33 replies to this topic

#16 amylove

amylove

<3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,480 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 07:36 PM

Do you ever wonder about why her tweets were so grammatically incorrect? I don't mean this in a rude way, but half of them look they were written by a nine year old. Then there is this exception: "Mr. and Mrs Robert Rodriguez, would you like to have dinner with my husband and I sometime? Pleeeeease? xx" Do you think most of them were written on her phone? "bbc iplayer WON'T LET ME WATCH EASTENDERS cos i aint in the uk. k. well i'll jus have a lot of catchin up to do when i'm back then.tut" Her twitter feed almost embarrasses me, because I think new fans of hers will find it and presume she was stupid. Does anyone else feel a similar way? xxx

It seems to me she was being humorous a lot of the time. She obviously had an appreciation for language with the types of books she read and the lyrics she wrote (which were not all grammatically correct either). I think it just wasn't important for her to show off her intelligence...she wrote how she talked or felt. Everyone uses slang, it's not a sign of a lack of intelligence to me.

• WhoDat, pattieboyd2 and amywinehousequeen like this

#17 Ava_Grace

Ava_Grace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Posted 12 May 2016 - 07:43 PM

She used slang to shorten words, and being a songwriter she would have a play on words or even tweet lyrics. And let's be honest she perhaps was intoxicated while making some of these tweets. But I noticed that when she was being serious and sending birthday wishes to Lalah Hathaway or saying hi to Liz Taylor for instance she used proper grammar. She was by no means dumb or illiterate. I also like to think she had little to no respect for twitter or social media and she reflected that on her tweets by refusing to use proper grammar.
  • Soul Power, ToKnowHerIsToLoveHer, pattieboyd2 and 1 other like this

#18 Love is a losing game

Love is a losing game

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 12 May 2016 - 08:02 PM

No, I don't@ a man confused. Amy likes to write (and speak) slang/broken English and put an emphasis on her cockney rough attitude. It's so Amy! From down to earth intelligent, at times chav, north London girl, to one of the best music lyricists ever. From cockney to metaphors of poetry, literature. Perhaps a contradictive nature, yet so genius. InnitšŸ˜‰? I like it.

If they're fans they know how she can write. I think she also did it on purpose, to show she didn't give a shit of what people think of her, and was quite proud of the trash TV she likes to watch, or the way she talked. It makes me reflect on the evolution (regression some may call it) of her accent, that the more she was growing up as a person and as a public persona got stronger and stronger. At first casual, but then a choice she made to differentiate herself from the rest of the well-spoken, educated, musicians, people/celebs. Her rock&roll lifestyle and sweetheart caring 'housewife style' when she was cooking meatballs and chicken soup for everybody behind closed doors. x
  • pattieboyd2 likes this

#19 amywinehousequeen

amywinehousequeen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 08:24 PM

No, I don't@ a man confused. Amy likes to write (and speak) slang/broken English and put an emphasis on her cockney rough attitude. It's so Amy! From down to earth intelligent, at times chav, north London girl, to one of the best music lyricists ever. From cockney to metaphors of poetry, literature. Perhaps a contradictive nature, yet so genius. Innit? I like it.

If they're fans they know how she can write. I think she also did it on purpose, to show she didn't give a shit of what people think of her, and was quite proud of the trash TV she likes to watch, or the way she spoke. It makes me reflect on the evolution (regression some may call it) of her accent, that the more she was growing up as a person and as a public persona got stronger and stronger. At first casual, but then a choice she made to differentiate herself from the rest of the well-spoken, educated, musicians, people/celebs. Her rock&roll lifestyle and sweetheart caring 'housewife style' when she was cooking meatballs and chicken soup for everybody behind closed doors. x

That's what I think. Janis said the first time she saw Amy on TV (Jonathan Ross) she didn't recognise her voice. It's understandable. Having to be in the public eye is not something Amy was mentally prepared for so she hid behind all the self-defence tactics from childhood that she knew. It's kind of sad in a way - I sometimes think she gave the press what they wanted to see just so they wouldn't look into her deeply and see how much she was hurting inside. On the twitter note, I'm in no way suggesting Amy is stupid or illiterate - they just always seem so erratic and scattered to me. The ones tweeted at 4am in the morning about her loneliness are really insightful though. Although Twitter is slowly descending now, it was no where near as popular as it is today. The political correctness police would have tried to tear her down if she tweeted so candidly today. xxx

• Love is a losing game likes this

#20 Ava_Grace

Ava_Grace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Posted 12 May 2016 - 08:25 PM

No, I don't@ a man confused. Amy likes to write (and speak) slang/broken English and put an emphasis on her cockney rough attitude. It's so Amy! From down to earth intelligent, at times chav, north London girl, to one of the best music lyricists ever. From cockney to metaphors of poetry, literature. Perhaps a contradictive nature, yet so genius. InnitšŸ˜‰? I like it.

