Photo
- - - - -

What do you all think of the upcoming biopic?

biopic movie Marisa Abela film

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#16 amyinourhearts

amyinourhearts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 12 January 2024 - 09:43 PM

Well, maybe we should wait to see the whole thing before judging. What do you think? Anyways, I like the fact Amy is "on the spot" again thanks to this movie. Talents like her's should never be forgotten, she changed the music industry radically. I just hope 2 things:

1) Mitch W. is not involved in this. Otherwise, I wouldn't pay a penny for this.

2) They portrait Amy showing her inteligence and talent. I am not interested very much in her personal life, her privacy was way too much invaded during her lifetime (and known by everyone).

• LuckyHorse, ivycherrywine, TakeTheBox03 and 3 others like this

#17 TakeTheBox03

TakeTheBox03

Tony Bennett SAID MY NAME

• Moderators
  • 713 posts
  • LocationIm Usonian!

Posted 12 January 2024 - 10:32 PM

Well, maybe we should wait to see the whole thing before judging. What do you think? Anyways, I like the fact Amy is "on the spot" again thanks to this movie. Talents like her's should never be forgotten, she changed the music industry radically. I just hope 2 things:

1) Mitch W. is not involved in this. Otherwise, I wouldn't pay a penny for this.

2) They portrait Amy showing her inteligence and talent. I am not interested very much in her personal life, her privacy was way too much invaded during her lifetime (and known by everyone).

1. LOL, he said he wanted "George Clooney" to play him, ungrateful ass.

2. true

• RonaldMi, ThomasKago and AustinAgog like this

I was hit by a car once on my bike, but I still rode home. - AJW

#18 TakeTheBox03

TakeTheBox03

• Moderators
  • 713 posts
  • LocationIm Usonian!

Posted 12 January 2024 - 11:29 PM

Best thing ive seen so far this year

Attached File  Screenshot 2024-01-12 5.27.59 PM.png   141.86KB   5 downloads

• LuckyHorse, RonaldMi and ThomasKago like this

#19 TakeTheBox03

TakeTheBox03

• Moderators
  • 713 posts
  • LocationIm Usonian!

Posted 12 January 2024 - 11:35 PM

Attached File  Screenshot 2024-01-12 5.34.54 PM.png   241.08KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Screenshot 2024-01-12 5.30.36 PM.png   330.24KB   1 downloads

#20 amy4everrrr

amy4everrrr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 January 2024 - 03:53 AM

I hope that the movie will mostly focus on Amy's artistry and remarkable talent... the Amy I read about in memoirs and the Amy as she was: a beautiful soul. The director isn't receiving any positive attention because of her past (which I can see why...), and the actress does not resemble Amy in the slightest! I thought the "I ain't no Spice Girl" line was funny.

I'm secretly hoping with this upcoming biopic they release some new material. Here's to wishing... 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47xqw4e7jrjp30im1ea9

#21 Uno

Uno

It's bricked up in my head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 13 January 2024 - 06:52 AM

Fair play to whoever edited that trailer. It wasn't as terrible as I thought it was going to be.

But is that Amy's singing voice in the trailer? It's either a different take of Back to Black, or someone else singing. 

I hope they use Amy's singing voice in the film. That was the biggest flaw of the Judy Garland biopic.

Without the magic of Amy's voice, this film will feel even more unjustified. 

Marisa Abela sings every song in the biopic, here's an excerpt (the last couple of paragraphs) from yesterday's interview with the director, Sam Taylor-Johnson, where she talks about the Back To Black Trailer ...

The trailer ends with Marisa Abela singing the title refrain of the film, 'Back To Black'. It wasn't always expected to work out that way. "When we first talked about it, my first question to [Marisa] was, 'Can you sing?' And she said, 'I can't'," Taylor-Johnson recalls. "I was thinking, maybe we'll use Amy's voice throughout, and we'll do it that way. She then went off after that audition – irrespective of whether she knew she'd got the part – and started training her voice." By the time Abela undertook a test recording at Abbey Road ("You can imagine how nerve-racking that is"), it was clear that she could pull it off. "Now she sings the entire movie, beginning to end," marvels the filmmaker. "I mean, it's a huge feat."

