24 replies to this topic

#1 mayday

mayday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 08:30 AM

apologies if this thread has been made, i did a quick search on the forum and nothing showed up but anyways, like the title says do you remember where you were when amy died?

i got into her much after her death so what about you guys?

#2 Alfredo_t

Alfredo_t

You Know I'm No Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 09:49 AM

I was at my girlfriend's house. She ran across a news report on the Internet, and she said, "Amy Winehouse died." My response was, "NOOOOO!"

I was shocked and saddend that Amy had finally died, but it was not a complete surprise. I had been following her tragic decline since 2007, and I had a hunch that one day, her luck would run out.

Alfredo_t, proud to be a member of Amy Winehouse Forums since Jan 2008.

#3 amywinehousequeen

amywinehousequeen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 11:31 AM

I was driving to my old next-door neighbours new house. She had seen Amy live in 2007, but she didn't want to go -  her sister dragged her along, it was one of the two Shepherds Bush nights. She said Amy sounded incredible live and she became a big fan. I found out by the radio. I was really shocked and taken aback that she had died, because B2B had been in my family car since 2006 and it was one of our favourite "car journey" albums. After her death, I remember watching all the documentaries about her on telly, and that is when I would say I became a proper fan. xxx

#4 YouShouldBeStrongerThanMe

YouShouldBeStrongerThanMe

I knew you were good, Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 11:37 AM

I was sitting in my old apartment, in my bed and reading the news on my phone while talking to my boyfriend. 

#5 pearljo

pearljo

♪♫♫ vaginal bleeding

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 01:46 PM

Work..on Facebook.  A friend that never posted about Amy posted her favorite Amy song.  I went to a news site and saw the story.  It was a bad day.  A really bad day.

#6 amylove

amylove

<3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,480 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 02:43 PM

I heard about it during my sister's birthday lunch.

#7 KCAmy

KCAmy

Noob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 07:54 AM

Saturday, July 23, 2011:

I was at home, packing for a flight to New York City, to surprise my daughter for her 20th birthday on July 24. As I'm packing that morning for my afternoon flight, my daughter calls me, in tears, saying that a friend texted her telling her that Amy had died. It was just breaking news then, barely a mention on the Internet (had to check it out, because if it's on the Internet, it's true, right?), but it was there and I knew it was true.

I finished packing in a numb and tearful state and my head was reeling the whole flight there. For my daughter's birthday, I had bought her and a friend of hers tickets to Mitch's July 25th show at the Blue Note Jazz Club, just a couple of blocks from where my daughter lived. I had also bought a ticket for myself to join them on this surprise visit. My daughter had gone to the Blue Note, where Mitch would have been rehearsing, when she heard the news, but of course he had already left to return home to London.

Needless to say, it was a strange and bittersweet birthday celebration for my daughter. We kept busy, but kept searching for bits of information about Amy throughout my visit. We tried to console ourselves by saying that this was  Amy's destiny, it was part of some overall cosmic (or divine) plan we did not understand, and all the rest of that kind of talk, but we were utterly heartbroken. And we still are.

• pearljo, Sassy and Birdieava like this

#8 Deep Regret

Deep Regret

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 05:20 PM

I was sitting at home when a family member (who is also a fan) called to tell me. I had made a deliberate effort to not keep up with all the goings on the media reported on her since it was distressing, but even so, I was not surprised when I got the phone call that day. Just deeply saddened. 

"So he tries to pacify her, but what's inside her never dies."  :amy_winking:

#9 amh91

amh91

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 03 September 2015 - 08:21 PM

I was in a shisha cafe with some friends during the long summer after my first year at university. I'd been a big fan of Amy's since I was about fourteen. You Know I'm No Good became one of my all-time favourite songs pretty much from the moment I first heard it and I just always thought she was an incredible artist. Back to Black (both the album and the song) was one of the key ways I'd helped myself recover from anxiety and depression during my final year of sixth form. She managed to put into words a lot of what I was feeling at the time, which was a hell of a lot more than any of my teachers or counsellors, or even my family, were capable of doing, so I always had a large degree of admiration and respect for her. Anyway, I wanted to check my emails on MSN when I happened upon the homepage and saw the announcement that she had died. I felt incredibly upset hearing this, because even though I knew she had problems, I always thought that somehow she'd figure a way through them. When my friends found out, they just laughed and made cruel, crude jokes about her troubles. Dickheads. When I got home, I listened to Back to Black and watched a few of her concerts in tribute. She is, without doubt, my favourite solo artist. Her music continues to intrigue, challenge, and move me. And, above all, I just wish she was still with us. RIP <3

