Back To Black (20th Anniversary Edition)

Hello All! Long Time No See :slight_smile:

I woke up this morning to the news of there being a new reissue of Back To Black for its 20th anniversary. There has been a track called “Tears Dry - Alternate Demo” on streaming today and also, Do Me Good, Close To The Front, and some other unheard demos are being released. I am on the verge of tears as I never would have thought that Amy’s estate would release anything else. We finally get to hear these tracks at full quality IN FULL after so many years. What do you guys think about this?

5 Likes

Here is the full tracklist: 

 

 

Disc 1–Back To Black

 

1 ‘Rehab’
2 ‘You Know I’m No Good’
3 ‘Me & Mr Jones’
4 ‘Just Friends’
5 ‘Back To Black’
6 ‘Love Is A Losing Game’
7 ‘Tears Dry On Their Own’
8 ‘Wake Up Alone’
9 ‘Some Unholy War’
10 ‘He Can Only Hold Her’
11 ‘Addicted’

 

 

Disc 2–B Sides, Bonus Tracks & Demos

 

1 ‘Valerie’ (Live at BBC Radio 1 Live Lounge)
2 ‘Cupid’
3 ‘Monkey Man’
4 ‘Hey Little Rich Girl’
5 ‘You’re Wondering Now’
6 ‘To Know Him Is To Love Him’
7 ‘You Know I’m No Good’ (feat. Ghostface Killah)
8 ‘Do Me Good’
9 ‘Close To The Front’
10 ‘Rehab’ (Demo Version)
11 ‘I’m No Good’ (‘You Know I’m No Good’ – Original Demo)
12 ‘Fuckery’ (‘Me & Mr Jones’ –Original Demo)
13 ‘I’ve Been Drinkin’’ (‘Just Friends’ –Alternative Version)
14 ‘Back To Black’ (Original Demo)
15 ‘Love Is A Losing Game’ (Original Demo)
12 ‘Tears Dry’ (Alternative Demo)
17 ‘Some Unholy War’ (Down Tempo)

 

 

Disc 3 –Live From Paradiso Amsterdam / February 8th 2007

 

1 ‘Addicted’
2 ‘Just Friends’
3 ‘Tears Dry On Their Own’
4 Cherry’
5 ‘Fuck Me Pumps’
6 ‘He Can Only Hold Her / Doo Wop (That Thing)’
7 ‘I Heard Love Is Blind’
8 ‘Wake Up Alone’
9 ‘Back To Black’
10 ‘You Know I’m No Good’
11 ‘Me & Mr Jones’
12 ‘Rehab’
13 ‘Love Is A Losing Game’
14 ‘Valerie’

2 Likes

 

 

i’m so glad that we’re finally getting a high quality version of this, we only had a low quality snippet before from Salaam’s instagram and the just friends demo (along with the new tears dry one that i hadnt heard before that came out today) both sounded like they belonged on Frank

 

also - they found Addicted from Paradiso finally? im really happy with this

 

 

side note, is the tears dry demo being released as a single too? or did it just come out early? cause that’s all that’s available right now i think

 

i’m so glad that we’re finally getting a high quality version of this, we only had a low quality snippet before from Salaam’s instagram and the just friends demo (along with the new tears dry one that i hadnt heard before that came out today) both sounded like they belonged on Frank

 

edit: I found this link early on youtube (if the rest are being released in October that is) but it doesn’t seem to be working yet / nor linked to an album https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-v3sAzLX30

1 Like

Awww the Tears demo brought tears to my eyes. The calmness. Such laid-back cool vibes. A gem for sure!

3 Likes

I’m a bit hazy on the details, so someone who knows better please correct me.

We had close to the front + do me good + Paradiso concert already right?

 

The only unheard content (apart from instagram story snippets) is Fuckery, Ive Been Drinkin and Tears Dry alt demo?

 

So basically the only fully new stuff is a few demos Salaam gave up?

Which is v cool of him ofc and Im grateful for anything, but I really hope theres still more stuff out in the ether somewhere and this isn’t it forever :frowning:

 

I feel like if they were sitting on anything else, they would’ve released it by now.

1 Like

i was pretty sure that the demos of me & mr jones and just friends were these two already on youtube (from 2005 in low quality) but we were just getting the studio versions in high quality https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0SgIArdiaU and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWnAPFXCD1I - but then i’d never heard the tears dry demo that came out today before, so who knows?