There was no higher bar to cross than winning over the real Winehouse's collaborators. "Amy's original band got back together, and we all went into the recording studio," she says. "Dale [Davis] was there, her bass guitarist, and Ade [Omotayo, singer], and we just all stood there and just went, 'Fuck!' She's incredible. They didn't know what to expect. They were just brimming with emotion, because it's such a multi-layer of feelings for the people who were close to her and worked with her." Throughout the shoot, the band kept coming back for more. "A lot of the times they would just actually show up on filming days when we were filming music scenes, to just sit and experience that."

You can read the full interview here https://www.looper.c...-back-to-black/

• RonaldMi and ThomasKago like this
Amy, if you are up there listening, thank you for sharing the incredible soundtracks of your life ...

#22 Fierce

Fierce

Play dirty.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 13 January 2024 - 09:13 AM

Dazed article describes what I feel about this project... https://www.dazeddig...inehouse-biopic

• RonaldMi and ThomasKago like this

#23 milobax

milobax

memories mar my mind

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 13 January 2024 - 09:50 PM

Fair play to whoever edited that trailer. It wasn't as terrible as I thought it was going to be.

But is that Amy's singing voice in the trailer? It's either a different take of Back to Black, or someone else singing. 

I hope they use Amy's singing voice in the film. That was the biggest flaw of the Judy Garland biopic.

Without the magic of Amy's voice, this film will feel even more unjustified. 

Not her voice, from what I know. There were singing lessons involved for the actress playing Amy, so I'm assuming the whole movie is relying on essentially covers of her songs.

• TakeTheBox03, RonaldMi and ThomasKago like this

#24 milobax

milobax

memories mar my mind

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 13 January 2024 - 09:54 PM

Okay I'm going to pretend this doesn't exist. Mortifying!!

Would've loved if this had been approached in a more experimental way like Todd Haynes' I'm Not There.

It doesn't have anything to do with Amy, the way I see it. It's just impersonation and fiction.

Target audience is probably casual fans and potential new fans anyway, not devotees.

I hope it's not too sleazy.

I agree! Biopics are all the rage right now, but they're not really a homage to the artist rather than a way for studios to push out another Hollywood-ized version of their career. An experimental film would be very nice to see about Amy, but unfortunately I think she's too big of an artist where big movie studios still want a piece of her after her death.

• MingusMonk&Amy, ivycherrywine, TakeTheBox03 and 2 others like this

#25 loveAMYforever

loveAMYforever

And Now, The Final Frame

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 January 2024 - 12:55 PM

Kapadia's film was great, even if some things were edited incorrectly (allegedly). The Back to Black movie seems terrible, Marisela Abela doesn't look like Amy and can't sing like her.
I wrote to production at the time that I thought Carol Schuler would be a good choice. Below are two links where you can take a look for yourself, I would be interested in your opinion:

The Blake depicted is too fat and old. When Amy got a tattoo, she wore her hair long and not in a beehive. We're going to see a movie that's to Mitch's liking, and the flashbacks look like they're recreated from pictures (which isn't anything new since Amy's family was barely present at the time).

• LuckyHorse, ivycherrywine and ThomasKago like this

#26 JTWR

JTWR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 February 2024 - 10:06 PM

Incredible casting tbh………
Smh.
  • TakeTheBox03 likes this

#27 TakeTheBox03

TakeTheBox03

• Moderators
  • 713 posts
  • LocationIm Usonian!

Posted 10 February 2024 - 10:08 PM

Incredible casting tbh………
Smh.

haha. 

#28 TakeTheBox03

TakeTheBox03

• Moderators
  • 713 posts
  • LocationIm Usonian!

Posted 27 March 2024 - 07:15 PM

new update. I am getting more hopeful of this movie. of course I'd rather have Amy's vocals, but it seems better. the new trailer uploaded by @amywinehouse.uk on instagram had my hopes going through the roof.

#29 loveAMYforever

loveAMYforever

And Now, The Final Frame

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 March 2024 - 07:51 AM

BACK TO BLACK - The beginning of Amy WInehouse's incredible career - Film Clip - YouTube

The new trailer shows Mariela sings Stronger than me at Ronnie Scotts? 

RONNIE SCOTT'S NOT THE SPOT FOR AMY - Mirror Online

• ivycherrywine and TakeTheBox03 like this

#30 TakeTheBox03

TakeTheBox03

• Moderators
  • 713 posts
  • LocationIm Usonian!

Posted 28 March 2024 - 07:29 PM

yes, this is what I like!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: biopic, movie, Marisa Abela, film

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users