If they're fans they know how she can write. I think she also did it on purpose, to show she didn't give a shit of what people think of her, and was quite proud of the trash TV she likes to watch, or the way she spoke. It makes me reflect on the evolution (regression some may call it) of her accent, that the more she was growing up as a person and as a public persona got stronger and stronger. At first casual, but then a choice she made to differentiate herself from the rest of the well-spoken, educated, musicians, people/celebs. Her rock&roll lifestyle and sweetheart caring 'housewife style' when she was cooking meatballs and chicken soup for everybody behind closed doors. x

I know right, she had this rock n roll lifestyle but she also deep down liked the housewife lifestyle. She was rebellious and did her own thing but still worshiped her father. She was a walking contradiction, yet so herself. She didn't just exist, she had a presence.
  • Love is a losing game likes this

#21 The Other Side

The Other Side

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 690 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 12 May 2016 - 08:51 PM

I think she just wrote the way she spoke. I do that sometimes and it's very grammatically incorrect.

#22 amh91

amh91

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 12 May 2016 - 10:19 PM

I think a bit of it also comes down to her maybe seeing Twitter as something really novel, in that she was able to write down/say whatever popped into her head at a given moment without any censure or second-thought put into it. 140 characters, quickly typed, and it's out there. I think this is a common thing among social media users - I've often written things on Twitter or Facebook without really thinking, just off-the-cuff and spontaneous. I don't for one moment think it has anything to do with her intelligence (which we all know she had in abundance); instead, I just think she liked having this "tool" at her disposal to use whenever and however she wanted. 

#23 WhoDat

WhoDat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 10:57 PM

Honestly, I've seen a lot dumber on Twitter. Being 'good' on Twitter, so to speak, takes a bit of skill and very few people use it in a way that's actually interesting. Most people just use it to spout random, day to day thoughts, which are not exactly going to set the world alight. The people who make the best of Twitter are people who are great with one-liners and concise witticisms, and while Amy was a great songwriter and clearly had a sense of humour, she wasn't a comedian or a social commentator, and she wasn't someone who exactly courted social media. People with strong social media presences have a certain kind of personality and a certain internet savviness, and I don't think Amy was like that.

And, tbh, some people just don't take their internet presence that seriously.

"They laughed when I said I was going to become a comedian. Well, they're not laughing now." - Bob Monkhouse

#24 MingusMonk&Amy

MingusMonk&Amy

MingusMonk&Amy

• Moderators
  • 776 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 22 January 2020 - 12:41 AM

Why is her twitter account still suspended? :angry: I like to read it from time to time...

#25 Tanqueray

Tanqueray

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, England

Posted 30 January 2020 - 08:34 PM

I read somewhere that Twitter suspended the account because it contained words that they donā€™t allow (the ā€˜Nā€™ word apparently). I donā€™t know why they canā€™t just blot out any offensive words and unsuspend it though.

#26 xDetachmentx

xDetachmentx

We both know what it is

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 07:52 AM

They don't have the power to edit tweets. I'm afraid Amy's account won't be unsuspended for a long time, if at all. It was a window into who she was as a person, her thoughts. I'm glad someone had screenshots of everything she tweeted.

#27 catpuss

catpuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 10:08 PM

what does oinka mean?

Have a look at niki Minaj real name is , I heard Amy met her whilst in the Caribbean . Remember she was drunk, she may have got the spelling wrong. Thatā€s what I have always thought it was about

#28 xDetachmentx

xDetachmentx

We both know what it is

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 01:53 AM

I remember this video of Nicki at the Teen Choice Awards in '10 I believe. She'd said she wanted to collaborate with her. I think it's Amy calling herself Oinka (I guess that might've been her old nickname, idk) and asking herself why she's awake. I think she would've called her Nicki, Onika is too personal. Idk though

#29 amyinourhearts

amyinourhearts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 03:28 PM

So they suspended her account? This is quite serious, has anyone saved all her tweets?She wrote them since 2009 and it is one of her legacies. I didn't suspect this was going to happen. I find it so unfair they suspended an account of a dead person.

#30 amyinourhearts

amyinourhearts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 03:34 PM

Have a look at niki Minaj real name is , I heard Amy met her whilst in the Caribbean . Remember she was drunk, she may have got the spelling wrong. Thatā€s what I have always thought it was about

I have read a lot about Amy and I've been a fan since 2006 but I have never heard that story. Where did you read that? Strange that Nicki hasn't talked about that if that happens to be true. 

Anothetr issue, she was drunk the night before her death but but about the CCTV cameras (they can be seen in the photos of her house)? Probably they can shed light on how the bodyguards ,who were supposed to take care of her, actually didn't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users