• pearljo, Birdieava, KCAmy and 1 other like this

#10 WhoDat

WhoDat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 04:17 AM

I was at home making a card for a friend whose birthday I was supposed to attend the next day. I heard the news when I went downstairs to make a cup of tea and the radio happened to be on in the kitchen. I was in a bit of shock, tbh. Ran back up to my room and just trawled through whatever news sources I could find to confirm it. Then I just lay in bed and listened to Back to Black in its entirety.

"They laughed when I said I was going to become a comedian. Well, they're not laughing now." - Bob Monkhouse

#11 Mr. Jones

Mr. Jones

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 04 September 2015 - 10:19 PM

El Azteca restaurant Fort Wayne, IN.

I was having lunch with a good friend of mine. I heard about it on tmz.com. The wind was literally taken out of my sails. I miss her everyday. RIP Amy.

#12 racheljaynemermaid

racheljaynemermaid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 06:15 PM

I was at a roller derby show with my two best friends and the dad of one of the friends. It was a pretty unique day. We never go to roller derbies, and we never just hang out with each others' dads. But I think he had invited us to go. Also, MTV's "Made" was filming there that day. I recall finding out on my phone. I think someone had texted me or maybe I had checked Facebook, not sure. But I remember immediately looking up to my friends and telling them. I had been a big fan of hers for years, but I hadn't been keeping up with her much at the end so I didn't really get emotional about it. I never really listened to her music again though. I couldn't bring myself to do it. It wasn't until I saw "Amy" this summer that I cried, and also began listening to her again.

Side note: I happened to be in a unique situation with those two friends when news of Michael Jackson's death was reported. We were all working out together in one of the friend's apartment gym. We had never all three worked out in that gym together before and we never went there again, either. (At least not all together.) I've been a huge MJ fan forever and had actually been going through a spell of listening to him nonstop at that time. My friends and I got together that night and listened to his albums.

• Birdieava likes this

#13 Birdieava

Birdieava

Never miss a night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 11:59 PM

I was at home hanging out in the kitchen with my husband. I got a text from my girlfriend (who had introduced me to Amy's music), and it shattered my world. In pain, and numb at the same time, i just let it seep for a few days. Then I found you guys on this forum. I must have spent months reading everything, watching youtube, sharing stuff and pics with other fans, learning as much as I could about this magnificent human, and my favorite singer and songwriter for always, Amy Winehouse.

"I must be a mermaid. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living."

- Anais Nin 

#14 mayday

mayday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 07:19 AM

Then I found you guys on this forum. I must have spent months reading everything, watching youtube, sharing stuff and pics with other fans, learning as much as I could about this magnificent human, and my favorite singer and songwriter for always, Amy Winehouse.

this is exactly what happened to me once i got into her..

• Birdieava likes this

#15 xxGodisLovexx

xxGodisLovexx

Psalm 46:10

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 05:14 AM

Honestly I wished I was awake when I heard of her passing. I was sleeping and I was already going through something in my personal life and I remember the night before I was watching a video of Amy, when she was singing and she had a cough and she look tired. I was like I can't wait until she pulls through and I get to see her live. Well I fell asleep pretty late 2 am and the next day around 11am I get a text from one of my acquaintance and she says is it true? Did Amy die? If so I'm sorry. I was like what are you talking about? You know they always say she dies , what a sick joke. Nevertheless I looked her up and I was like please no and I read the news on Google Amy Winehouse Dead at 27. My mom got mad at my acquaintance because she says never tell anyone bad news right away especially if they are not awake. Man, but I honesty wished I was awake to hear the news.

John 17:25-26 “Righteous Father, though the world does not know you, I know you, and they know that you have sent me. I have made you known to them, and will continue to make you known in order that the love you have for me may be in them and that I myself may be in them.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users