Photo
- - - - -

Unpopular opinions about Amy Winehouse (thread)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 LuckyHorse

LuckyHorse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 16 March 2021 - 04:16 AM

Share some unpopular opinions about Amy :)

#2 LuckyHorse

LuckyHorse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 16 March 2021 - 04:18 AM

I HATED Kapadia's Amy (2015) documentary! I found it very intrusive and inappropiate when they used unflattering pictures, of Amy in her home! Totally unnecessary and no different from the tabloids they claim to criticize!

#3 MingusMonk&Amy

MingusMonk&Amy

MingusMonk&Amy

• Moderators
  • 776 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 17 March 2021 - 11:43 PM

My complaint would be bad sound quality: adhering to the loudness wars (I really hate this), digital clipping, unnatural tonality, occasionally sloppiness like bad frequency response, noise reduction etc. The odd choices of a certain mixing engineer.

I actually really like the Kapadia doc, but I have two complaints: 1) The final sequence with the funeral should not have been included at all. I'm especially upset that they included the footage of her body being carried out of her apartment. I always keep my eyes closed during this whole chapter. 2) They should have included a chapter about her gigs in Brazil, Jan 2011. They were BRILLIANT!

#4 Gus×Wino

Gus×Wino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 18 March 2021 - 09:42 AM

2) They should have included a chapter about her gigs in Brazil, Jan 2011. They were BRILLIANT!

I totally agree with that. Wish they had included footage from these gigs.
  • LuckyHorse likes this

#5 SarahMermaid

SarahMermaid

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 18 March 2021 - 10:29 AM

They never release the stuff we really want like North Sea Jazz festival or Union Chapel gig, instead they stick to Shepherds Bush - recently added to streaming services.

I liked the documentary too. Wish there had been a little bit more focus on how dire the music industry was and the effect Amy had on other musicians. I wish her brother had agreed to be interviewed- that would’ve been interesting. And yes a little on early January gigs, although I don’t buy it at all that she was happy. I don’t like how they ended it with Blake just disappearing after the divorce, when we all know they were together again in 2010 briefly. I actually wish he had spoken more (or they kept it out). Not his biggest fan to say the least lol). I dread if they make a film because I think Mitch will want to paint a different picture.

I think the Brazil shows are hit and miss. I find them hard to watch as she just wasn’t happy, on occasions you see her getting upset if she thinks she didn’t sing it right. I remember at the time because she was touring again everyone thought that new music was in the way and she would play new stuff...I think everyone including Amy was sick of hearing b2b. Would still kill for decent audio though.

Edit: I meant to add that I’m still sad she never got to finish the James Bond song. I remember Salaam saying in an interview that Mark didn’t know how to record Amy. I think Mark missed a golden opportunity to just record something with her, even if it wasn’t for Bond.

#6 Burina

Burina

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Posted 18 March 2021 - 12:35 PM

I am annoyed there was nothing from Dionne in the Amy docu. The fact that they didn't even approach her shows me there was an agenda with the docu from the start. I'm also pissed off at Kapadia saying that nobody cared about Amy until his film got made. She was iconic all over the world. How dare he. 

#7 LuckyHorse

LuckyHorse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 20 March 2021 - 01:25 AM

I totally agree with that. Wish they had included footage from these gigs.

I am annoyed there was nothing from Dionne in the Amy docu. The fact that they didn't even approach her shows me there was an agenda with the docu from the start. I'm also pissed off at Kapadia saying that nobody cared about Amy until his film got made. She was iconic all over the world. How dare he.

Yes, I totally agree that there was an agenda from the start and these stories did not fit the narrative.

#8 SarahMermaid

SarahMermaid

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 20 March 2021 - 12:04 PM

Dionne actually confirmed that she didn’t want to be part of the Amy doc, maybe too emotionally raw for her. She said she was gonna watch it though, so she didn’t have anything against it.
  • MingusMonk&Amy likes this

#9 HelloSailor

HelloSailor

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 07:56 AM

One of mine is that I don't like her later look (boob-job, poney tail, dating Reg). 

And she definately did NOT look healthy before her death, despite what some people say. Paradoxically, I think she looked better in 2007 (even when using heroin, just before Blake went to prison), than any time after that. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users