'Back to Black' covered by...

Q magazine has made a new album calls Back to… Back to Black with Amy’s songs covered by different artist. It can be bought since 2th of July with the magazine. Amy’s in the cover!!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbgw41V1UrY

Oh my God! Thank you! I am excited about this, I just hope they do her justice. Ooooh wonder who is covering what? I will be buying it as soon as it is released!

It says it in the video!

Oh my God, I am so thick - didn’t even notice it was a video, thought it was a picture - duh… I’ll go back to sleep!

It’s available ONLY in UK??? WTF!?

OH YEEEES.I will probably buy it,as I will be in London :stuck_out_tongue: <3 >3

Oh…I don’t like most of these covers.

Me neither. I think this is a really great idea, but I don’t like the covers at all.

On the magazine cover it says : “One year on… Amy. New revelations about the voice of our time… and how we lost her”
I wonder what they mean with new revelations. Maybe just stuff from Mitch’s book?

Kind of like the Wake Up Alone and He Can Only Hold Her covers from the previews but the rest are just pretty bland; the Some Unholy War cover is awful.

Yeah, not sure what to make of those versions. Oh well, it is nice that there is a tribute to her on the anniversary… makes me wonder what else there will be.

Which months issue is this magazine???

I kind of like the He can only hold her and Addicted covers…other than that, some are just flat out bad! Great idea though

July?

If it is out in July it will probably be the August edition. (why do magazines do that?!)

Great concept, poor execution.

These covers really fall short of a tribute to her musical genius. Her music was more than words, it was the music and how it was arranged. They’re not doing her music any justice by altering the style of her music.

“Addicted” remains the closest to the original.

“Monkey Man” and “Valerie” are just embarrassing.

I agree with this…

I disagree with this. If these bands had done covers of Amy songs in the same style the danger would be that the covers just sound like inferior versions of her songs. Doing something different with them can showcase a band’s creativity while paying tribute to the original by showing Amy was an inspiration to them. Often the best covers are those by bands that reinvent a song completely in my opinion. Just look at the covers Johnny Cash did of the Nine Inch Nails song Hurt or Nick Cave’s The Mercy Seat. Totally different from the originals, but absolutely brilliant and more than doing the songs justice. Unfortunately from what I can hear of this preview I’m not overly impressed (hence my agreeing with your first statement), but maybe I’ll change my mind once I hear the full tracks.

Completely agree Cecilia, and those are great examples of covers you cited. I think covers should bring the song to a whole new level, make you experience it differently and surprise you…like what Amy did with Valerie. I like the original, but I like what Amy and Ronson did with it too.

I’m not impressed with these covers, and not half as open-minded as you though, as I don’t even feel like giving the full tracks a listen…

they sound quite rubbish to me… I’m interested to hear Manic Street Preachers’ version of Wake up alone because they are a good band, but the rest just sounds … blah

I’m not going to judge these covers right away since i’ve only heard small bits. But it will be an interesting listen for sure.