• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Courtney_Mo

Courtney_Mo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 03:27 AM

I've read several articles/blogs/comments etc online debating how Amy Winehouse will be remembered across the world. Some positive, many negative.As fans we are a little biased, but what is your opinion on the following questions:

Will Amy be remembered in 10 years? If so, how will that memory be different in the UK vs. US and other parts of the world?

I think Amy will be remembered in 10 yrs. I think in the UK she will be remembered as a legend because she really opened the doors for other UK artists. I think her music will be revered in the US but, I'm not sure she will have the same legendary status as say Michael Jackson, Otis Redding, Janis Joplin, Hendrix, or sadly Britney Spears, etc. in the US. Whereas, in the UK she may have a comparable status. I'm not saying she's not talented enough to be considered amongst those artists (she's better than B. Spears anyday). I'm saying her memory will be different. Due to Visa issues and not being well, i don't think she was active enough in the US. Her death didn't get that much TV coverage, documentaries,etc as it did in the UK.

I may be wrong but what are your thoughts?
You took my heart and played the part of little coquette. All my dreams disappeared like the smoke from a cigarette.

#2 W1nEh0use

W1nEh0use

We only said goodbye with words ....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 03:34 AM

Will we still love her tomorrow?

Yes and the day after and the day after that ...

In fact, forever.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Dido will kill you!"

#3 what'sinsideher

what'sinsideher

What's inside her never dies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 05:37 AM

It's hard to know. For us, I know she'll always be remembered as an incredibly talented and lovely person. But I think it's likely that when a lot of other people remember her, it will be for the negative aspects of her personal life. But I think she'll always be iconic. When people see a beehive or big winged eyeliner in 10 years, they'll probably still associate it with Amy. I know there will always be people who appreciate her music and love her for her talent, it just might not be the majority.

"Anyone who sings a tune so sweet is passin' by..."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#4 Amysanchorcat

Amysanchorcat

Hey, little rich girl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,125 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 01:11 PM

To anyone who loves music n anyone wid more than 5 braincells, she will be remember as a musical n lyrical genius, a true natural talent, God given, born to do it, she touched so many ppl wid her music, across age. race, sex, nationality, the lot even some tha biggest stars across tha genres n ages ova las 60 yrz are in awe of her!, i dunno anyone else who has dat effect, bar jacko!!.

Fuck her demons, pure ppl ova da yrz had demons, shdn't be used to define a person, as a person she shd be rememberd for her wonderful character, wid a Beautiful Soul n Heart o Gold Beautiful n sexy young woman, wid a lovin, kind, carin, warm nature, funny, highly intelligent, witty, who oozes charm n charisma, she has got da lot!! x
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] The Only Time I Hold Ur Hand Is To Get The Angle Right

#5 Amy Jenna Harper

Amy Jenna Harper

Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 01:27 PM

She will be remember !!

One name,one word : Amy <3
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#6 Dani14

Dani14

You're the sweetest thing I've ever known

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • LocationGreece/Piraeus

Posted 12 December 2011 - 02:26 PM

One way or another i'm sure she'll be remembered for many years to come by the broader audience. I really hope all the memories will be about her music and i believe so, cause i think there were many artists in the past with drug,alcohol problems but after many years it's mainly their body of work that is remembered. One thing is sure she'll be in my mind 'till my dying day.

60do5Ti.jpg

#7 Marty<3Amy

Marty<3Amy

I'll love you forever my mermaid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 03:44 PM

She will be remembered for ever as a great artsit of this century,as we remember the great artists of the past
Posted Image

"That silent sense of content that everyone gets
Just disappear soon as the sun sets"

