Ya I Was Trouble

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:16 PM

I'm in the same boat as ladyamy and have heard them before. I'm really excited to hear her version of A Song For You, its been covered quite a bit but its a song Amy would have connected with lyrically i guess. I can almost hear her version in my head now, its gonna be a tearjerker for sure.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm on Twitts >>> https://twitter.com/Baris1989 <<<

#5 amysarmynow

amysarmynow

You Know I'm No Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:26 PM

I will make one of these cheat sheets for "Girl From Ipanema," in a day or two.

For folks who have not seen it, here is the one for "Our Day Will Come."

http://amysarmynow.w...ry-mini-review/

#6 ladyamy

ladyamy

No Greater Love Than What I Feel For You

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:29 PM

I will make one of these cheat sheets for "Girl From Ipanema," in a day or two.

For folks who have not seen it, here is the one for "Our Day Will Come."

http://amysarmynow.w...ry-mini-review/

Thank you! I didn't know that Our Day Will Come had been covered so many times. I'd just heard to Ruby And The Romantics and Jamie Cullum's versions and now, of course, Amy's (which is, by far, the best).
By the way, I love the way you write. It's always a pleasure to read your articles.
I’m a firm believer that we all meet up in eternity

#7 gpozzo

gpozzo

I swear I'm gonna love you until eternity...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 12:42 AM

I've already heard "Girl from Ipanema" so many times, and I guess the most famous version of this song is by Frank Sinatra and Tom Jobim. It's a great version, you guys should listen to it! A Song For You is also absolutely beautiful, and I'm sure I'm gonna cry while listening to Amy's voice singing it. :( I never heard the original of "Our Day Will Come", though. In fact, to be honest, I have never heard anything about that song before the news about Lioness. :D

I can't wait to hear Amy covering the first two ones I mentioned. But "ladyamy" is right: "when Amy covers a song, that's not a cover anymore, it's an Amy's song that once was sung by someone else.", and that's the main reason why I love her.

#8 amysarmynow

amysarmynow

You Know I'm No Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 01:09 AM

Hot Off The Press: Cheat Sheet - The Girl From Ipanema

Enjoy.

http://amysarmynow.w...l-from-ipanema/

Edited by amysarmynow, 24 November 2011 - 01:42 AM.

#9 carla spain

carla spain

I love you more than you'll ever know

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 02:53 PM

I'm gonna be waiting to listen to Amy's Songs!

#10 Nasha

Nasha

Amy Amy Amy...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 11:05 PM

I also know all the originals already, and except "The Girl From Ipanema", I have to thank Amy for that ! I love A Song For You and The Girl From Ipanema, and I can't wait to hear Amy's versions... Like some of you already said, she was sooo good at covering a song and making it her own. And yeah, I agree with you, ChipsAndPitta and gpozzo, A Song For You is gonna be a tearjerker, for sure...

Amysarmynow, thank you very much for the cheat sheets, I discovered quite a few versions of the songs I didn't know. And it's always a pleasure to read your articles for me too, by the way !
"I should just be my own best friend"

Amy Winehouse (1983-2011)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users