Anyone read it?, i’ve glanced through it, she makes Amy sound like a nutcase and her parents abit not right, is she for real, seems abit far fetched in parts.
No ones read it then?, she makes Mitch and Janet sound abit upit too, anyone, got any opinion?
The best book about Amy I’ve ever read. Fresh, non-schematic, full of untold stories. Every true fan should read “Saving Amy” ![]()
Really, not feeling it, she makes Amy sound like a schizophrenic, and the parents sound detached, why would Amy behave towards this person the way she claims she did, the dress incident, doesn’t sound like the Amy we have seen in interviews and stuff, not does it sound like the mitch and janis in parts.
I know that’s “only” book, so I don’t take everything literally but “Saving Amy” contains great case-studies. We can know the way of thinking/feeling of Amy’s dad, mom, stepmother and Dafne. That’s unique, that’s fresh. While reading “SA”, we can make psychological portrets of these people.
///sorry for the mistakes I’ve probably made!
I can’t remember who, (maybe Elsie?) if you go back to much older threads, you’ll find a whole thread about ‘saving amy’. the ones that read it added posts to the thread, but the person that started the thread wrote quite a good detailed account of their thoughts.
i think in the end, they said that if you were really an Amy fan, you’d enjoy the read.
THX … i will buy it !
http://www.robinbook.ch/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/BC-RB-Site/de_CH/-/CHF/Search-Start?firstSearch=&categoryFilter=&volltext=saving%20amy&WAN=82222&WBT=08052&gclid=CI_nhprAu6sCFYMKfAod5GP5vQ
Nah wasn’t me, I didn’t read it. Don’t really read biographies tbh, well not about her. I think us fans who followed her 4 years or more probably know more about her than these so called writers …so this also answers the original thread question on my behalf ![]()
^sorry, Elsie. I couldn’t remember for sure. didn’t mean to put words in anyone’s mouth. I wish i could find the thread. I looked but couldn’t find. It started maybe back in '09 or '10.
lol don’t worry about it. Could this be the thread? crol’s post had a good review.
I’m looking for it want to read it when I can.
Hmv, whsmiths, so on. It makes me uncomfy, just was she depicts them, and herself, like she’s something special, deluded twat!, best one upto now, is the chas newton one, he seems to be alright. x
I read the Kindle version.
In some ways, it was very insightful. In some parts, I thought she had Mitch and Janis pegged perfectly, but in other ways, she was just full of crap.
While reading it, there were parts where Amy’s parents reminded me of my own. My father was attention-seeking and loud like hers, and my mom was passive and seemingly cold like hers. I could read it and think, yeah, Amy probably felt this and felt that because of her parents’ behavior at times.
But I think she misinterpreted ALL of their behavior for the purpose of making her book more sensational.
Her father was loud, boisterous, and in some major damned denial, but I don’t think he ever meant for anything but to help his daughter. He had flaws - he may have done better to admit some of her mental issues and addiction issues to himself - but he was her daddy - of course he wanted to think she was alright! And of course he wanted to blame other people for her issues at times. That’s an entirely human response.
And her mother didn’t understand Amy’s excesses, and she just shut down a little bit to deal with it. She loved her kid - dearly so, it seems - but she knew there was only so much that could be done. And I don’t think she wanted to take the chance of being rejected.
These weren’t people who reacted to the addiction of a loved one in anything other than the textbook way. They were different reactions, but they weren’t uncommon. And short of sectioning her, there isn’t much they could’ve done that they didn’t do. People will say they should’ve had her sectioned, but that ain’t as easily done as said. I’m in the States, and it took 4 years to section my delusional, deeply bi-polar (and alcoholic) grandfather who was shitting himself and brushing his teeth with razors - and after we did, he flung himself down the stairs of the mental hospital, killing himself.
In other words, I hate that she vilified Amy’s parents. A lot of people vilified my father and me after my grandfather’s death, saying we should’ve done this and that, but we did all we could. It’s not their fault, and it’s not Blake’s fault, and it’s not Reg’s fault, and it’s not even really her fault that what happened to her came to pass.
And that story about Amy basically becoming violent about a dress or physically hurting Daphne and her team if they stayed? Please. Even if she’d hit them, she was no more than 5’2" and 95 lbs at the time, and she didn’t strike me as the type to stab a person in their sleep.
Some of it seemed right. She did seem like she could be a little stunted and child-like. I obviously didn’t know her, but I could see where that could be the case. But violent past a little slap or a scratch? Nah. If she’d been a monstrous little terror, she wouldn’t have had so many people standing by her over the years. She made tea for *paparazzi* and rarely got pissed off unless they were crowding her goddaughter or literally chasing her down the street. An inherently violent person wouldn’t take that crap. You have to drive someone like that to a reaction. Daphne’s lucky she got what she did.
/rant
As an aside, why are Americans so forgiving of guys like Robert Downey Jr., Jim Belushi, or Heath Ledger for being addicts yet so resentful of women like Amy Winehouse, Lindsay Lohan, or Britney Murphy for their addictions? Amy and Britney likely didn’t even die of drug overdoses, and they’re vilified and we’re told that it was all their fault, but Jim Belushi and Heath Ledger were tragic. People worked hard to get Robert Downey Jr. insured and back into business, but they immediately wrote off Lohan (not that she’s as talented, but…).