#8 tselekoglu

tselekoglu

Amy, Amy, Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:10 PM

In my opinion, she won't be remembered by many people. But we, fans and other jazz lovers will always remember her. And I think, that's the good thing. Coz, when she died, everybody seemed like her huge fan for few weeks but then, they all forgot her. But, we are still listening her songs, watching her interviews, thinking about her, praying for her to be happy, trying to make somebody an Amy lover, etc. And, Amy won't be like MJ. Coz her music's target audience are really less than MJ's. Her music target audience is cool/jazz lover/smart people. Everybody can't understand the music what Amy's done. I'm not decrying MJ, dont let me be misunderstood. I mean, she was more different than every singer of 00s'. She was a Sarah Vaughan, a woman version of Frank Sinatra. Or Ella Fitzgerald, maybe. But Adele will be remember by everybody coz she did something that Amy couldnt. I dont know what she did but I only know that Amy's more talented than Adele. Whatever, for me; I will always remember her. In my birthday, in new year night, in her birthday, in my dreams, in my happy moments, etc. She is always with me/us and will be. She is my/our angel, a saver angel I mean. For me, she is like a mother. Coz you know Im just 15 :P And this article can continue with many examples but I hope, you understand what I really wanna mean. Amy's the best, never forget my mother/angel. RIP
Posted Image
16 letters, 3 words, 5 syllables, 1 woman, a big talent;

Amy Jade Winehouse :missyou:

My Amy Fan Page >> http://www.facebook.com/BritLioness

My Tumblr >> http://winehouseanddelrey.tumblr.com/

#9 ancre

ancre

Just friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:13 PM

For me, for us - the best songwriter of our times, lovely girl with an attitude, style icon. For others - I think she should be remembered 4eva as Monroe, Taylor or Bardot!

#10 Nigel Jam

Nigel Jam

You Know I'm No Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:56 PM

I think I'll always remember her for her songs. Like the Juke Box plays and you hear a Jimi Hendrix and then one of Amy Winehouse tracks like "Back to Black!" she will always be there in the music back catalogue as a classic singer.

What makes a great singer is not nessarily the voice but it's the songs and how different they are and what they say and "Rehab" is certainly unique in lyrical content. 3 Songs that will always definately be played and remembered are "B2B" "Rehab" "Love's a Losing Game!" (that will always be featured on Valentine Compilation CD's!)

Edited by Nigel Jam, 12 December 2011 - 05:16 PM.

#11 SteveV

SteveV

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 05:06 PM

Amy will be remembered as an historic and influential musician by those who know and appreciate good music for a lot longer than 10 years. Many great artists of the past like Charlie Parker and Billie Holiday had short and difficult lives, plagued by addictions. Parker died at 34. These things are known but that's not why they are remembered.

She can't be compared to other pop and rock stars of the past 50 years. She chose a different path, doing music her way. I'm actually pleasantly surprised she was as popular as she was, given the general level of what sells these days. She is absolutely one of a kind. There's jazz, rock, pop, R&B, soul and whatever other genres you can think of. In the future there will be one more genre: Winehouse. She didn't cater to popular tastes. She educated us. She's outside and beyond our pretentious classifications.
"It's not me personally, is it?......I'm just a musician."

http://www.starpulse... - SXSW - video[

#12 JamaicaAndSpain

JamaicaAndSpain

There's this ache in my chest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 05:14 PM

But Adele will be remember by everybody coz she did something that Amy couldnt. I dont know what she did

I think she makes more "mainstream music". You don't have to listen as closely to get the message as you have to do with Amy's songs. I don't know many Adele songs, but I don't think they are as "encoded", you know, the closer you listen, the more you understand of it. Amy was a brilliant writer and you have to interpret certain words and phrases your way. She leaves it to the listener to hear the song he wants them to hear. Most people don't see music that way. They just want to listen without having to think about it too much.
>:-( "These tears won't dry without you, Amy." >:-(

#13 AmyInBlood

AmyInBlood

My Love For You Is Getting Bigger By The Day!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 06:50 PM

She will be remembered as the best artist of the 21st century. She will be remembered as the cat-eyed queen of jazz. She'll be remembered forever believe me. She made a huge impact in music. She was a God sent to the music industry. For me there is no better artist and there will never be another Amy Jade Winehouse!
Oh, God I miss this girl so much! :'-(
Love you Amy!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I love you so much Amy! :D

#14 AmyInBlood

AmyInBlood

My Love For You Is Getting Bigger By The Day!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 06:50 PM

Sorry for the double post.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I love you so much Amy! :D

#15 Mike from NY

Mike from NY

My alcoholic logic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:01 AM

I actually believe she might be better appreciated by future generations than she is now. Many artists ended up that way.
Mike from NY, proud to be a member of Amy Winehouse Forums since Sep 2007.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users