15 replies to this topic

#1 amyinourhearts

amyinourhearts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 14 April 2024 - 05:34 AM

The Biopic didn't go wrong as I thought.

I've just seen the movie at ShowCase in Haedo, Buenos Aires. There were quite a lot of people in the room watching the film (considering it was Saturday night and not a crowded cinema haha). Let's look at the bright side: everyone is talking about Amy again thanks to this movie.

First of all I want to highlight the adaptability of Marisa to embody Amy in both stages -Frank and B2B- the difference in her appearance was quite notorious. As for the other characters, I didn't see a marked resemblance with the real people (probably this was the director's idea). For instance, Blake in the movie is more muscular and much more sober than the real one (at least what I remember from 2007). He is not shown as the "devil": At one point Amy in jail (Marisa) says Blake is not the responsible of her addiction (I don't agree with this at all!). It's like the director wanted to please Amy's relative ones. In Argentina we have a saying that illustrates this very well: "quiere quedar bien con el Dios y con el Diablo" "She wants to please both God and the Devil."haha...

Nick Shimansky also looks different than the real one. As for Janis: she is very similar but when the movie recreates the Grammy's scene and Marisa finishes her speech, Janis left the stage very quickly (so I think they didn't take Janis'MS into consideration). Regarding Mitch... the film shows a little bit of her selfishness and his willing to fulfil Amy's desires. The film lets the viewer clear that Mitch was Amy's father and hence, with some rights. By the same token, it shows an adult Amy responsible for her choices... I don't agree with this framing at all.

As for Marisa, I was amazed by her acting specially her singing skills. Let's be honest: it's almost impossible to find an actress that looks like and AND sings like Amy. Some people on social media say singing was too risky for her, but I think it proves Marisa's adaptability. She sings several songs: What Is It About Men (acoustically), Stronger, I heard Love is Blind, Fuck Me Pumps, Losing Game, Back To Black, Tears Dry (last song) etc. I am not very sure about Amy's songs copyright issues but at one time the real 'Know You Now' tune is played in one scene at a bar (it was very comforting listening to Amy's vocals actually).My favourite scene was Amy at Glastonbury coming down to the crowd to sing Me and Mr Jones (even though Marisa acted more drunk than what was this gig in reality). The backshot were very realistic. This was such a perfect choice and it broke my heart: this was the video I was watching when I found out that Amy died back in 2011...

As for Amy's death and final scene: There is no explicit scene. Amy appears in her "new" spacious home, recently moved and going upstairs (probably to her bedroom?) singing "Tears Dry" along with a legend that reads what happened on the 23rd July. There's no mention of Belgrade which is remarkable too! Marisa embodies very well the '2011' version with the dyed hair and healthier appearance. However, she should have put on more weight to accurately depict Amy in 2011. In addition, Amy finding out about Sarah Spin's pregnancy was very accurate: I believe some people forget about this piece of news back in 2011 and this might have had a terrible impact on her... After this upstairs scene, there is a flashback of Amy at Grammys 2008 singing the same song. This was very well done and emotional!

Some moments were a bit "weird" at least for me (Amy's fan since 2007): The famous perfomance at Shepherds Bush Empire shows Amy singing "Greater Love" which is odd because she never sang that song in her B2B days (neither in this particular gig). A visit by Amy and Blake to the London Zoo is also strange (I have never heard about them going to a zoo, probably this part is related to the 2007 TBA interview in which Amy is at a zoo). Blake leaving the flat and going to the jail was also weird: Amy runs like a paranoid behind him (I don't remember reading that back in the day so I think this was created by the director).

Another moment that drew my attention but it is very moving at the same time: Ava, her beloved bird, is with her throughout the movie (well, maybe it can be considered a symbol but in reality Ava died before Frank's release...). I say 'moving' because Amy had herself a bird in one of her tattoos and her singing reminds me of a beautiful and eternal bird (sorry I don't want to cry haha)

Some scenes in the movie were combined with real footage (for example Jonathan Ross asking questions, Cindy Lauper and Miley saying the winner or Natalie Cole and Tony Bennett presenting the award) which makes the movie a little bit more truthful to reality. Real pictures of both album's covers were also included. Besides, I am pretty sure her Camden house back in 2008 (the one with the black fence on the front) is exactly the same!!
As you may have heard, the film revolves around Amy's relationship with Blake and how love can emotionally (and physically) destroy people. Media harrassment which was considered 'common' at the time (with photographers invading Amy's privacy at ay time) was also shown but NOT denounced. Reg Traviss is not mentioned at all and Amy's passing is showed as a direct consequence of her divorce (but, technically speaking, there were 2 years between the divorce in 09 and Amy's passing -and her trip to Saint Lucia that helped her to quit hard drugs which was not mentioned either-).

Regarding the transition between 'Frank' and 'Back To Black', the film shows how the management team blames Amy of not having stage presence (because of the guitar). I don't remember reading this before...

I would have liked some celebrities Amy worked with were, at least, mentioned in the movie (such as Prince, Rolling Stones or Mark Ronson). The truth is, several things and people were present in Amy's life and it is really impossible to include them all in just a movie.

