something cool

I read this and thought it would be nice to post it here…
It’s unbelivable how so many people never heard Amy singing.

Recommendation From Me to You

By Ryan Ritchie in Etc., bands we like, shamelessly self-referential
Monday, Aug. 10 2009 @ 11:34AM

Maybe you noticed I didn’t blog last week. Or maybe you didn’t. OK, you probably didn’t. Anyway, I hit the road and spent the week in Portland, Ore., a city I hope to call home one day.

The trip was amazing – tons of killer vegan food, the weather was nice and the beer flowed all day and all night. But perhaps the coolest part of the vacation was the fact that I “discovered” Amy Winehouse.

Yes folks, three years after she became a household name, I finally heard Back to Black and guess what? It’s pretty effing good.

In all fairness, my girlfriend has been into the record since it came out, but I’ve heard only bits and pieces of it through my bathroom door (she listens to it in the shower, like, all the time).

At some point on the 15-hour drive north, we heard every Howard Stern Show that was playing that day and still had nine hours to go, so my better half busted out her iPod and asked if we could listen to Winehouse. “Sure, why not?” I asked. The tunes would make her happy, and when you’re driving that distance, when your girlfriend is happy, you’re happy.

By the end of the disc, I was really diggin’ it and wondered why it took me so damn long to come around to the fact that Winehouse has actual talent. Then I remembered the media circus that surrounds her and that old rule of mine: if that many people are into it, it’s gotta suck. But l admit, on this one, I was wrong.

So for the remaining two of you in the modern world who hasn’t hopped on board the Amy Winehouse Express, I’m telling you: Do it. Crackhead/junkie/wino/trainwreck/whatever…the girl can sing.

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/heardmentality/bands-we-like/recommendation-from-me-to-you/

Nice article. A lot of people never make it past the negative publicity.

that’s great ashlee. love this line “Crackhead/junkie/wino/trainwreck/whatever…the girl can sing.” i would add she can sure write 'em as well.

the blogger even goes so far to post the following:

“Here’s a clip of better days to prove my point. And Amy, if you read this: Girl, get your shit together.”

and then an embedded youtube vid of Amy singing live…Tears Dry on Their Own -

Yay Amy…another surprised convert.

It’s a shame that the drama has eclipsed the music in the public eye lately but I have converted many people after they actually listened to her. Let’s hope that from now on she gets coverage for the right reasons.

“Crackhead/junkie/wino/trainwreck/whatever… the girl can sing.”
Not new to us…LMAO.
Still…true.

I converted my best friends, Sophie was more open minded, and so gave it a try and has been a great lover since. My other friend, Megan, likes to listen to peices every now and again, but instead of just the typical Valerie/Rehab/Back to black, she listens to other tracks on the albums. :slight_smile:

This made me smile. Thanks for posting.

I’m glad you liked the article! I thought it was very cool, mainly because he let himself go and forget about the wrong idea that averyone has about Amy Winehouse, and discovered a beautifull artist and the amazing woman behind all this garbage called tabloids…
I’m so happy I didn’t let myself go into that wave of hate about her… I feel blessed, i really do…Thank God there’s an artist like Amy.

Lily Allen said it very well: