Are arseholes at times, it’s been said on here before, about they wanted her to do another b2b style album, what do they know, its her evolving, as she did from Frank to B2B, onto whatever the next was guna be, she was aimin for Ska/reggae flavour wasn’t she, it’s her who has to sing these songs, and be known for them, b2b was dark n depressin enough for her, esp when she had to perform them for God knows how long, countless times.
They should have just accepted what she was bringing to the table, coz she could do any style/genre, re-invest herself, revive a sound and make it her own.
And as said in many prior threads, there plenty of songs that are around, from when she was a teen to now, why sit on them?, just issue them all, for fans and for her legacy, how versatile she could be. x
I don’t think they should flood the market. They will then be accused of expoliting fans and her name. I think they will stagger releases and therefore raise more money for the foundation, well I hope so anyway.
I was always under the impression that her record company gave her the freedom to do what she wanted, I can’t imagine them telling Amy what to do musically?
Don’t think anyone told Amy what to do, lol. But i remember Amy bein pissed when Frank was released coz she felt they didn’t put the strongest tracks on, and the result wasn’t what she was after, so, she was only 80% behind it, and used to say they were a bunch of dickheads, lol. x
Amy herself in 2010 said that “there’s going to be a lot of Jukebox Stuff” like B2B. I also think that the label gave her the freedom to do whatever she wants. I don’t think that they were trying to rush her, they even said that she’s not allowed to release another album until she gets in to rehab (that was in late 2008).
Her label is not the devil. They’ve shown interest in her well being over creating more music multiple times. If they wanted money our of her, she’d be on album 4 or 5 and have multiple compilations released every winter.
Aside from that, a label is a business and after Back to Black, one of the top artist. Amy had creative freedom. Maybe some stuff got rejected for whatever reason but everyone knows she wasn’t going to be some puppet made to pop out singles. Amy’s draw is her real was and how that’s reflected in her music.
Columbia released 4 lps after Janis died in 70…in 71, 72, 73 and 75. They have continued to release her music up until a few years ago. These labels are big business, make no mistake about it. We all know Amy could blow us away “live” when she wanted to, and there are alot of amazing performances captured on youtube and elsewhere. I just hope the record company is smart enough to find them and release them.
Theres so much, even a dvd, or something, coz at the end of the day, without them doin it in a leachy way n robbin fans blind, theres planty, live, tv, the videos, interviews, and all the previous material we have all mentioned already, be it demos, offcuts, covers, live, whatever, theres plenty, just don’t milk her and take piss outa fans wheile they do it, pointless all that material wastin, when theres an audience for it. x
Out of curiosity, how broad is the audience? Not everyone who loved Back to Black and was waiting on a follow up keeps tabs on posthumous releases. I think only the hardcore fans stick around after multiple releases. Hopefully I’m wrong (if the material continues to be good). At some point, I think it becomes excessive for most people and without singles on the radio or live performances, nothings there for the casual fan. Just my thoughts anyway.
It depends on how they decide promote it, I guess. I hope it’s not a case of Mitch visiting every talk show possible saying the same things over and over again, perhaps just let music speak for itself, radio singles should be enough for anyone even remotely interested to take more notice. Might not sell as much, but atleast it will end up being tasteful and not a Christmas cash-in.
pls correct me if I’m wrong, but she had a contract for 3 records. I don’t know what the legalities are surrounding future releases after the 3. The decision probably goes to the family…