 

there’s also a really nice demo of addicted from this same recording session that had slightly different production and sounded cool but it was only low quality with talking over it, but they didn’t include that one in the album

 

yeah i think you’re right about the others already being available

1 Like

I’m a little confused about the track listing… The physical versions don’t list the Ghostface Killah remix but the Apple Music version does? Also, if the Rehab, Back to Black, and Love is a Losing Game demo’s are the same as the ones we’ve had on streaming for years, why not make them playable with the new Tears Dry version? Same question goes for Cupid, You’re Wondering Now etc… Cus from what I know the only “studio”
versions of these are on the original Back to Black deluxe/b-sides album. Such strange choices on their part as usual

1 Like

They always over hype and tease everything and give crumbs. Music video photos stills. Unreleased music video footage. This might be the the most substantial release since Lioness but I roll my eyes at unreleased. Those familiar with Amy’s work have already heard the “Unreleased”.  Hope the demos are truly unreleased. The ZOETROP does look cool. 

1 Like

do me good and close to the front were on the cd1 and cd2 of the rehab uk maxi single cds. They also put do me on the 7 inch boxset but close to the front hasn’t gotten any other release till now :slight_smile:

 

finally logged back on to this website after years

1 Like

For the Paradiso Concert the audio of Addicted hasn’t been released before. I’m hoping for the bsides and the album as a whole gets a remaster as well. For a 20th anniversary edition of an album I think it’s perfect! I’m sure they’ll continue releasing more material as time goes on, this is the start of a better era!

1 Like

Just can’t believe it’s been 20 years since this album came out.

1 Like

I am actually happy with this release! I was a little on the fence at first, but honestly I feel that any kind of release is a positive at this point. For the longest time we went with no posts on social media, store updates were nearly nonexistent, and it felt like Amy was being… forgotten in some ways, by those responsible for her keeping her image, music, and name alive. So at this point, I think I’d be happy with ANYTHING. The Zoetrope is pretty sweet, everyone has to admit. If you guys didn’t notice, there are basically GIFs on the thing as it spins with some iconic Amy moments. I absolutely LOVE that, definitely one of the coolest things I’ve seen on vinyl. I *do* think the merch could be a little better, or at least some more options. Is it the 20th anniversary after all. I’m of the mind that some material, releases, and Amy news is better than the NOTHING we were given for a decade or so. I’ll be picking some of this up for sure.

EDIT: Yes I was today years old when I found out what a zoetrope was, LOL. At least I can learn!! HAHA! Still, I stand by it being a really cool thing that I hadn’t seen until today!

2 Likes

Why didn’t they bother to release “I Love You More” (for example, the one she sang at the Carling Academy in February 2007)? I don’t understand what the point is in releasing songs that fans have already heard. Even the vocals on the “Tears Dry” demo are THE SAME as those on Lioness. It’s SO frustrating because they had been doing the same since 2011 (when we heard Nas’ artificial voice along with Amy’s vocals)

 

This makes me think that either there are no unreleased recordings, or they’re deliberately keeping them under wraps for the long long long run.

 

there are 100% unreleased recordings, but apart from there probably being reasons they aren’t being released, what we’ve got for the 20th anniversary makes alot of sense as they are recordings from this era and demos from the album (as it’s the album’s birthday) and it fits, whereas more general unreleased stuff like covers or new material (if either ever come out) would make sense to be more disassociated with one album like back to black, like what they did with the lioness album

https://pitchfork.com/story/amy-winehouses-back-to-black-expanded-for-20th-anniversary-reissue/

 

I like the fact Just friends and Me and Mr.Jones demos are there.They could be the ones Salaam played samples of..

1 Like

There’s also a limited edition flower-filled vinyl LP from Bad World.
https://bad-world.co.uk/products/amywinehouse

I really wonder why they didn’t bother to release an unreleased live recording of inedit songs, such as ‘I love you More’ (live at Union Chapel) or ‘we are still friends’ (Zenith 2007). It’s an endlesss mistery. The audios from Paradiso have been known since ages, except for only ‘Addicted’

1 Like

 

i think it’s because paradiso is a recording at her prime sound with a short enough set that features songs from her discography and not cover songs, they probably do have pro recordings of ones you mentioned above but thought it wouldn’t fit with a celebration of back to black but some other one maybe. i do remember hearing that we’re still friends was the only thing that got recovered from union chapel though, can’t remember where

Turns out we do get a Bluray-Audio with a lossless Atmos Mix after all. Woohoo!! Hope they do the same thing with Frank.

 

(btw. merged the two threads on this subject)

3 Likes

What do y’all think? Is anything new going to be released/announced on her birthday?