I only planned on looking at this site for a few minutes, then I was gonna go to sleep, but I guess I just want to say a few words…
I can’t believe it’s taken a whole year to finally accept that Amy’s not here with us anymore. It doesn’t hurt to say that she’s gone and I don’t get teary-eyed. It’s still weird to think about how much I cried when we all got the news, because after all, I never met her. Shit, I never even had the chance to see her live, so to feel so much pain for a person that I’ve never met is odd for me, but I accept that too.
When it comes to the future of popular music, I wonder about the kinds of musicians that will “make it” in the music industry and name-drop her as having a huge influence on themselves. What will those people’s music sound like? Will people think Amy’s irrelevant in the coming 30 years? Will they forget Amy Winehouse, but remember Katy Perry, Rhianna, Justin Beiber, etc? As a fan of hers, as a musician, and as a music lover, that question haunts me.
Enough of my rambling here. I’m just grateful that I experienced her music when she was still alive. I hope you all are doing okay…I’ll still be lurking around this forum and reading things.
I’ve thought about this same thing before. I’m pretty certain that artists will be listing Amy Winehouse as an influence for the next fifty or a hundred years. I think it just may be a few years before they start admitting it. I mean, remember when Adele and Duffy hit big and people were calling them the next Amy? I like both Duffy and Adele, and I’m definitely not saying that they are simply carbon copies of Amy. But anyone who think’s those two weren’t influenced by Amy is crazy. Right now, if someone says they were influenced by Amy, they might be accused of not being original or of ripping her off.
Give it ten years or so and I guarantee every new artist who has any talent will have Amy as an influence.
I guess I’m a little late on the emotional part.. it took me the day after the anniversary to have a complete meltdown over her, and yes it’s weird, and I’ve accepted that. But I’m finding the tears aren’t going away… I guess it depends on my mood. I just hope it won’t always be like this, but I think it might. I have so much love for that girl.
People who write their own lyrics especially about their experiences and have a unique way of getting it across along with a bold image are always going to be inspiring yet I’m still afraid she’s going to be forgotten in years to come. Maybe with time the respect for her will increase… I just wish she had gotten one more album out, just one! Ugh.
Adele is of course inspired by Amy but I really think we would have Adele without Amy. I didn’t feel Amy’s impact over here as much to say she led the way for her to do well in America. But Adele has her own thing going on, she’s a lot more bluesy while Amy is more r&b/urban. I think it’s the quality of her music and artistic honesty that inspires people the most.
I guess I’ve read somewhere that Adele herself admitted that Amy paved a road for singer like her in this industry. When Amy struggled with addiction, the world craved for her music.. That’s why there’s the like Duffy and Adele came in the big picture. As we all know, entering America’s charts is such a hard (if not impossible) thing to do for non-US singers. but Amy opened this road so other singers can get to America much easier.
I don’t care if most people (people in general) will forget Amy Winehouse. But surely ones with good musical taste and ones who close with her heart (like us, fans) will never ever forget her. Someday I’ll proudly say to my future kids that Amy Winehouse was a musician I’ve worshiped in my era. We never know how music will turn out in the next 10 or 20 years.. You know, it’s kinda tiring at some point hearing same beats over and over again (some even don’t use musical instrument no more!) *sigh