78 replies to this topic

#1 Mint

Mint

This me

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:53 AM

Do you think London was a quintessential part of Amy Winehouse`s character. I think London formed who she was, just as much as anything else. I do not think Amy could have come from any other place in the world.

I remember when I first heard her being interviewed and her accent and personality hiting me. she never tone it down and seemed to come across, well, London.
Jewish migrant stock, Dad a black cab driver, ancestor of a East End market stall seller, she couldn`t be anymore London.
Now, I know there is no such thing as a typical London these days, you can be who you want to be in London {probably another reason Amy`a character & style developed} but the list of traits are London through and though.

I can also make a lot of {admittedly tenuous} comparison between Amy and London. Hard, edgy, effortless cool, real, intimidating, eccentric, cloudy, stark, beautiful, at time stunnings, at times ugly, internally confusing {streets are all over the place} Can you think of any more????

Anyway, getting more towards a point.

As i say, I think the environment created Amy as much anything else. I can imagine her riding the Picadilly or Northern Line {as she must have done a thousands of times} day dreaming, looking out the window, or messing around with friends. The sights, the sounds, the smells, the tastes, the feel of London, they shaped the Amy that we know and love. {and eventually lost}
With no one place to really and be here Amy is at, maybe we should start to make a collection of places that played a part in her life. Places we can go ourselves to connect to the sights, sounds, smells tastes and feel of the city that formed her.

I know Amy had probably been all over the place in London, but what are some places that resonate a moment of Amy`s short life to you, a place you can go and maybe hear the echo of that time there, and connect once again. I know there is nothing like walking around the streets of London with Amy on your iPod. Amy`s being was made from it.

So what places are special to you? Obvious places, not so obvious place, tenious places, not so tenious places, venues, music video locations, B2B era, Frank era, her growing up.

Different moments and places will resonate differently to different people. We all have a favourite era. It would be great to eventually plot them all on a map for visitors who would like to visit those place and reflect. Hear the echos of the Amy`s story there.
I am sure we can add many from the Robert Elms show interview as well.

I will start off with one of my own favourite {typical} Amy moments.
It is a moment that alway makes me smile when I think about it.

When she threw a stone at Dido {poster} yelling "Hate you Dido!"

Happened at 358 Kilburn High Rd, Kilburn, Lahndahhhhhn, NW6 2QH
{Funnily enough, next to a Wine Mart and a music shop}

What places or moments are special to you?

#2 Miss Mermaid

Miss Mermaid

miss ya kid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:53 AM

the hawley arms - i met her there three times - best times of spring/summer 2007

the good mixer - would see her playing pool alot back in feb 2007 - before i ever went and spoke to her. Plus this pub was my last meet with her back in august 2010

inverness street market - where the good mixer is - in the early days she would hang around outside the pubs/restaurants. i vexed her one day - ages before i was a fan or really knew what she was about i was walking to the tube with a co worker and saw her and said 'theres that amy WHITEHOUSE!' - she shouted behind me in her deep voice: 'ITS WINEHOUSE!!!!!!' - i was like 'shit' and walked off quick! LMAO!
Fans - please feel free to beat me :)

and her two camden flats - her being papped on those cobbled stones with those ballet pumps on - magic.

#3 Cynthia

Cynthia

Addicted to her

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:06 AM

Fans - please feel free to beat me :)

Oh, wow. You met her. You're a better Fan than ALL of us here. *rollingeyes*
Amy flies in paradise

#4 JamaicaAndSpain

JamaicaAndSpain

There's this ache in my chest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:07 AM

"Whitehouse" - I love that! :D
>:-( "These tears won't dry without you, Amy." >:-(

#5 amylove

amylove

<3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,480 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:23 AM

I think she was referring to the fact that she didn't know her name in the beginning....

#6 Miss Mermaid

Miss Mermaid

miss ya kid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:26 AM

this is the very reason why i try to not talk about it too much.

you have proved my point - thank you. some people can get funny about it and you are one of those people.

i am not a bigger/better fan than anyone else on here. there are much bigger fans on here than myself.

there will be no more postings about it.

#7 amylove

amylove

<3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,480 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:31 AM

this is the very reason why i try to not talk about it too much.

you have proved my point - thank you. some people can get funny about it and you are one of those people.

i am not a bigger/better fan than anyone else on here. there are much bigger fans on here than myself.

there will be no more postings about it.

