#16 antceleb12

antceleb12

And I'm singing this song for you...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:52 PM

Great concept, poor execution.

These covers really fall short of a tribute to her musical genius. Her music was more than words, it was the music and how it was arranged. They're not doing her music any justice by altering the style of her music.

"Addicted" remains the closest to the original.

"Monkey Man" and "Valerie" are just embarrassing.
Posted Image

"Amy is amazing. It's as if Bille Holiday and Dianh Washington had a baby and it was raised by Janice Joplin." - jazzblowin on youtube

#17 Cecilia

Cecilia

What kind of fuckery is this?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:01 PM

Great concept, poor execution.

These covers really fall short of a tribute to her musical genius.

I agree with this...

They're not doing her music any justice by altering the style of her music.

I disagree with this. If these bands had done covers of Amy songs in the same style the danger would be that the covers just sound like inferior versions of her songs. Doing something different with them can showcase a band's creativity while paying tribute to the original by showing Amy was an inspiration to them. Often the best covers are those by bands that reinvent a song completely in my opinion. Just look at the covers Johnny Cash did of the Nine Inch Nails song Hurt or Nick Cave's The Mercy Seat. Totally different from the originals, but absolutely brilliant and more than doing the songs justice. Unfortunately from what I can hear of this preview I'm not overly impressed (hence my agreeing with your first statement), but maybe I'll change my mind once I hear the full tracks.

smoke.jpg?t=1397395921

#18 Mrs. Jones

Mrs. Jones

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:10 PM

Completely agree Cecilia, and those are great examples of covers you cited. I think covers should bring the song to a whole new level, make you experience it differently and surprise you...like what Amy did with Valerie. I like the original, but I like what Amy and Ronson did with it too.

I'm not impressed with these covers, and not half as open-minded as you though, as I don't even feel like giving the full tracks a listen...

#19 stranger

stranger

rubber soul

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 12:27 AM

they sound quite rubbish to me... I'm interested to hear Manic Street Preachers' version of Wake up alone because they are a good band, but the rest just sounds ... blah
didn't get a lot in class, but I know it don't come in a shot glass

#20 Tracii

Tracii

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:30 AM

I'm not going to judge these covers right away since i've only heard small bits. But it will be an interesting listen for sure.

#21 antceleb12

antceleb12

And I'm singing this song for you...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:37 AM

I agree with this...

I disagree with this. If these bands had done covers of Amy songs in the same style the danger would be that the covers just sound like inferior versions of her songs. Doing something different with them can showcase a band's creativity while paying tribute to the original by showing Amy was an inspiration to them. Often the best covers are those by bands that reinvent a song completely in my opinion. Just look at the covers Johnny Cash did of the Nine Inch Nails song Hurt or Nick Cave's The Mercy Seat. Totally different from the originals, but absolutely brilliant and more than doing the songs justice. Unfortunately from what I can hear of this preview I'm not overly impressed (hence my agreeing with your first statement), but maybe I'll change my mind once I hear the full tracks.

When it comes to the chords that Amy had in her music, I don't think those should be changed. Many of these covers don't use the same musical progressions, and that shouldn't be changed. If you want to make the song more of a rock-style, that's fine. But they shouldn't alter the musical progressions because that's what the artist wrote.

Changing a song from soul to rock, or pop to reggae is fine if it's done well. But when the music is changed (different chords and such), it doesn't work. Then it's not so much a tribute as it is using new music. As a musician, this drives me up a wall when people don't use the write musical progressions.
Posted Image

"Amy is amazing. It's as if Bille Holiday and Dianh Washington had a baby and it was raised by Janice Joplin." - jazzblowin on youtube

#22 gpozzo

gpozzo

I swear I'm gonna love you until eternity...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 03:40 PM

I love that pic covering this magazine. She looks gorgeous!

"Cuz I miss your ginger hair and the way you liked to dress."

My YouTube Channel

#23 LiamSullivan

LiamSullivan

I love Amy Winehouse.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 951 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:34 PM

The picture during Me and Mr. Jones in the video is absolutely gorgeous. There was one or two covers I thought were okay. Definitely not great, but I'm just glad people care enough about her and her music to cover it.