Finally, I would like to say embodying someone like Amy is almost an impossible task. She is an icon and nobody is like her (even today with a lot of singers who imitate her). I actually remember thinking in 2007 how unique she was. I was right. 12 years have passed since her passing and we never had someone as disruptive as Amy in terms of talent, style and personality. So my suggestion is: watch the movie without any prejudices or TikTok videos 'bias'. Consider what it is: just a movie -a tribute- which is clearly supervised by Mitch and an actress-Abela- who pretends to show us -and the generations who didn't know Amy- her soul and authenticity.

PLEASE share your thoughts after watching the movie, probably I am the only one who approves of this production. I am not 100% convinced of it though... Just a 70%. Prefer 'Amy' by Kapadia a thousand times.
I would love to read your interpretations and views on it. Exchanging opinions enrich this beautiful forum and our knowledge of Amy's life and artistry :)

Attached Files

• LuckyHorse, KemppiBiz, TakeTheBox03 and 2 others like this

#2 amyinourhearts

amyinourhearts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 14 April 2024 - 02:41 PM

https://youtube.com/...7Db3CUjqhXsKl8A There is no (Greater Love)

• TakeTheBox03, yourshadowcoversme914 and Carlo20 like this

#3 TakeTheBox03

TakeTheBox03

Tony Bennett SAID MY NAME

• Moderators
  • 728 posts
  • LocationIm Usonian!

Posted 14 April 2024 - 03:29 PM

YAY. Im so glad for you! not reading this yet! but Im glad!

• amyinourhearts likes this

I was hit by a car once on my bike, but I still rode home. - AJW

#4 ivycherrywine

ivycherrywine

Paradise

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 14 April 2024 - 03:31 PM

When she sings "there" and "thrill" she does sound like Amy!

• TakeTheBox03 likes this

moon spilling in 

#5 TakeTheBox03

TakeTheBox03

• Moderators
  • 728 posts
  • LocationIm Usonian!

Posted 14 April 2024 - 03:55 PM

When she sings "there" and "thrill" she does sound like Amy!

true! the video playing of her is sad to look at though.

• ivycherrywine, yourshadowcoversme914 and Carlo20 like this

#6 Carlo20

Carlo20

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 14 April 2024 - 03:55 PM

Thank you for sharing this. The singing seems indeed more convincing here than in the previous clips.
  • amyinourhearts, TakeTheBox03 and yourshadowcoversme914 like this

#7 TakeTheBox03

TakeTheBox03

• Moderators
  • 728 posts
  • LocationIm Usonian!

Posted 14 April 2024 - 03:56 PM

love that enunciation of "THREEEAHLL" really encapsulates amy!

• amyinourhearts and ivycherrywine like this

#8 TakeTheBox03

TakeTheBox03

• Moderators
  • 728 posts
  • LocationIm Usonian!

Posted 14 April 2024 - 03:56 PM

Thank you for sharing this. The singing seems indeed more convincing here than in the previous clips.

yes! very much so!

• Carlo20 likes this

#9 lapiatanga

lapiatanga

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 15 April 2024 - 10:50 PM

que bueno encontrar alguien de argentina en este foro!

#10 amyinourhearts

amyinourhearts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 15 April 2024 - 11:02 PM

que bueno encontrar alguien de argentina en este foro!

Hola! Si!!!! es genial! Aguante! hace cuanto no me topaba con alguien de aca jaja. Sabes que tu nombre de usuario me suena familiar... puede ser que hayas estado en el pasado en el Foro, o algun canal de YouTube o algo por el estilo?

• lapiatanga and TakeTheBox03 like this

#11 amyinourhearts

amyinourhearts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 15 April 2024 - 11:03 PM

true! the video playing of her is sad to look at though.

Simple. Because Amy is too huge to imitate. Must have been a challenge really...

• LuckyHorse and TakeTheBox03 like this

#12 amyinourhearts

amyinourhearts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 15 April 2024 - 11:04 PM

yes! very much so!

I am glad you are starting to see things from another perspective. Let me know when you watch the movie darling! I want to read your thoughts on it.

#13 lapiatanga

lapiatanga

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 April 2024 - 12:42 AM

Hola! Si!!!! es genial! Aguante! hace cuanto no me topaba con alguien de aca jaja. Sabes que tu nombre de usuario me suena familiar... puede ser que hayas estado en el pasado en el Foro, o algun canal de YouTube o algo por el estilo?

hace unos años que estoy aca. hice un par de posteos. pero ultimamente no participo mucho

• amyinourhearts likes this

#14 TakeTheBox03

TakeTheBox03

• Moderators
  • 728 posts
  • LocationIm Usonian!

Posted 16 April 2024 - 12:54 AM

hace unos años que estoy aca. hice un par de posteos. pero ultimamente no participo mucho

Es tan bueno tenerte de regreso, ángel  :wub:  :wub:

• lapiatanga and ivycherrywine like this

#15 lapiatanga

lapiatanga

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 April 2024 - 09:12 AM

Es tan bueno tenerte de regreso, ángel  :wub:  :wub:

vos tambien sos de argentina?