The second one is interesting, I like how they summed it up as not only a literal place, but a metaphorical one as well. Like where were you, inner you, when you found out she had passed, and referring to that event as a culturally significant one. Very cool concept.
I was getting ready for a wedding. I just got out of the shower, and was waiting for my volumizer to set before I blow dried my hair and put on my dress. I went online to get directions for where the reception was being held, and it popped up as the big story on my MSN homepage. I couldn’t believe it, honestly. Really really couldn’t believe it. I just felt really disappointed, it was very disheartening. I REALLY thought she was going to pull through this and the worst was behind her, I was sad to be mistaken in that. That was my very first impression.
She never left my mind, and later on in the evening after we got home, I went back on my laptop and revisited her music. I hadn’t listened to it in quite a while, to be honest. There hadn’t been new material since 2006, I discovered her in 2007, and those two albums were all there were. Frankly (lol), I was a bit tired of them by 2011, and hadn’t broke them out in a while. I re-fell in love with her all over again, which may not have been the smartest move on my part, because I was still feeling very very down about hearing the news earlier that afternoon. It put me in a bit of a really disappointed and really brokenhearted slump. For the coming months, I got a bit obsessed over finding out exactly what happened to her, and it took quite a long time to actually stop being a thought I had multiple times per day.
It was all very strange. I’m not much for celebritizing. I don’t go nuts over musicians, actors, artists, whatever; they’re just people, albeit very talented ones, and I never knew them personally. I’ve had other artists that I had admired pass on, and it never had the same effect on me, or even close, to what Amy’s passing did.
^Thanks for sharing… I probably should have made that the topic of this thread, but I didn’t want to get depressed going back to that time… it took me a year to really have a breakdown, but I’ve been so much better the past couple of months.
Like you, I liked her before, but I’ve grown to really love her since she died (somehow her music became more significant, and she became more human)… plus a lot of stuff came up that I hadn’t seen before, like interviews, so I just got to know her better… now I know too much about her, and I’m a super fan… I’ve never been a fan like this before of anyone, soo it’s an interesting experience for me… I’ve always thought fans were crazy people, never related to it, now I’m one of them… and it hasn’t been a bad experience so far!
Disappointed, heartbroken… yep, those are the feelings.
I would be really interested to go to that event… I think it’s in Canada, so if anyone’s in Canada, go!
What made it haunting and significant for me is quite unusual, literally in the early hours of July 23rd 2011, around 3-4am, I was sitting on my laptop playing around with the inbuilt webcam and I recorded myself miming to Take the Box (Hahaha yeah I know, but if you heard me actually sing you’d want to puncture your ear drums). Right after that, I logged off and went to sleep - I woke up around 11am and I went downstairs and had a look on Facebook where I saw a friend like a page called “R.I.P Amy Winehouse”, Initially, I thought ‘Ugh disrespectful’ but then I noticed that the page had 20,000 likes, so I had a look on google news and what do you know - “Amy Winehouse dead - Troubled singer found dead in London flat” I think I said something like “oh my god mam Amy Winehouse is dead” she said something like “oh no, I really hoped that she would pull through”. I put on BBC News and there it was - 30 Camden square with police tape surrounding it and Amy’s black Jeep settled beside a black ambulance.
It’s weird, but for me I always get upset when somebody says they don’t want to have children because I feel like children are a legacy I suppose and if you don’t have kids, that’s basically the end of your line and I hate that idea and for that reason I was devastated since Amy never got round to having a child, especially as she loved children and especially as in March of that year Amy looked so mature and reminded me of my auntie so much - you could just imagine her cooking away in her kitchen then serving it to her husband and kids in the living room before settling down and watching her ‘Eastendies’ but it never happened and it made me so upset because I thought she never got to do what she really wanted to do - be a normal housewife, raise a family and tell her grandchildren about performing with Tony Bennett.
I also felt annoyed cause I could feel the tsunami of “she should have said yes yes yes” “she deserved it” “amy crackhouse” jokes about to land
I hate thinking back to when i heard. even in radio docs when they replay the news broadcast it breaks me. when i visited amy’s home on her birthday i thought it would bring me closure but it didn’t. i had never stopped playing her music. she was the last artist played on my iPod before i heard she died. i didn’t want to hear her when i found out. it was a few days before i played her again.
I don’t know if it was my premonition that something will happen to Amy. But perhaps sometime after a week half with the whole Belgrade drama thing I found myself youtubing Amy’s entire music videos from the Frank to B2B. At that time I thought to myself “I must enjoy this because it won’t last long.” For the record when Amy was alive I barely could bring myself to watch the music videos because it was hard to see and comparing the Frank and B2B period. The more I watch it the more it makes me sad. But that night I don’t know why I watched it perhaps because of the whole Belgrade thing and I felt that I need to watch just to comfort me. It was somewhat comfort that night and literally I thought to myself “She got to pull it together and make it through.” Now looking back I understand why I felt that way.
My great uncle died on July 17 2011 due to the long years of alcoholism battle so we drove to Texas for his funeral, we returned home on late Thursday that week, I woke up late on Saturday July 23, I remember it was only noon when I login my facebook and saw the people magazine quoted “Amy Winehouse found dead” and I was like OH NO! I have never felt this disappointment like ever over a person that I never had met seriously. And only recently I finally accepted the fact that Amy is really gone after a year of denial that she is not here in this world to offer more of her songs. Her death is really a wake up call to the world.