3 replies to this topic

#1 Jayne

Jayne

Never miss a night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,943 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:20 AM

I've searched and can't find any info on the forum but I have just found this as a new book release today:

Garry was the first journalist to interview and publish a profile of the promising, soul-jazz-influenced singer songwriter in a national newspaper in January 2004. He remembers her as funny, warm, charming and brutally, brilliantly, honest. Despite being relatively unknown at the time, she still commanded attention wherever she went: she was charismatic and unique. She wasn't deliberately setting out to attract attention: he describes her face as having that 'somewhat glazed, distracted expression she would often adopt when performing live, as if she had left the gas on and had left her voice to its own devices while she tries to recall for sure.'

Six and half year later, a few hundred metres from the café where Garry interviewed Amy for the first time, Amy was found dead. The inquest concluded it was death by misadventure - three bottles of vodka was too much for a body ravaged by alcohol, cocaine, ketamine, heroine, emphysyma, anorexia and bulimia.

This book is three things: a biography of a famous pop star; a real life modern tragedy and a detective story. We know where and how Amy Winehouse died and we know what killed her - but we don't know why. Why does someone who has everything - talent, integrity, family, friends, looks, charisma, money - commit a slow and inexorable suicide.

Garry is a brilliant, vivid writer who really wants to carry out a forensic search for answers. He will interview family, friends Lily Allen, Peter Doherty, her boyfriend at the time of her death, and her management. He is connected and trusted (Garry is good mates with Amy's career long press officer).

No one wilfully gives up on their life at the age of 27 without one hell of a powerful reason. At the end of this book, her millions of fans are going to know exactly what that reason is

http://www.amazon.co...d/dp/1409109313

Sensitive, in-depth biography of Amy Winehouse by the brilliant and acclaimed author Garry Mulholland.

Garry was the first journalist to interview and publish a profile of the promising, soul-jazz-influenced singer songwriter in a national newspaper in January 2004. He remembers her as funny, warm, charming and brutally, brilliantly, honest. Despite being relatively unknown at the time, she still commanded attention wherever she went: she was charismatic and unique. She wasn't deliberately setting out to attract attention: he describes her face as having that 'somewhat glazed, distracted expression she would often adopt when performing live, as if she had left the gas on and had left her voice to its own devices while she tries to recall for sure.'
Six and half year later, a few hundred metres from the café where Garry interviewed Amy for the first time, Amy was found dead. The inquest concluded it was death by misadventure - three bottles of vodka was too much for a body ravaged by alcohol, cocaine, ketamine, heroine, emphysyma, anorexia and bulimia.
This book is three things: a biography of a famous pop star; a real life modern tragedy and a detective story. We know where and how Amy Winehouse died and we know what killed her - but we don't know why. Why does someone who has everything - talent, integrity, family, friends, looks, charisma, money - commit a slow and inexorable suicide.
Garry is a brilliant, vivid writer who really wants to carry out a forensic search for answers. He will interview family, friends Lily Allen, Peter Doherty, her boyfriend at the time of her death, and her management. He is connected and trusted (Garry is good mates with Amy's career long press officer).
No one wilfully gives up on their life at the age of 27 without one hell of a powerful reason. At the end of this book, her millions of fans are going to know exactly what that reason is.

http://www.play.com/...ingDetails.html
Jayne, proud to be a member of Amy Winehouse Forum since Jul 2007.

#2 ancre

ancre

Just friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:12 AM

Well, it's going to be published by Orion and the publisher has this info:
http://www.orionbook...ks/amy-hardback

But why there's no cover pic shown I don't know - maybe they're late with the release initially planned for October 2012.

By the way have you read "Black" by Busty (journalist of Rock&Folk) published by Naive? The question is probably mostly for French/Belgian forumers 'cause the book is in French.
http://www.naivestor...usty-black.html
It's said to be fiction built around facts and it's on Amy's life.
"I trust my instincts, and that’s what has got me where I am, y’know?" (Amy)

#3 Mrs. Jones

Mrs. Jones

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:47 AM

he describes her face as having that 'somewhat glazed, distracted expression she would often adopt when performing live, as if she had left the gas on and had left her voice to its own devices while she tries to recall for sure.'

haha, this made me laugh, I know exactly what look he's describing here...

---------- Post added at 07:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:42 AM ----------

By the way have you read "Black" by Busty (journalist of Rock&Folk) published by Naive? The question is probably mostly for French/Belgian forumers 'cause the book is in French.
http://www.naivestor...usty-black.html
It's said to be fiction built around facts and it's on Amy's life.

Non! I've never heard of this. Although I don't like the idea of a semi-fictional novel based on (some) facts around Amy's life, from her point of view and other (sometimes) fictional characters, because it reminds me too much of her life in the media: fiction (or building a story around a photo, a rumour, or a doubtful fact)... We need the truth!

#4 MandyP

MandyP

You Know I'm No Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:17 PM

Anyone plan on reading it? If you do, I would be interested to hear opinions of if its worth reading or not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users