I can tell you (almost sure) I am more obsessed with her than you... I am so in love I am BLINDED ;) You keep it real and thanks for that lol

#8 Miss Mermaid

Miss Mermaid

miss ya kid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:36 AM

i shouldnt have said anything with regards to my fave amy places - as people can think that i am boasting about meeting her.

a) i am just a fan like everyone else - i do not know her personally

B) in future i wont answer these threads.

#9 JamaicaAndSpain

JamaicaAndSpain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:54 AM

Oh come on Julie - why do you even care what some people think? They're just jealous. You had the chance to meet her - why not talk about it? There's nothing wrong with that. I am sure there are many people on here (including myself) that love reading those stories.
I don't even see how you can be judged for telling us about meeting her - it's not like you forced her to or told her to hide from the other fans. That's just stupid. Please continue sharing your stories.

[MENTION=1525]Cynthia[/MENTION]: Julie didn't say anything that could make you jump to the conclusion that she might think she's a "bigger fan" than others. She only told us about the times she met Amy, not even made a further comment. She lives in London and met Amy and is even nice enough to tell us about it, she's not boasting. Leave her alone, please.

#10 Miss Mermaid

Miss Mermaid

miss ya kid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:05 PM

Jamaicaandspain - thanks for your kind post xx

#11 Mint

Mint

This me

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:13 PM

Its funny what you said about thinking her name was Whitehouse. The first time I ever saw/heard her was her first appearance on Jools Holland. I thought, I must remember this girls name. I was at a friends house but he was out the room for most of the show so I was watching it alone I remember telling him when he came back about this "Whitehouse girl." Its funny how epic she became to me.
Not as greater story as yours though.

I personally would love to hear every detail of your encounters with "the Whitehouse" Forget the cynical people. This is an Amy Winehouse Forum.

#12 Tiny Penny

Tiny Penny

Play all my records, keep dancing all night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:22 PM

Hey! I love hearing people's personal stories about Amy, whether they are actual meetings or just personal anecdotes about her. [MENTION=1041]julieannboo[/MENTION] please don't stop relpying to threads, I like hearing your stories and you are kind to share them. If I had met her then you guys would never hear the end of it! We all have different experiences and should be able to share them if we wish. It is not a competition as to who is the biggest fan, come on!
Oh and as for London, yes Amy is part of that place... I have never been to Camden but I will be making a trip soon and I have a feeling I will be 'seeing her' at every corner!
I love you in a place where there's no space or time...Forever you will be a true friend of mine:)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#13 JamaicaAndSpain

JamaicaAndSpain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:09 PM

Jamaicaandspain - thanks for your kind post xx

No worries. I hate it when people start acting childish and "attack" others that only have good intentions.
So... please keep on posting :)

#14 Amy Jenna Harper

Amy Jenna Harper

Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:21 PM

julieannboo :Wow, you are lucky to have met her,really :P
I'am glad to here your stories, and I really imagine them,so don't stop writing your stories cause I want to hear more about it :P
As the other persons mentioned ;) (tinny penny and jamaica&spain)

One name,one word : Amy <3
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#15 Mrs. Jones

Mrs. Jones

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:52 PM

This is absurd! Of course everyone should be able to tell stories about Amy...and julieannboo, you work in the Camden area right? You were spot on topic, loved hearing about what Camden means to you, and how it's forever tied to memories of Amy.

Back to the subject: I used to live in London, close to Camden for a while and...well, to be honest with you, I just didn't like Camden that much. I found it a little too trendy sometimes (and the pubs there were expensive), but more importantly I didn't always like the people who lived in Camden, I felt they tried too hard. I had a lot of Camden friends who refused to leave Camden because they were convinced Camden was the best (it's not - London is the best! because there are so many great places it's silly not to try all of them out). There were a lot of wannabees there (people who hang out with musicians and think it will rub off on them and make them talented).
And to be honest, when I first read about Amy in 2003 I thought "oh no! here's another one of these Camden wannabees!"...and then I listened to Frank because I was intrigued, and was jealous that I didn't live in London anymore, because Amy reconciled me with Camden. It's hard to explain., I dunno. Camden's got good sides, but it doesn't necessarily remind me of Amy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users