• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 AmyForever

AmyForever

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 10:45 PM

I saw it 6 times in cinema. I couldn't stop thinking about it, and every time I watched it I just wanted to save her. I saw it the first time during its opening week, and it's stayed with me ever since and I've fallen in love with 'Frank' all over again.

When I got the DVD, I watched it once with the filmmakers commentary, and made my parents watch it too. It broke my heart to see my dad, who used to hear her on the radio and always point out what a distinctive voice she had, start crying at the end. Now I try and just appreciate all the amazing footage of her in the beginning and up until the release of Back to Black. But whenever I think about the film for too long, it literally feels like someone has grabbed my heart and tried stamping on it. It's a great film but I feel like it's going to be difficult to recover from it!!

• melnyk likes this

#2 jasminemarie

jasminemarie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 01 December 2015 - 11:36 PM

ever since i watched it for the first time there hasn't been a day that i haven't thought about her or what could have been. I wish i was there. i haven't really heard about her when she was alive even when she was very famous worldwide so its amazing how she can impact someones life so much even 4 years after she passed away

#3 WhoDat

WhoDat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 11:44 PM

I honestly haven't watched it since the first time. It's just quite sad for me really. I love the first half of the film, with the footage of her mucking about with friends and singing for her own personal enjoyment. She seemed so much happier in those days and if I could stop the film there and have that be the full story, I would. The second half just really upsets me, and I find it super difficult to even think about, let alone watch again.

• melnyk likes this
"They laughed when I said I was going to become a comedian. Well, they're not laughing now." - Bob Monkhouse

#4 AmyForever

AmyForever

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 12:56 AM

I honestly haven't watched it since the first time. It's just quite sad for me really. I love the first half of the film, with the footage of her mucking about with friends and singing for her own personal enjoyment. She seemed so much happier in those days and if I could stop the film there and have that be the full story, I would. The second half just really upsets me, and I find it super difficult to even think about, let alone watch again.

I think I would have saved myself a lot of depressed moods and tears had I not re-watched it! Almost wish I had only watched it once, but I felt so haunted by it.

• melnyk likes this

#5 HiddenTreasures

HiddenTreasures

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 02 December 2015 - 01:56 AM

I saw it 6 times in cinema. I couldn't stop thinking about it, and every time I watched it I just wanted to save her. I saw it the first time during its opening week, and it's stayed with me ever since and I've fallen in love with 'Frank' all over again.

When I got the DVD, I watched it once with the filmmakers commentary, and made my parents watch it too. It broke my heart to see my dad, who used to hear her on the radio and always point out what a distinctive voice she had, start crying at the end. Now I try and just appreciate all the amazing footage of her in the beginning and up until the release of Back to Black. But whenever I think about the film for too long, it literally feels like someone has grabbed my heart and tried stamping on it. It's a great film but I feel like it's going to be difficult to recover from it!!

I felt the EXACT same way. I went to the cinema 4 times to see it, and by the 3rd visit I could pretty much remember what line was going to come up next, what sequence was about to follow. It just hit me so incredibly hard that I wanted to go and watch it again and again just to try and stay within that deep personal bubble that the film puts you in. Even before DVD release I watched it again on a flight. For ages after the cinema release I'd just feel so...poignant? I took my grandma to see it as she was a huge fan like me, and throughout found it hard to accept the transformation that was taking place; she burst into tears at the very end. Even now just typing this it is SO HARD to process, because the footage is so beautiful and hard hitting, but so hard to accept in the 2nd half. It's just always lurking in the back of my mind :( 

#6 amywoo

amywoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 02 December 2016 - 07:15 PM

I first started taking an interest in amys life after watching the documentary on TV earlier this year and i've probably watched it about 7 or 8 times now, when i first watched it i just felt really sorry for her but every time i watch it now it is really quite painful to watch because it feels like i'm watching the life of a friend be destroyed. I think one of the reasons it hits me so hard is because when watching the first half you really feel like you know her intimately. btw is it worth buying the dvd for the filmmakers commentary or not   

#7 The Other Side

The Other Side

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 690 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 02 December 2016 - 09:16 PM

I watched it once in the cinema. Me and my mom went, she wasn't really a big fan, but had always felt sorry for her. An old woman on the row behind me fell asleep, lol.

I was very emotional afterwards

• melnyk likes this

#8 DARE TO BE D

DARE TO BE D

You Know I'm No Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 09:50 PM

I have watched it many times as well.most of the time I don't go past st Lucia, I know what's coming and it will make me sad every time. Something has stuck out to me about the part when she is coming out of the pub and you hear singing still friends and realize Blake is behind her and back in her life. The next pictures are of Amy & Blake going down the stairs , and it hit me that it is exactly what happened. Ironic..
  • melnyk likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users