I had a discussion about this recently with a friend when he was making fun of Carrie Fisher’s addictions but talking about how Jim Belushi’s death was ‘such a shame’ and everyone ‘should’ve done more’ to save him. We had this discussion after watching Blues Brothers, which Fisher was in because she was a friend of Belushi’s. They were drug buddies, in fact. So why was his death a ‘shame’ whilst she should be ashamed of herself? Do y’all think it’s a gender issue?
Heath Ledger wasn’t an addict… he died of a prescription drug overdose (something for pneumonia, plus sleeping pills and anti-depressants). Much like Amy’s death, it was incorrectly blamed on recreational drugs. (I don’t mean to be rude in correcting you, I just really loved Heath Ledger - and the grief I went through over him has really helped me now.)
I think the public’s approach is deeply wrong towards both male and female addicts. Heath Ledger is still getting his share of “stupid drug addict deserved it” comments… But women do get it worse, probably because women in the entertainment industry are still valued primarily for their looks - and drugs ruin them. I can’t count the number of comments I’ve heard about how “disgusting” Amy looks (same with Kate Moss and various other addicts as they appear in the news). No one seemed to care until photographs were published. It’s not the fact they’re addicts, it’s that they dare not to care about their appearance. Men don’t quite have that problem.
Robert Downey Jr, though, is the only one of the people you listed who was an actual addict and survived (I don’t count Lindsey Lohan, I think it’s all a bit exaggerated). And those who survive and overcome their addictions always get more respect - whether it’s RDJ, Iggy Pop or whoever else. People focus on the survivors and forget the dead - it’s only logical. But RDJ is incredibly talented and I’m very glad he’s respected again.
As for this book… I haven’t read it, but even reading about it makes me nauseous. Is it just me? What’s with the modern trend of writing presumptuous celebrity biographies? They write for shock value, nothing about the art or the talent of their subjects. I can’t stand it. It turns someone’s real and personal life into a soap opera for public consumption.
Lohan has been given more than enough chances to sort herself out tbh. She seems to enjoy the attention and I think people stopped feeling sorry for that reason.
Oh, I don’t disagree that Lohan isn’t as sympathetic a figure - and she’s not even so talented - because of her attitude, but she gets it worse than a lot of dudes who have also had many chances to clean out and who have been arrested. Like Tom Sizemore, for example.
And I do love RDJ and am thrilled he’s clean, but the paps a not all crowding around like cultures waiting for the day he relapses like tried with Amy.
And, yeah, Lohan’s had many chances, but many people also gave Amy chances that she blew (Belgrade, for one), and we still had some empathy. I’m not a Lohan fan, but it has to bfe hard to get clean when employees of the rehab you’re I’m sell your information to the tabloids.
And I really apologize for the Heath Ledger mistake! I didn’t know; the U.S. media never corrected that.
It looks like he was just taking antibiotics and Ambien. That’s scary - I’m a chronic insomniac, and I take Ambien.
Oh, don’t apologize - I just wanted to point it out. Yeah, I’ve been paranoid about taking any kind of medication since then… (which isn’t good.)
Personally, I just never took the rumours of Lohan’s addiction seriously. I always thought people are sick of her appearing in the tabloids all the time, not dismissive because she’s actually an addict.
Then again, before I actually listened to her, I never took the rumours of Amy’s addiction seriously either. It was so hard to believe that in the twenty-first century stars still get addicted for real… I thought that it was all a publicity stunt. Of course, after hearing her I realised it was all true. Unfortunately.
I think many people might be making the same mistake - assuming it isn’t serious when it is.
I do like Lindsay Lohan - she’s in some dreadful films, but she was great in Prairie Home Companion… I hope, if she really is in as bad a shape as everyone says, that she gets better.
Lohan’s family is a hot mess; I think that’s why I have some empathy. I don’t think there’s one person honestly trying to help that girl.
I’m pretty sure she’s an addict, but I’m guessing it’s more prescription pills now. She always has a glassy, zombified look to her. Hollywood is filled with ‘script docs’, and they know how to get a person high with legitimate drugs. And if someone’s on methodone to kick a drug addiction, like Mike Starr was (no one discussed it in the media, calling out just a small amount of Xanax and alcohol, but he was on methodone when he was on Celebrity Rehab), all it takes is one benzo to give them a high that feels just like heroin. I don’t think that’s quite as common in the U.K., but the Hollywood crowd always mentions it (after they get caught).
Doctors should be more accountable for that. Usually they just lose their licenses, but the ones who prescribe someone 5 anti-anxiety meds, hydrocodone, and then top it off with some Adderall should be indicted for manslaughter more often.
But, back to the book, it’s worth reading with a shaker full of sea salt. I cringed at the Daphne-is-a-beloved-saint theme throughout the book and thought that she was a condescending bitch throughout the whole book, but there were some interesting insights.
Thank you, that daphine was so deluded, she bigger than Amy?, what in height, she full of shit for the most part for me anyway.