R.I.P Amy Jade Winehouse. Once in a lifetime voice.
2r4h89d.gif

#24 tselekoglu

tselekoglu

Amy, Amy, Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:49 PM

Only "Wake Up Alone", "He Can Only Hold Her" and "Addicted" are kinda cool. But they all haven't got the soul which Amy used to have in her songs actually. And Some Unholy War cover's singer.. She cannot spell some words, I think. That's why that cover is worst. And Valerie was really bad too.
Posted Image
16 letters, 3 words, 5 syllables, 1 woman, a big talent;

Amy Jade Winehouse :missyou:

My Amy Fan Page >> http://www.facebook.com/BritLioness

My Tumblr >> http://winehouseanddelrey.tumblr.com/

#25 Cecilia

Cecilia

What kind of fuckery is this?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:25 PM

Has anyone got the magazine yet?

Here's some stuff Mark Ronson said in the article:

Mark Ronson claims Amy Winehouse was "too smart and too talented" not to get bored when she was performing.

Amy Winehouse would often "get bored" in the middle of performances.

The 'Back to Black' singer - who died of accidental alcohol poisoning a year ago - was "too smart" to enjoy playing the same songs over and over again, according to her collaborator and friend Mark Ronson.
He said: "She would have moments of f**king brilliance on stage where everybody knew what they were watching.
"Then she'd get a little bored and go into a Lauryn Hill song in the middle of the set. She was too smart and too talented not to get bored."

Mark admits the pair made a lot of the songs for her second album 'Back to Black' in two weeks, but it was only when he listened back that he realised how dark the lyrics were.
Upon playing the songs, he told Q magazine: "That was the first time it sank in. Holy s**t, all those lyrics. It's real emotion. Pain. And she had to live that. All I had to do was make it sound good."

http://www.list.co.u...n-performances/

smoke.jpg?t=1397395921

#26 Tiny Penny

Tiny Penny

Play all my records, keep dancing all night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:43 PM

I got my copy of the magazine yesterday. Forget the CD, the article on Amy is more interesting. Lovely pictures and a really nice and detailed write up about her (over 9 pages). Makes me proud to be a fan and miss her even more.

There are some lovely quotes from Salaam and Nick Godwyn, her first manager as well as Mitch and Ronson and it chronicles her success really well.

I salute Q and hope others will follow with tributes to Amy, tributes she more than deserves.

Not sure about the advert for Jack Daniels which sits opposite the last page though!
I love you in a place where there's no space or time...Forever you will be a true friend of mine:)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#27 Mrs. Jones

Mrs. Jones

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:05 AM

Shame I can't get it over here, would've loved to read the 9 pages about her!...

#28 TBR

TBR

I still wonder 'bout the things you do

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:45 PM

The Tears Dry On Their Own cover by Karima Francis has surfaced on YouTube:

#29 Mrs. Jones

Mrs. Jones

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:13 AM

Here's some stuff Mark Ronson said in the article:

Mark Ronson claims Amy Winehouse was "too smart and too talented" not to get bored when she was performing.

Amy Winehouse would often "get bored" in the middle of performances.

The 'Back to Black' singer - who died of accidental alcohol poisoning a year ago - was "too smart" to enjoy playing the same songs over and over again, according to her collaborator and friend Mark Ronson.
He said: "She would have moments of f**king brilliance on stage where everybody knew what they were watching.
"Then she'd get a little bored and go into a Lauryn Hill song in the middle of the set. She was too smart and too talented not to get bored."

When I read what Mark said about her launching into Lauren Hill out of boredom, I couldn't help but think : "He doesn't get it. Or more importantly he doesn't get HER". Yes, I think Amy may have been bored during concerts, singing the same songs over and over...but I always thought her going into Doo Wop was a nod to Lauren who Amy admired and, and the beat of which is very similar (or sampled) on He Can Only Hold Her...

That's not boredom Ronson, that's fucking genious!!

#30 Elsie

Elsie

eek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:29 PM

When I read what Mark said about her launching into Lauren Hill out of boredom, I couldn't help but think : "He doesn't get it. Or more importantly he doesn't get HER". Yes, I think Amy may have been bored during concerts, singing the same songs over and over...but I always thought her going into Doo Wop was a nod to Lauren who Amy admired and, and the beat of which is very similar (or sampled) on He Can Only Hold Her...

That's not boredom Ronson, that's fucking genious!!

Yeah, it's not like the Lauryn thing was spontaneous, she did on every rendition of He Can Only Hold Her. And it worked perfectly. I always thought Amy's music was often very reminiscent of Lauryn's and if there's one person whose voice and sound hers was similar to, it was definitely Lauryn, not Adele or Duffy.

He still stands in spite of what his Mars bar says.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users